Post subject: Tuned abarth 500
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 pm 

Right

I am on the fence wether to go down the nos root with my car

It's a abarth 500 1.4 turbo

I have now got it up to 395hp 338ftlb on shell vpower

It's my daily driver but its a 1.4 with a gt2860rs turbo

So full boost is only in high rpm see dyno graph

It has forged crank as standard forged pistons and rods ported head and custom cams

So I have been looking at ways to reduce lag And the lag just after a gear change
Nos came up and so did this site

So I am looking for a kit to spool my turbo as soon as possible and I it as simple to use as possible. Just drive and refill the bottle

Thanks

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 198 KiB | Viewed 18181 times ]

Last edited by Dan vbv on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Tuned abarth 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

What are you on the fence about Dan????

WON nitrous is the PERFECT way to eliminate turbo lag under any and all conditions and I can point you to numerous WON turbo customers, who prove this is the case year in and year out. :yes:

When you eventually decide to take the plunge, you'll wish you'd done it sooner, GUARANTEED.

BTW do NOT be tempted to buy ANY other brand, as you would be putting your motor at great risk of damage. There are numerous reasons for this but the simplest and most obvious one, is their use of braided hose between their solenoids and the nozzle.
The reason this is a MAJOR cause of engine failure is this;
Nitrous travels at a MUCH higher speed than fuel (due to its much higher pressure) which means that long big bore pipes (as used by ALL other companies), result in a relatively HUGE difference in the time the fuel and nitrous reach the engine. Due to the nitrous reaching the engine long before the fuel, the engine runs LEAN until the fuel gets there and that often causes a lean backfire, which can not only damage the engine but also destroy your entire induction system.

To PREVENT this being a problem WON systems are supplied with SMALL BORE nylon pipes, that can be cut to just the required length (the other kits are supplied with EXCESSIVELY LONG FIXED lengths of braided hose) and we advise customers to mount the Pulsoids as close to the injection point as possible.
The end result is that WON pipes have a VERY SMALL volume (compared to other kits) and as a consequence the fuel reaches the engine much quicker than when using large volume pipes and obviously that PREVENTS the lean condition, giving you RELIABLE & SAFE nitrous use.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:43 pm 

Well as its my daily driver so I don't want to switch the bottle on and of every time I get in it.

I just want to drive the car
And be able to use it like the meth injection that the car is getting now

Just want a switch on the dash on or off and it takes care of the rest All I have to do is top it up /refill

Not sure about wether to just have it on spool up or just run it all the way through can it be switchable for both

And I have been told of will make a lot more than the shot size

The lads that built my car use it. As say thay get a extra 200hp low down from just a 50 shot

The only thing that is keeping me on the fence is the voice in the back if my head saying it will go bang (but its a 1.4 with 400hp so it is highly strung to start with )

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm 

And if I use it just for spool will it work after gear changes

At the minit when changing from 5th to 6th it will take 5 seconds to get back to full boost as its a big rpm jump will it help for that

And how low can it be injected

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Dan vbv wrote:
Quote:
Well as its my daily driver so I don't want to switch the bottle on and of every time I get in it.

I just want to drive the car
And be able to use it like the meth injection that the car is getting now

Just want a switch on the dash on or off and it takes care of the rest All I have to do is top it up /refill

Turning the bottle on and off isn't a big deal for most of my other customers but you have the following options to overcome that;

1) Although we tell everyone NOT to leave the bottle turned on, that is just a safeguard against a Pulsoid leaking and although it is safest to do so, 99% of my customers leave the bottle on and as we've NEVER had a Pulsoid leak, nobody has ever had a problem but there is always that risk if you choose to do that.

2) We can supply the system with a Quick Action (QA) inline valve that can be mounted at the side of the drivers seat (on the floor) and then you can leave the bottle on and use the QA valve to turn the supply to the Pulsoid on and off as needed. This is obviously more convenient than turning the bottle valve on and off and it reduces the risk of leaving the bottle valve on.

3) If you wanted additional insurance against the EXTREMELY LOW risks of leaving the bottle on (with a QA valve in line), you could also add a 2nd Pulsoid, so you'd have 3 barriers against the nitrous reaching the engine unintentionally, while the bottle was turned on.

Quote:
Not sure about wether to just have it on spool up or just run it all the way through can it be switchable for both

Yes that can be arranged, all you need is our turbo specific system

http://www.noswizard.com/car-nitrous-ki ... -body.html

and an additional By-pass switch and then you can run it either way as and when you want it.

Quote:
And I have been told of will make a lot more than the shot size

Yes that is usually the case, so instead of needing say 50 HP jets to make a 50 HP gain, you'd probably only need 25 HP jets instead, which means the nitrous will last at least twice as long on a turbo car as it does on a NA car

Quote:
The lads that built my car use it. As say thay get a extra 200hp low down from just a 50 shot

That's the biggest increase I've ever heard of but we have seen in excess of 100 HP achieved from just 25 HP jets. Unlike with NA motors (which we can pretty much predict what the increase will be from a given amount of nitrous), the power increase from a turbo motor depends on factors like the exhaust aspect ratio and how high the induction temps are, so we can't predict the outcome.
However, whatever engine we are supplying a system for, we ALWAYS start at no more than 25 HP jets and if you are concerned that you will make too much power from those, we can supply it with jets as low as 5 HP.

