NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TPS connection question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm 
Learner

My BMWZ4 appears to have Throttle body with combined wiring from a) Fly by wire control from the accelerator peddle b) TPS wiring, so there are 6 wires in one combined plug to the Throttle body, I need to connect the TPS part to my max extreme but how do I work out which is the correct wire, pls see pictures below with a rough diagram i drew for the wire colours, thanks
Attachment:
20170219_134414.jpg
20170219_134414.jpg [ 483.46 KiB | Viewed 12844 times ]

Attachment:
20170219_145319.jpg
20170219_145319.jpg [ 452.73 KiB | Viewed 12844 times ]

Attachment:
20170219_150137.jpg
20170219_150137.jpg [ 504.32 KiB | Viewed 12844 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: TPS connection question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:25 pm 
Wizard

You need to use a voltmeter with a probe to find the signal feedback wire (typically 0-5volts). The needle probes (or small steel wire) are needed because the connector must be secured in order to read the values. It's MUCH easier to find out which one it is with an electrical diagram or perhaps search online for a schematic showing the wiring connections. If you can find it, post it here and I can figure out which wire is the signal wire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:54 pm 
Learner

Right I have a multimeter no problem so I need to reinstate the plug, use the needle probes on the plug from its rear and look for the termininal with 0-5v voltage move up and down when the accelerator peddle is pressed/depressed. Does just the ignition need to be on or the egine running and is the 0-5v measured between the correct pin and earth.

Could there be a similar variable pin reading for the fly by wire system as well as the TPS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
Right I have a multimeter no problem so I need to reinstate the plug, use the needle probes on the plug from its rear and look for the termininal with 0-5v voltage move up and down when the accelerator peddle is pressed/depressed. Does just the ignition need to be on or the egine running and is the 0-5v measured between the correct pin and earth.

The key should be in the 'ON' position without the engine running. Simply pressing the accelerator may or may not work, depending on the programming. Therefore, you may have to actuate the butterfly manually to check the readings.

Could there be a similar variable pin reading for the fly by wire system as well as the TPS.

Not sure what you mean by that question, but all I can say is that the TPS AND the Throttle motor are in that one connector so there is a chance that you could be reading the motor voltage as well so look out for that. The TPS should be at a relativity low voltage then climb towards 5v as the butterfly is opened.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:04 am 
Learner

I dont think I can move the butterfly manually im assuming its connected to some servo drive but I have not really tried, I gave it a nudge the other day and it didnt move with a gentle touch, once my pin probe leads arrive I will investigate further on your advice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm 
Wizard

I tried to find some kind of wiring diagram for your vehicle online to no avail. What you can try (but did not work for my case) is to check the resistance of the pins. If you find a pin that changes the resistance values (while moving the butterfly) then that should be the TPS signal output. I found on my vehicle that more than one pin did this, which is why I needed power applied to the car to better help find the signal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:29 pm 
Learner

Yes i spent qite a bit of time looking too, although theres loads of stuff out there it does appear tricky to find the relavent diagrams, my Haynes manual just shows more common and basic diagrams, I have messaged a few sellers on ebay for info on BMW TIS or dealer manuals, no replies yet. There are some really clever guys out there tho, some of my searches have thrown up quite a few people doing engine swaps with all the associated wiring that is associated with the engine management.
I'm sure with some perseverance and logic we will get there in the end :bounce:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm 
Wizard

8) :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 pm 
Learner

Right just been out back probing! With the ignition on and the plug inserted I found 2 of the 6 wires had 5v and the others nothing when I moved the butterfly manually....except the brown/green wire which showed 4.21v butterfly fully closed and 0.28v fully open...do you reckon thats my wire?

I dont know if i read it somewhere or its just my brain but I expected the reading to be 0 closed and 5v open!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 pm 
Wizard

I would have expected it to be so as well, it's possible that it's the reverse with BMW. You can make the Maxy read the opposite voltages within the settings:

Quote:
CAUTION: The ‘Active =’ value must be set to a figure that represents a minimum of 80% open
throttle.
NOTE: The ‘Higher Than =’ value should change to ON when the throttle is pressed beyond the ‘Active
=’ set point.
Where the throttle position sensor output is reversed (i.e. 5V down to 0V as the throttle opens), scroll
to ‘Rising Voltage’ by using <ENTER>> <UP> and/or <DOWN> to change to ‘Falling Voltage’. This
will reverse the unit function so the system is activated when the ‘Actual =’ value is lower than the
‘Active =’ value (rather than higher) as the throttle is pressed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:18 pm 
Learner

What bit of manual is that from, I dont recall seeing it before?

So just to be clear and correct me if im wrong I splice in to the TPS wire and connect that to terminal R10 "throttle input" of my max extreme?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm 
Wizard

Yes, that should do it.

The info is listed under "Throttle Menu" in the instruction manual for the Maxy.