NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Education for life - next book title
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

All good info and worth taking onboard. 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

I had this sent to me recently and it made me realise how much things have changed for the worse in just 50 short years, God knows how bad it will get in another 50 years!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THOSE WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC or Subway. Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
We built tree houses and dens and played with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY, no video/dvd films, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...
We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes an d gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 pm 
Wizard

:bow: not much you can add to that!
and we're still here messing about with things we shouldn't 8)

here.. at junior school we had a teacher used to thrash us with a rounders bat! :beatstick:
imagine how long they'd lock him up for now!

:cheers: nige "child of 64"

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 am 
Wizard

How very true all that is Trev ( i was born in 66 :redface: ), and how very different things are today... not for the better either :?

Ian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 am 
Site Admin

My concern is where will it all end and what will it be like in another 25 years time.

Janet believes it will come full circle and things will go back to how they've been in the past but I wish I could be that optimistic, because all I see for the future is less respect, less humanity and more criminal activity.

Talking fo criminal activity, the only reasons the Police are able to claim (FALSELY) that crime is going down, is because they don't answer the phones when a crime is being reported by those who still naively think the Police will respond and those of us who know better don't even bother trying to report the crime in the first place.

I've personally opted not to report 5 criminal incidents in the last year or so, because I KNOW the Police wont do a damn thing about them. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 am 
Site Admin

I've just realised that the people who are least willing to learn from others, are also the same people who are least willing to acknowledge when they are wrong and least willing to apologise for it!!! :evil:

Unfortunately there are entire forums elsewhere, that are full of such people. :beatstick: :beatstick: :beatstick:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am 
Site Admin

How on earth did common sense get that name when its so uncommon?!?!?!?!?! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Some words of wisdom passed on to me by Dave Bailey;

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.

When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full.

They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar He shook the jar lightly.

The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.

The students responded with an unanimous 'yes.

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively
filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff. 'If you put the sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

'Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children and grandchildren.

Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner.

Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.'

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, 'I'm
glad you asked.'

No matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:59 pm 
Learner

I love that!!!!!

My mum and dad are golf balls, i always thought they were squares.Lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 am 
Site Admin

:lol:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09 am 
Learner

Here's the cover art for the new book, Trev.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

:omgrofl: ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT - I LOVE IT!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
Wizard

Never argue with idiots, they'll simply lower the conversation to their level and beat you with experience.

Learn when to walk away, be it a job, relationship, argument or fight or you'll be wasting a part of your life you'll never get back.

Last words are for people who wasted the time they should have used saying what should have been said before.

Better to stay silent and be presumed an idiot that open your mouth and remove all doubt.

You listen with your ears, not your mouth.

Make every single day a school day.

The more I learn the more I realise how little I actually know.

Spend at least a minute a day thinking about what really makes you happy, then ask yourself why you weren't thinking it anyway.

I wish i could remember a few more that i try to live by, i'm sure there's a lot more......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm 
Wizard

Loopy wrote:
Last words are for people who wasted the time they should have used saying what should have been said before.

thats a great one loopy, one of the best quotes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Loopy wrote:
Learn when to walk away, be it a job, relationship, argument or fight or you'll be wasting a part of your life you'll never get back.
How true

LOL

Make every single day a school day.
Ain't that the truth.

The more I learn the more I realise how little I actually know.
That's a good reason for not following the previous advice, because it's very frustrating to find that the harder you work to learn, the more you realise you've more to learn. :cry:

Spend at least a minute a day thinking about what really makes you happy, then ask yourself why you weren't thinking it anyway.
Now that's one I need to act on.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:23 pm 
Wizard

This is a good thread - thought provoking with not too much nitrous.
Well I have a few I have picked up along the way from other coaches.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity

Have you turned it off and on again? as an IT Guy I was using this LOOOONG before that telly program!

There is nothing less common than 'common sense'

If you cant take criticism don't give criticism and always make it positive.

Learn something new each day.

Always remember your other half - especially birthdays and anniversaries (use a calendar that's what they are for!)

You don't need to give extravagant gifts - just make sure you give it lots of thought.

Look after yourself because soon enough you will regret it when you didn't.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing aches your probably dead!

Drink and be merry but not too merry or you will regret it in the morning! :cheers:

Treat each day as your last then tomorrow is ALWAYS a good day

Work to have a life don't work to live.

Remember if you don't have bad days then how can you have good days? You will have nothing to make a comparison against.

Gain experience by getting out there and having a go.

LISTEN with your ears and mind - don't say until you LISTEN first. If you don't know how to listen then you don't know how to learn.

There is no excuse for ignorance or stupidity.