Quote:
The only thing that is keeping me on the fence is the voice in the back if my head saying it will go bang (but its a 1.4 with 400hp so it is highly strung to start with )

Your engine is FAR MORE LIKELY to go bang WITHOUT the nitrous than WITH IT!!!!!
The reason for that, is that on turbo alone you intake temps will be very high and as a consequence your motor is close to the point of detonation. However, nitrous boils at MINUS 128 degrees and as a consequence it REDUCES the intake temps by a HUGE amount (more nitrous more cooling) and as a consequence moves the engine AWAY from the detonation point, making it MORE RELIABLE, contrary to your expectation.

Quote:
And if I use it just for spool will it work after gear changes

Yes and the way that is achieved is by using a boost switch (which is included in the turbo specific kits), which will switch on when the boost is below your desired boost level and then switch off above it. This switch will work in conjunction with the throttle switch, so that when you nail the throttle, the throttle switch will activate and IF the boost is below the selected level the nitrous system will activate, until the boost reaches the switch off level, which by the way could be nano seconds when the appropriate amount of nitrous is added.

Quote:
At the minit when changing from 5th to 6th it will take 5 seconds to get back to full boost as its a big rpm jump will it help for that

You can have it so it will TOTALLY ELIMINATE that lag if you want. :yes:

Quote:
And how low can it be injected

You just fit a single Crossfire injector in to the intake hose just in front of the throttle body, as per these instructions;
http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/Pictorial% ... tions1.pdf

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

With the appropriate system set up correctly, you could produce power curves like any of the 3 examples below or anything in between those and what you already have;

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:59 pm 

I meant how low rpm

The inline valve would be great

Turning the bottle off when it's in the boot hopefully in the spear wheel well would be a bit of a faf

Well I have just had word that my intake temps with the meth injection don't raze above 25 degrees

The lads that built my car use it on their 800hp Toyota celiac at goodwood But not sure what system thay use on it

How big a shot would I need to get rid of lag

And will the mapping need to change with a wet kit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Dan vbv wrote:
Quote:
I meant how low rpm

As low as you want, as long as the engine can accelerate freely, just as is the case when driving the car as normal. The ONLY time it is detrimental to activate the nitrous system at low rpm is if (for example), you were accelerating hard and accidentally selected 5th instead of 3rd, which would overload the motor and in that situation you would be likely to damage a piston etc. when using nitrous.

The inline valve would be great

Turning the bottle off when it's in the boot hopefully in the spear wheel well would be a bit of a faf

Quote:
Well I have just had word that my intake temps with the meth injection don't raze above 25 degrees

Possibly so but the the reason you've added it to your turbo, is the same as I described as ONE of the benefits of nitrous. However, your meth system won't eliminate lag and it won't be capable of making whatever power curve you want but the nitrous system will do what the meth does (reduce the risk of det).

Quote:
The lads that built my car use it on their 800hp Toyota celiac at goodwood But not sure what system thay use on it

The bigger the turbo the bigger the lag and the greater the benefit from nitrous. If they are not using a WON system they are running a higher risk of damaging their engine and will not be making as much power as they could be, from the same amount of nitrous. However, as all the smart guys in the world and MOST people in the UK use WON systems, they are most likely to be using ours.
Is it a Time Attack car and if not what class do they race in?

Quote:
How big a shot would I need to get rid of lag

There's no way of knowing that (each combo is different) but as it only takes a couple of minutes to change jets and as they only cost £12 per pair, you can quickly and cheaply work your way up until you get the result you are wanting.

Quote:
And will the mapping need to change with a wet kit

NO changes will be needed.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:25 pm 

The thing is the gap between 5th and 6th is like going from 3rd to 5th rpm wise. Would that make running it all the way through a bad idear

I want what I think everyone wants

It to spool like a small turbo but give the power of a bigger one

And it's a fiat 500 and from the out side you would think its just a 135hp

The mappers are setting the meth kit up and think that it will make about 420hp

Not sure if I can use more

If it was a 25shot from wot to full boost

Is it possible to have a informed gess as to how long a full bottle will last when used every day

Thanks for all the help so far

The 800hp car is a 2l with a gt40 turbo used at good wood hillclime bright orange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Dan vbv wrote:
Quote:
The thing is the gap between 5th and 6th is like going from 3rd to 5th rpm wise. Would that make running it all the way through a bad idear

No that will be fine.

Quote:
I want what I think everyone wants
It to spool like a small turbo but give the power of a bigger one

Nitrous can do better than that.

Quote:
And it's a fiat 500 and from the out side you would think its just a 135hp

That should surprise a few people LOL

Quote:
The mappers are setting the meth kit up and think that it will make about 420hp
Not sure if I can use more

The good thing about nitrous, especially if you only use it to eliminate lag (or up to a certain boost level), is that you WON'T make anymore PEAK power than you currently do.

Quote:
If it was a 25shot from wot to full boost
Is it possible to have a informed guess as to how long a full bottle will last when used every day

Unfortunately that is like asking how long is a piece of string, there is no answer, so all I can say is that I have some customers who fill every day and others that fill every 6 months (the turbo guys always take longer between fills), as the consumption is much lower.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help so far
The 800hp car is a 2l with a gt40 turbo used at good wood hillclime bright orange

Thanks for that and my pleasure.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:12 pm 

Forgot to add

When my car was being done the spec of the engine was for it to run 2 bar

But it made the 400hp goal at 1.6