NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MG ZS TD nitrous and tune
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:02 pm 

hi everyone first post on here so please bear with me, ive currently got a MG ZS TD with a few mods

stainless decat
EGR delete
induction kit
rover sdi injectors
boost turned up to 21 psi

i have been searching the forum for some time but cant seem to find answer for my questions so here goes.

1 when i take my car for a remap will the tuner be able to get my car to run rich on a wot?

2 i know that with a petrol car a 50 shot mans you got 50 hp is it the same for a diesel as long as there is enough black smoke (fuel) on wot?

3 i did a google search for how long will a 10lb nitorus bottle last at 100 shot it came up with this on a few other forums (: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.) does that seem about right? not planning on running a 100 shot myself

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: MG ZS TD nitrous and tune
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:53 pm 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
hi everyone first post on here so please bear with me, ive currently got a MG ZS TD with a few mods

Welcome to the forum! :D

stainless decat
EGR delete
induction kit
rover sdi injectors
boost turned up to 21 psi

i have been searching the forum for some time but cant seem to find answer for my questions so here goes.

1 when i take my car for a remap will the tuner be able to get my car to run rich on a wot?

The tuner should be able to richen up the mix, but how much is dependent on the fuel system capacity, ultimately.

2 i know that with a petrol car a 50 shot mans you got 50 hp is it the same for a diesel as long as there is enough black smoke (fuel) on wot?

With the lower RPM range of diesels, a 50 bhp jetting on a diesel may not provide 50hp however the torque increase will be equivalent to that of a 50 shot on a petrol engine. Since torque is what accelerates the car, the more torque your engine can produce the faster you'll get up to speed. And diesels are torque monsters! To boot, the turbo will deliver nearly double the amount of torque for the jetting size. So if you normally make an extra 50 lb/ft of torque extra on a non-turbo diesel, a turbo diesel COULD give you 100 more lb/ft given you have enough fuel. :yes:

3 i did a google search for how long will a 10lb nitorus bottle last at 100 shot it came up with this on a few other forums (: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.) does that seem about right? not planning on running a 100 shot myself

For 100 shot jetting on a WON system, you're looking at 5.23 lbs/min at @750 psi which gives you about 2 minutes on a 10lb bottle. And 2 minutes is a long time to be at WOT. Since you also have a turbo, you'll end up using less nitrous for the jetting which will extend the time that you're nitrous supply lasts, and in this case almost 4 minutes. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:05 pm 

thanks for the fast reply everything answered in one post. :salute:
I didn't know that i could produce up to double to torque and 4 minutes on a 50 shot that is a long time at wot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:07 pm 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
thanks for the fast reply everything answered in one post. :salute:
I didn't know that i could produce up to double to torque and 4 minutes on a 50 shot that is a long time at wot.

:yes:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02 pm 

Another quick question for you pros. With my diesel when I take it to get remapped will they advance the timing at all?

If they do will this cause any problems when on the spray? I know would on a petrol just not sure about a diesel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:07 pm 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
Another quick question for you pros. With my diesel when I take it to get remapped will they advance the timing at all?

If they do will this cause any problems when on the spray? I know would on a petrol just not sure about a diesel

Although my diesel knowledge is limited, I would suggest leaving the fuel timings alone and focus only on delivering as much fuel as possible for nitrous to make power. Increasing the fuel timing is the same as advancing ignition timing on a petrol engine and since nitrous increases the combustion rate of fuels, peak cylinder pressures would increase significantly and that could cause damage to the engine.

And in order to make more power beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel system, adding propane and water injection would make a SIGNIFICANT amount more power.

Hopefully, The Wizard will chime in and give his two cents in this regard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 pm 

Cheers I'm only just getting into the world of nitrous that's why so many questions. Also is there any way of knowing a safe limit to increase to? Without it going boom like in that vid you uploaded. I don't fancy getting a rebuild lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 am 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
Cheers I'm only just getting into the world of nitrous that's why so many questions. Also is there any way of knowing a safe limit to increase to? Without it going boom like in that vid you uploaded. I don't fancy getting a rebuild lol

Don't be discouraged by that video as that was due to some other factor (possibly from operator error or another form of fuel injection like propane). I just post those things from time to time to stir up the forum a bit.

As I've mentioned, I have a limited knowledge of diesels (only that of which I learned on this forum). But one thing that's fact is that diesels are MUCH stronger than those of petrol and a diesel engine CANNOT blow up from using nitrous UNLESS another form of fuel is injected into it that can cause detonation OR the engine is making MORE power than the components can withstand (IE head gaskets).

I've just scrubbed up as much diesel knowledge as I could to assist you and with that I have to say that I AM UNSURE as to whether changing the fuel timing will have the effect as I've stated previously. But what I AM SURE of is that diesel fuel timings are very precise and that I still hold my recommendation to not let the tuner mess with the timing as stock and to only focus on increasing the amount of diesel fuel that the stock system can muster to make power on nitrous. Furthermore, it's impossible to tell at what level of power an engine can withstand, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking a diesel engine on nitrous using extra fuel from the stock system.