And one I insist my junior powerboat drivers think about -
If you can't imagine winning then you can't win.

When asked how you are be positive (man I ought to listen to my own advice) Then everyone around you brightens up.

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 am 

Persistence pays, so pay it forward. :arrow:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:18 am 
Learner

Some of the things that matter to me, not just quotes:

Never take your health for granted, it's a gift not a right, when you lose it you realise how unimportant just about everything else is.

Nobody owes you anything, you get out what you put in

The harder I work the more lucky I become

Life is empty without love, don't leave it too late to find out

Nobody ever said on their death bead "I wish I'd spent more time at work"

If I can't explain something to someone in PLAIN SIMPLE english then I don't understand it fully myself

When you reach the point that you THINK you understand something completely, the realization of how little you actually understand is just around the corner

NEVER assume anything

Some of the things that have influenced me:

If your not familiar with the Physicist, Richard Feynman, (He worked on a few 'trivial' projects like developing the atom bomb in the 50's and the cause/s of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in the 80's, but used to crack safes and play the bongos in his spare time) I recommend you read some of his work and it can't fail to influence you for the better in how you approach life / physics / engineering. Some titles of his books are; The Feynman Lectures (Pretty heavy), Six easy pieces, Six not so easy pieces, The pleasure of finding things out, Surely your joking Mr Feynman. I have no connection with or royalties from these books :lol:

Some of Feynman's quotes:

One I think Trev already uses ;)

Since then I never pay attention to anything by "experts". I calculate everything myself.

My favourites:

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.

I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

if you're doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid — not only what you think is right about it... Details that could throw doubt on your interpretation must be given, if you know them.

And other gems:

Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.

When you are solving a problem, don't worry. Now, after you have solved the problem, then that's the time to worry.

I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

Spencer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:01 am 
Learner

I haven't read every page yet, but one trick I use springs to mind.

If you have an idea, notion or plan, make the other party think its their idea and it will get implemented far easier and quicker. Works great on women and I use it on the suits I work with.

"Never underestimate age and treachery, it will always win over youth and skill"

Rich.

98.16 MPH

Last edited by Thompson on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

I'm so pleased I started this thread as its thrown up some very interesting and useful thoughts.

If only we could all apply them all the time... how much happier and rewarding life would be. :idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm 
Wizard

never mind, the one i added was actually on this page already, lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:32 am 
Wizard

Welcome back! How's things going?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:40 am 
Site Admin

I had these sent to me and although they are intended as jokes, some are so true I decided to add them to this thread

1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

3. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

4. Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

5. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

6. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

7. If you lined up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them, five or six at a time, on a hill, in the fog.

8. If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.

9.. The things that come to those who wait will be the things left by those who got there first.

10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day, drinking beer.

11. Flashlight: A metal tube used to store dead batteries.

12. The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

13. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

14. When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:30 pm 
Learner

Most accidents were preceded by the words...... "WATCH THIS"

Understanding Yorkshire in Norfolk.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:30 am 
Pro Mod

First off I am glad this thread is still up and maybe we need to move it or make it more visable ...
I took the time to reread this from the start and it made me reflect on alot ,I just got Mom home from hospital again so to keep my mind off of all this I have been doing anything and mostly reading online and learning its an amazing thing to actualy see my own progress with reading and understanding so much more then i did 6 years ago or even 1 year ago with reguards to being Dyslexic and ADHD.The later of the 2 i found out in 05 but only really the past year the dyslexia.ADHD is really controled with drugs and i was appose to this because i dont like taking anything to change who I am because i have seen alot of kids who seemed so doped up but my health 16 months ago was a big problem again and so to control my heart rate and blood pressure my Dr insisted on taking this medicine along with a few others to control these problems.Ritalyn is the one used for children with ADD and ADHD.I found out the amount I take is a large dose as they dont make pills in this amount so i get 2 sizes to equal what I take.Anyway its actually calmed me down and i laugh because i am still on the rev limter and all those around me cant tell but it seems to have put a interupt gear in my brain because its let me see things much better then when i dont take them or i should say i absorb things easier and i decided to get checked again last year and i was dyslexic,was told 5 years ago by non medical person i was but didnt want to hear it.Anyway I have over the last year and getting better every week really understood what I read and its been like a whole new world opened up to me..this may sound strange to others but just imagine you couldnt read and i am old enough to have known of people still in this world who cant read as they never went to school.My issues were not that bad but still problem in m y life.I dont find these things to have been a handicap in my life but yet a gift from our maker as it made me seek other ways to do things as well giving me confidance to belive in myself and abilities.Now i take my experiances with my skils and have started to learn from reading and researching and its like a light being turned on in a dark room.
More to come on next post.....

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next