NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: My first nitrous kit!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 am 
Learner

Necessity being the mother of invention, I figured I could try to use the barbed fitting. I had to chop off the end to make it fit all the way into the fuel line (reason takes too long to explain). It seemed like it might work, but when I started the car, fuel sprayed everywhere. Hopefully, I can at the very least repair the fuel line. Looks like tomorrow (actually today) is going to be interesting. I know exactly where the leak is happening (take a guess...lol)...the dammed barbed tube wont seal on the plastic fuel line. How to adapt plastic to rubber fuel line is the question I have to find the answer for!

Attachments:
barbed fitting.jpg
barbed fitting.jpg [ 75.57 KiB | Viewed 33359 times ]
this_might_work.jpg
this_might_work.jpg [ 124.56 KiB | Viewed 33359 times ]
oh_yeah_ready_to_test.jpg
oh_yeah_ready_to_test.jpg [ 390.07 KiB | Viewed 33359 times ]

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 am 
Learner

https://youtu.be/6gAfRApBTZk

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am 
Wizard

hi
yep had the same trouble with the mx5 plastic pipe, like yours OD didn't fit.... the focus line is plastic too
not sure its possible with your jag but i ended up attaching a rubber fuel line to the ends of the plastic
pipe and use the barbed t piece as intended :blackeye:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 am 
Learner

That is what I am planning to do for the time being, until I can source a proper nylon pipe to AN fitting. Do you remember what size rubber hose the barbed fuel-t fitting fits into?? I am thinking 5/16 but not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:34 pm 
Wizard

just had a look in my nitrous box of tricks and there is some left over fuel hose in there .. it says 5/16
pretty sure its the only hose i bought, so should be a safe bet ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:01 am 
Site Admin

It must be bigger than 5/16" ID hose that's needed, because that's equivalent to 8mm and that's what the fittings we supplied are intended for, so I'm guessing it must be 3/8" (10mm).

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:54 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
It must be bigger than 5/16" ID hose that's needed, because that's equivalent to 8mm and that's what the fittings we supplied are intended for, so I'm guessing it must be 3/8" (10mm).

Yes, It is 3/8 nylon. This bump in the road has completely sidelined me. Bad luck that my fuel lines were too big for the t-fitting. But you gave me a work around via the NPT fitting suggestion, so its all good. I literally chopped up the fuel line and I feel fortunate to get the barbed ferules far enough into the nylon pipe so it wont leak (knock on wood!!!). It should hold until a new fuel line gets here, although it will take ten days. Jaguar North America does not replace many fuel lines, so they have to ship them in as needed from Albion...lol...anyhoo.....I decided to hold off on installing the fuel connections and fuel transducer until I get the new line, that way I can do a proper install. Here is the Frankenstein creation that is keeping gas from spraying all over the engine bay. Will drive slow for the next two weeks....and invest in a fire extinguisher! I really need to do a better job on this, but I am running out of nylon pipe...I have been slowly cutting away pieces of it while trying different band-aid solutions.

Attachments:
frankenstein's monster.jpg
frankenstein's monster.jpg [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 33321 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

You shouldn't need a new fuel line Raul.

That rubber pipe solution looks OK on the right side of your picture, so can't you just replicate that on the left?

Here's a little tip to help make sure the rubber stays secured to the plastic pipe;
1) Either obtain some small grade stainless steel wire (like mig welding wire) or strip out some suitable grade copper ground wire from some domestic cable
2) Wrap suitable lengths of this wire round the rubber hose where it overlaps the plastic pipe
3) Twist the ends of the wire as tight as you can, to tighten the wires grip on the hose

This produces a higher pressure and more consistent clamping/sealing effect than a pipe clip and for additional security you can add any number of those that you're happy with.
Once the plastic hose is effectively converted to rubber hose (which by the way needs to be capable of handling in the region of 150 psi with a bit of a margin for safety), you can extend the length back to what the nylon pipe started life as.
If you then convert the black T piece to 1/8 NPY and fit 2 10mm barbs to it, that should enable you to get the job done. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:51 pm 
Wizard

so we really need this for the won nylon t piece then ...
https://ibb.co/iAJPV7

please be aware i may be totally wrong :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

teddybare wrote:
so we really need this for the won nylon t piece then ...
https://ibb.co/iAJPV7

please be aware i may be totally wrong :D

Sorry Ted but no that's not a solution.

However, a T piece with that female version on one side and a male version on the other, with a 5mm nylon pipe connection on the 3rd leg would be ideal. Unfortunately that's not ever likely to exist for a couple of reasons;
1) It would be extremely difficult to make in metal, so it really has to be plastic
2) If it was made in plastic we'd have to manufacture a few million, because the production system doesn't lend itself to small quantities
3) Even if we could make a much smaller quantity, securing an 5mm pipe to it would be risky, as it would be likely to crack due to the compression forces applied to the olive.

Without doubt our current method is best and had been doing the job well for many years, it's just unfortunate that Raul is the first customer we've encountered whose car uses a bigger pipe than all our previous customers.

At least we now know that a larger pipe is used on some vehicles, so we'll get some 10mm versions in stock and when supplying to anyone with a Jag or similar, we'll ask customers to check the size of fuel pipe, before we send out the system.

