NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Max Extreme X2 Questions
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am 
Learner

I am trying to get a little smarter on some functions of the Max Extreme X2.

My current setup is a dry system using a single pulsoid driven by the PWM output of the ECU I am using (Megasquirt MS3X).

I am looking at upgrade paths to a Revo.

On the Max Extreme X2, would the 0-100% PWM Input allow me to operate the Revo directly from the same PWM signal used now to drive the pulsoid? The PWM signal is a switched ground signal (Constant 12 volts supplied to a solid state relay; the ECU switches the ground signal to control the PWM). I assume the PWM signal from the ECU could be connected directly to the Max Extreme X2? Or does the Max Extreme X2 require a 12 volt going high PWM input? (Would still require the solid state relay to invert the ECU signal?).

For the MS3X ECU, this 0-100% input seems to be a better fit than the ECU to Revo interface unit I think engineered for Cecil’s Motec ECU?). Additionally the Max Extreme X2 Would allow for more flexibility in the future for other installs or applications)

Thanks again as always!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Max Extreme X2 Questions
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:20 am 
Site Admin

fj1289 wrote:

My current setup is a dry system using a single pulsoid driven by the PWM output of the ECU I am using (Megasquirt MS3X).

On the Max Extreme X2, would the 0-100% PWM Input allow me to operate the Revo directly from the same PWM signal used now to drive the pulsoid? The PWM signal is a switched ground signal (Constant 12 volts supplied to a solid state relay; the ECU switches the ground signal to control the PWM). I assume the PWM signal from the ECU could be connected directly to the Max Extreme X2? Or does the Max Extreme X2 require a 12 volt going high PWM input? (Would still require the solid state relay to invert the ECU signal?).

For the MS3X ECU, this 0-100% input seems to be a better fit than the ECU to Revo interface unit I think engineered for Cecil’s Motec ECU?). Additionally the Max Extreme X2 Would allow for more flexibility in the future for other installs or applications)

Thanks again as always!

You can't drive a REVO directly from from the same kind of signal as you're driving the Pulsoid but you can drive it using that signal if you add our ECU to REVO interface unit.
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-contro ... rface.html

The alternative is use a Max Extreme, which can be linked to the ECU using one of a number of optional methods, depending on how you want the system to perform.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
fj1289 wrote:

Thanks again as always!

You can't drive a REVO directly from from the same kind of signal as you're driving the Pulsoid but you can drive it using that signal if you add our ECU to REVO interface unit.
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-contro ... rface.html
Re-reading my question, I was not clear as I should have been! I was looking for a way to “translate” my existing signal for the Revo ... your answer below takes care of it! Thanks!

The alternative is use a Max Extreme, which can be linked to the ECU using one of a number of optional methods, depending on how you want the system to perform.
This sounds like what I would like to do. Using the ECU-REVO interface will require changing the current method for activating the nitrous and coordinating the correct fueling, and would open up many more ways for user error to end the day badly! It sounds like the Max Extreme is the better solution in this case.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

fj1289 wrote:
Re-reading my question, I was not clear as I should have been! I was looking for a way to “translate” my existing signal for the Revo ... your answer below takes care of it! Thanks!
Glad I figured it out for you, as I wasn't entirely sure what reply was required.

This sounds like what I would like to do. Using the ECU-REVO interface will require changing the current method for activating the nitrous
How are you currently activating the system, as I can't think of a reason why that would need changing?

and coordinating the correct fueling, and would open up many more ways for user error to end the day badly!
I'm not sure that would be the case.

It sounds like the Max Extreme is the better solution in this case.
Whatever you're happy with is fine by me.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:18 am 
Learner

ECU to REVO Interface question -- the product instructions call for a PWM input frequency from 40 to 70 Hz. The ECU I am using has multiple settings for the PWM frequency, but a bit limited at that end of the range - would 78 Hz or 39 Hz be workable?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

fj1289 wrote:
ECU to REVO Interface question -- the product instructions call for a PWM input frequency from 40 to 70 Hz. The ECU I am using has multiple settings for the PWM frequency, but a bit limited at that end of the range - would 78 Hz or 39 Hz be workable?

Thanks!

I don't know for certain as I've not personally tested the units but I would expect the 40 to 70 range to be optimum and anything outside that, would be less than optimum but at 1 or 2 Hz from optimum, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:34 pm 
Learner

Thanks for the timely response as always Trevor!