NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dyno day 13th October near Milton Keynes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 pm 
Wizard

Anyone fancy putting their car on the rollers??

I've arranged a dyno day and have 2 more places available if anybody wants to have a go. The price is £40 on the day per car which includes free tea and coffee all day + a couple of burgers from the BBQ and a shed load of banter with petrol heads of all ages.

If you have a car that you can map with your laptop then its no problem to stay on the rollers for 3-4 passes while you do adjustments. A lot of the guys attending will have much older cars so they will do a pull and then get off the dyno while we tinker with their cars ready to get in the queue for another run. Some folk just like to one pull to get a printout and then hang around to watch what goes on and chat. We set up remote monitors in the dyno hall alongside the dyno but behind a safety barrier so you can see and hear all that goes on just 6 feet from the car on the rollers.

Its a very informal day with folk who have a range of cars from fast road to dragstrip animals to 40 year old classics. Straight 4's to V8's and all sorts in between.

I met Chris (Skippy) today at the Pod so he may want to come along. Nice to talk to you today Skippy :)

You can reply on here or email me on perrystephenson7@hotmail.com title your email DYNO DAY...

The location is:

http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/Displayc ... 5557000010

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Dyno day 13th October near Milton Keynes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:52 pm 
Learner

I'm In mate I've been there before and it was a nice little place

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:29 pm 
Wizard

Autosri wrote:
I'm In mate I've been there before and it was a nice little place

Cool!!
Give me your name and car details and I'll get you on the list.

If you dont want your real name on here send me a PM.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm 
Wizard

BUMP!!

Anybody fancy a go on the rollers??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 pm 
Learner

My name is gary what sort of time you think it will start as il be comming from Leicester

Car is a 2002 BMW 3series 330ci

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:33 am 
Wizard

Hi Gary!

We normally get going around 9.30am on the rollers. Se we like folk to arrive between 8.30 and 9.00am to meet up and say hello. Then I can get names on the list and sort out payments etc while the tea nad coffee is being dished out. Well not dished out, it all self service :)

See you there
Regards
Perry
07824-319587

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 am 
Learner

Might have an extra one comming will be an imprezza Sti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm 
Wizard

Cheers Gary

Latest running list as of 26th Sept 2012

Pel: MGBGTV8 or Isuzu 4x4
Alan W: MGBGT Costello
Stu: Midget
Jason.S: Fiesta ST
Mike Oates: Methanol Slingshot.
Jason.W: Nissan or Mazda??
Tricky: MG ZTT Diesel
John watson: 64 MGB or TF
Reg: Rover powered Capri.
Northants MGOC cars: 3 (maybe more)
Gary - BMW 3series 330ci + nos
Garys mate. Impreza (possible)

Quite a good variety of car now eh??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Learner

what an variation lol and my mate is deffo now

quite looking forward to it now i love going on the rollers always entertaining normaly dissapointing but always fun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm 
Wizard

Thanks Gary!!
I gave up doing single make dyno days... Boring !!!

I'll update the list. What is your friends name?

Perry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Learner

I've only ever done single make days so am quite looking forward to it and my mate is tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:31 pm 
Wizard

Thanks Gary!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm 
Wizard

What great diverse Dyno day yet again :)

It was good to meet you today Gary. Your car is mint mate. I think during the day that I found at least 6 of my mates looking down the side of your car and saying "That just looks so right doesnt it?" Your wheels got a lot of great comments as they set the whole look of the car off just right. Subtle to the first glance, but then when you look again you can see she means business :)

Tom's Scooby was a really sweet looking car and it sounds spot on. The power figures did it justice as well. Imagine how it would be with a 30-50 shot added eh??

Now!!
Your spark plug issue!!
All of your plugs looked way too clean. The two that melted were 2 and 5 werent they??
Your 6 cylinder inlet manifold seems to be made up of 2 x 3 leg manifolds. And it was the middle cylinder of each of these that leaned out more / overheated the plugs. So w emay need to look at things like general amount of fuel for nthe nitrous system and maybe orientation of the crossfires in the runners. Correct me if I'm wrong aobut the manifold construction. I was busy making sure everyone got the right amount of time and effort on the rollers.

I dont think you have a major problem. Just a small tuning / fuel delivery issue to address.

Anyway! It was a good learning day for most of the guys who turned up. Most have gone home with results and ideas for the next stage in their tuning for their cars.