As the saying goes, every cloud has a silver lining, so at least we've learned something new, from Raul's experience.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 pm 
Wizard

dam plastic everywhere trev.... :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yup and far too much of it ends up in the sea. :tard: :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:06 am 
Learner

So I was driving the Jag today and it began sputtering. I glanced at my AFR and I was running 23.49 at full throttle. Very responsive though...and the sound was amazing...hahahaha!!!!

White smoke coming out of my tail pipes every time I punched the throttle. Not good. Made it home though.

I am pretty sure my frankenstein setup is responsible. So....I cut the whole fuel feed pipe out and will wait until I have a new line delivered. Here is my question. To what extent will switching to a 5/16 nylon fuel feed line (down from 3/8) effect fuel pressure and flow rate? Since the problem i had was that my lines were too large for the t-fitting, this would be the easiest solution to this problem. Second solution is to find a t-fitting that can accept the 3/8 line from left to right and the fuel transducer set-up at the top. This t- fitting does not exist in the wild west.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:22 pm 
Wizard

hey what happened to ...Will drive slow for the next two weeks :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

DaJagFather wrote:
So I was driving the Jag today and it began sputtering. I glanced at my AFR and I was running 23.49 at full throttle. Very responsive though...and the sound was amazing...hahahaha!!!!

White smoke coming out of my tail pipes every time I punched the throttle. Not good. Made it home though.

I am pretty sure my frankenstein setup is responsible.
I very much doubt that will be the case, as the REVERSE would be more likely. 99 times out of a 100 when something unexpected occurs (like this), that may 'APPEAR' to be linked to the nitrous system fitting, it's proven to be something totally unrelated and just a coincidence. I would expect it to be more likely to be related to ECU.

So....I cut the whole fuel feed pipe out and will wait until I have a new line delivered.
I doubt that was necessary and I doubt it will fix anything.

Here is my question. To what extent will switching to a 5/16 nylon fuel feed line (down from 3/8) effect fuel pressure and flow rate?
It would substantially REDUCE flow rate but as far as I'm aware you haven't done that. For a start the 10mm is the OUTSIDE diameter and the INSIDE diameter will at best be (biggest) 5/16 = 8mm
The rubber pipe is sold on INSIDE diameter, so those 5/16" rubber connector hoses, will be roughly the same INSIDE diameter, as the 10mm (3/8") nylon pipe.
However, to maintain the original flow rate, the bore of the barbed tails also need to have a bore of 5/15" (8mm), otherwise they will neck the flow route down and reduce flow.
Having said all the above, ALL fuel delivery systems have roughly a 30% excess capacity, so even restricted, it should still flow an adequate amount.

Since the problem i had was that my lines were too large for the t-fitting, this would be the easiest solution to this problem. Second solution is to find a t-fitting that can accept the 3/8 line from left to right and the fuel transducer set-up at the top. This t- fitting does not exist in the wild west.
Based on the info above, all you need is some 8mm (5/16") INTERNAL diameter barbs, with 1/8 NPT threads and then retap the black ally block. If you're not keen on that, I should be able to obtain a 10mm version of the brass T-piece, along with suitable nuts, olives and adaptors, to do the job as you were last attempting to do. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:45 pm 
Learner

I replaced the entire line with 5/16 rubber fuel line. I started the car, but it is just flooded with gas. ..very hard to start. When it finally does crank over, it runs rough and I have smoke coming out of the tail pipes. Its running super rich...better than lean, but not good. I haven't done anything else other than fiddle with the fuel feed.

I ran the car on the street for a bit, CEL light is on. I am getting P0030X codes...cylinder misfires....All I can do is wait for the OEM hose to get here and hoepfully that will get the car running normal again unless something got into the lines while they were disconnected and is clogging a fuel injector. I have to figure this out before I move forward. Hope I didn't screw something up...I just can't think what would be causing the car to dump so much fuel into the combustion chamber.

Last edited by DaJagFather on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Like I said in my previous post, it is most likely to jst be a coincidence and NOTHING to do with anything you have done.

The ONLY explanations that I'm aware of for your experience are;

1) If the fuel system is of the return type, a restriction in the return line (regulator or pipe), would result in higher line pressure and excessive fuel delivery.
2) The only other possible explanation is the ECU doing something it shouldn't be like; i) If it's not a return type fuel system, the ECU could be overdriving the fuel pump, ii) Whatever the fuel system, the ECU could over operate the injector on time.

If it's anything other than one of these I'll be very surprised but I have been surprised 'occasionally' before now.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:24 pm 
Wizard

wonder how DaJagFather is getting on .... :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

He's waiting for a new (spare) manifold and some time, so he can drill it with impunity and not risk messing up the only one he has.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 pm 
Wizard

ahhh im doing the same trev for the focus ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 am 
Learner

Wow...has it been a year???? :cheers:

Still haven't set up the NOS yet. Been ultra busy with work and getting divorced...and married again..can i blame it all on the nitrous????...lol :omgrofl:

Anyhoo, car has been sitting around. Hopefully I will have time this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:18 pm 
Wizard

i would say you have done a lot in 12 months :D