FYI, I'm burning to get my hands on a diesel to spray nitrous into to strengthen my knowledge, and if I do get my hands on one
I can assure you that it would be equipped with nitrous and posted on this forum within hours! :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 am 

Great to hear about you wanting a diesel. :yes: thanks for all your advice youve been a real big help. Like I say I'm new to diesel and nitrous myself so I'm just try to get as much info as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:38 am 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
Great to hear about you wanting a diesel. :yes: thanks for all your advice youve been a real big help. Like I say I'm new to diesel and nitrous myself so I'm just try to get as much info as possible.

Then you're off to a great start as you won't have to worry about getting nitrous/fuel ratios right like petrol engines, and diesels support lots of power on stock pistons/rods/ and head gaskets!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:58 am 

Ye can't wait to order my kit just going to get a little more cash together then order everything I one go then it's off to the track :yes:
Thanks again for all your help much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Td pow3r wrote:

Although my diesel knowledge is limited, I would suggest leaving the fuel timings alone and focus only on delivering as much fuel as possible for nitrous to make power. Increasing the fuel timing is the same as advancing ignition timing on a petrol engine and since nitrous increases the combustion rate of fuels, peak cylinder pressures would increase significantly and that could cause damage to the engine.

And in order to make more power beyond the capabilities of the stock fuel system, adding propane and water injection would make a SIGNIFICANT amount more power.

X 2 sorry for the late post

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Td pow3r wrote:

Don't be discouraged by that video as that was due to some other factor (possibly from operator error or another form of fuel injection like propane). I just post those things from time to time to stir up the forum a bit.

As I've mentioned, I have a limited knowledge of diesels (only that of which I learned on this forum). But one thing that's fact is that diesels are MUCH stronger than those of petrol and a diesel engine CANNOT blow up from using nitrous UNLESS another form of fuel is injected into it that can cause detonation OR the engine is making MORE power than the components can withstand (IE head gaskets).

I've just scrubbed up as much diesel knowledge as I could to assist you and with that I have to say that I AM UNSURE as to whether changing the fuel timing will have the effect as I've stated previously. But what I AM SURE of is that diesel fuel timings are very precise and that I still hold my recommendation to not let the tuner mess with the timing as stock and to only focus on increasing the amount of diesel fuel that the stock system can muster to make power on nitrous. Furthermore, it's impossible to tell at what level of power an engine can withstand, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking a diesel engine on nitrous using extra fuel from the stock system.

FYI, I'm burning to get my hands on a diesel to spray nitrous into to strengthen my knowledge, and if I do get my hands on one
I can assure you that it would be equipped with nitrous and posted on this forum within hours! :yes:

Also X 2 and you'd have to do something INSANE to remotely damage a diesel engine, because they are not at risk of the same potential problems, as petrol engines are.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:27 pm 

so if i let the tuner know i'm planning on running nitrous is there anything i should ask him to not to adjust?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm 
Wizard

Td pow3r wrote:
so if i let the tuner know i'm planning on running nitrous is there anything i should ask him to not to adjust?

Just let him know that you will be running nitrous and you'll need extra fuel and leave the timing alone. The nitrous will burn the excess diesel and make the additional power.

If I were you, I'd get the nitrous kit first then visit the tuner to get the most out of the nitrous. Also, the tuner could create a separate map that kicks in when the nitrous is triggered and then reverts to the off-nitrous tune. This will keep you from making too much black smoke during normal driving and maintain good fuel economy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Td pow3r wrote:

Just let him know that you will be running nitrous and you'll need extra fuel and leave the timing alone. The nitrous will burn the excess diesel and make the additional power.

If I were you, I'd get the nitrous kit first then visit the tuner to get the most out of the nitrous. Also, the tuner could create a separate map that kicks in when the nitrous is triggered and then reverts to the off-nitrous tune. This will keep you from making too much black smoke during normal driving and maintain good fuel economy.

X 2 AGAIN!!!!

It looks like my forum will be in good hands when I retire.

What a shame that all American nitrous users aren't as smart. :beatstick:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:12 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
X 2 AGAIN!!!!

It looks like my forum will be in good hands when I retire. :yes:

LOL! Even then you won't be able to resist coming on here!

It gives me the opportunity to steer other Americans on the righteous path of nitrous! :yes:

I intend to have my hand in the nitrous game once I get my self-employed status up and running. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
X 2 AGAIN!!!!

It looks like my forum will be in good hands when I retire. :yes:

LOL! Even then you won't be able to resist coming on here!

It gives me the opportunity to steer other Americans on the righteous path of nitrous! :yes:

I intend to have my hand in the nitrous game once I get my self-employed status up and running. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)