I hope to meet you again either on the dyno or at the Pod for more fun in 2013.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm 

Thanks for organising Perry.

I had a good day. Nice to see the different cars.
Learned some good stuff for the next stage.

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:51 pm 
Learner

was sure i had already replied to this but obviously not lol

was nice meeting you too mate and all the rest but didnt catch many names if im honest

glad you like the car i know when i was doing it i wanted something quite subtle that only car enthusiasts would notice the wheels were a bit of an impulse buy as they were cheap but were wrecked so spent a couple of weeks refurbing and painting

his scooby is a bit of an animal when it comes on boost and its scary fast for a road car and looks the part too far too many shiny bits for me though lol he is like a magpie ooooohhh shiny things lol

yeah 2 and 5 melted but all were mega lean

this is the design of the manifold and the main reason i went direct port was to avoid exactly what happened as it looked to favour the middle cylinders

are you thinking maybe rotate the cross fires slightly and i have checked the plugs with the same jetting and they never looked that lean before and have never had signs of plugs melting and that was after 10lb of gas at santpod also spoke to ant a while ago and he said he struggled on a bmw and used the same jetting as i have

the only thing i can see that could have caused it is the fuel draining down the braided line feeding the fuel solenoid as its a dead head system there is no return i was thinking of maybe making a small bleed off back to the tank but not sure if that would work im thinking the system got activated the fuel took a second to purge the air from the line but the nitrous was already being fed into the engine

im also looking into tunerpro to see if i can alter the map in my ecu to pull a couple of degrees at WOT

thanks for a good day out and look forward to meeting in the future more than likely at the pod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 pm 
Learner

little pic of the install

does that look okay

random pic of the car

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:07 pm 
Wizard

Autosri wrote:
was sure i had already replied to this but obviously not lol

was nice meeting you too mate and all the rest but didnt catch many names if im honest

glad you like the car i know when i was doing it i wanted something quite subtle that only car enthusiasts would notice the wheels were a bit of an impulse buy as they were cheap but were wrecked so spent a couple of weeks refurbing and painting

his scooby is a bit of an animal when it comes on boost and its scary fast for a road car and looks the part too far too many shiny bits for me though lol he is like a magpie ooooohhh shiny things lol

yeah 2 and 5 melted but all were mega lean

this is the design of the manifold and the main reason i went direct port was to avoid exactly what happened as it looked to favour the middle cylinders

are you thinking maybe rotate the cross fires slightly and i have checked the plugs with the same jetting and they never looked that lean before and have never had signs of plugs melting and that was after 10lb of gas at santpod also spoke to ant a while ago and he said he struggled on a bmw and used the same jetting as i have

the only thing i can see that could have caused it is the fuel draining down the braided line feeding the fuel solenoid as its a dead head system there is no return i was thinking of maybe making a small bleed off back to the tank but not sure if that would work im thinking the system got activated the fuel took a second to purge the air from the line but the nitrous was already being fed into the engine

im also looking into tunerpro to see if i can alter the map in my ecu to pull a couple of degrees at WOT

thanks for a good day out and look forward to meeting in the future more than likely at the pod

So your crossfires are in those ram tubes which means you shouldnt get any starvation due to uneven distribution eh?
Your fuel system is I guess around 3 bar pressure or more?
When you try it again I would crack the fuel feed to the pulsoid to make sure its full. Once full I wouldnt expect it to drain back. I can see it de pressurising, but not draining back. When you start the car again this line should pressurise and be ready for use. For the fuel to drain back so the line can empty you would need air to enter the line, but as you dont have any leaks I cant see that being a problem. As all the plugs looked lean I would start with doing a fuel flow check. its almost as though you had no fuel for the few seconds on the dyno when the plugs let go??

Have you done a fuel flow test with all the lines into a jug?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:13 pm 
Learner

That was he idea I started with a single crosfire but was told not to go over 75hp due to be manifold design so upgraded to direct port and it did it anyway
The dizzy block sits parallel so not to give uneven distribution

The fuel pressure is 50psi on my engine and like you say for it to drain back would mean there is a leak at The highest point and I don't think there is

I'm gunna try turning the meth off and increase the fuel jet size to see what effect it has on the Afr

I did do a fuel test and I think it was okay but it was quite a while again so will do it over the weekend and see what I get

That's why I was thinking the fuel didnt make it to the engine as it did at about 3-3.5krpm which is about a second after the system activated as it was set for 2700rpm