NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: One for Brett
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 pm 
Learner

http://www.928motorsports.com/928_land_speed.php

Not sure if you'll have seen this already?

Bill

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: One for Brett
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:20 pm 

billb wrote:
http://www.928motorsports.com/928_land_speed.php

Not sure if you'll have seen this already?

Bill

Hi Bill :)

Yes I know all about it and have had some discussions with Carl in private....

Hes not getting the hassle I got on Rennlist as hes using a Supercharger (the ones he sells) and not Nitrous.

I realise that he "seems" to have done a lot aerodynamically to his 928 and I wish him luck, which I suspect hes going to need big time, going by my aerodynamic problems.... as all those aero bits on his car are guesswork and not proven in any way :(

He has nowhere near as much power as I had but more unproven aerodynamics which "should" assist him to get to high speed (200 +)

I had the unlimited power of WON Nitrous but almost no aerodynamics....

We will see who was right - ish...

Personally I think hes going to have a huge problem keeping it on the ground as I did....

I really hope he goes faster than me safely, but we will see....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 pm 
Learner

He has 900HP at the crank or that's what the dyno plot states, how much do you have again??

The aero work he's done looks to be pretty standard stuff, so I'd be surprised is it didn't work well enough. As the 928 is a vaguely similar shape to my car which I've been looking into it's aero I'd guess you suffer from rear end lift?

There's a well developed CRX that's just done a tad under 235mph on the salt with 650hp :twisted:

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:32 pm 

billb wrote:
He has 900HP at the crank or that's what the dyno plot states, how much do you have again??

The aero work he's done looks to be pretty standard stuff, so I'd be surprised is it didn't work well enough. As the 928 is a vaguely similar shape to my car which I've been looking into it's aero I'd guess you suffer from rear end lift?

There's a well developed CRX that's just done a tad under 235mph on the salt with 650hp :twisted:

Bill

Hi Bill :)

I have 2350 hp available but its not hp thats the problem as I said...its good aero...

The problem is that the aero is a guess,,,,, nothing more, and when I did my 208 it made me realise how bad it is at that sort of speed.

It nearly killed me to be honest and I would NOT do it again unless I KNEW that any aero improvements worked and unfortunately unless someone is prepared to spend thousands of pounds per hour on a wind tunnel or actually try out alterations at high speed (185+) then to be honest its just a guess whether it works or not.

Mine didnt lift at the back by the way ...it just lifted the whole car :( .. sort of a floating effect, and take my word it wasnt a pleasant feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 pm 
Wizard

I got my old fiat up to 150 recently (private test track of course) with a 50 shot on the go. Ran out of test track after a mile and a bit though so had to pull her back... I did have a 30mph flying start though.

I've spoken to a few Fiat Coupe guys who have got theirs off the clock at 160mph with a bit of tuning.

I wonder just how much it would take to actually push this car to 200mph assuming the gearing was good enough??

I've had my MGB up to 147mph in its old guise as a road car. But it was so noisy and unstable I bottled out. The Fiat is a totally different animal though. I can cruise at 100mph and still talk to passengers in hushed tones because its so so quiet???

This has got me thinking about doing one of those days at Brunters just to see what she will do flat out.
Do you have to have a roll cage fitted for these Brunters days ??

Ive spoken to other guys who have done the 200mph thing and they seem to all have around 900 -1000hp on tap. If I recall correctly brett ran a 700 shot to do his 208mph record. So the Porka was pushing around the 1000hp mark. That seems to add up in numbers eh???

My Fiat must be fairly smooth in the areo stakes as it was very stable and quiet at 150mph. God knows whats in store if i get it to run over 160mph... This is quite interesting isnt it??

Bill!!
Do you ever do these top speed days?? I'd love to have a bash somewhere just to see how fast I could go totally flat out in top gear until the rev limiter cuts in??

Pel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Learner

I take it that's 350HP of V8 & an additional 2000hp of potential WON nitrous?

Have you ever ran near that kind of power? I know you've said the engine/auto box in your car is strong but surely that's taking it too far & things would break?

I have a system planned after discussions with a friend who knows about these things based around an array of map sensors to data log the pressures under my car when I'm ready to start testing at higher speeds as well as the semi old school bits of wool & a hi speed as we can find camera :)
I have a very long way to go before that happens tho!

Raf Marham has around 3miles of top spec runway & AFAIK that's the largest runway used for top speed events. War's in far reaches of the world depending they hold an event around March.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 pm 
Learner

600hp ish in a car with good aero should do 200mph the problem is how long it takes to get there! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD98bHhqLMw

The Fiat Coupes always did well at TOTB if they didn't break :tard:

I did loads of events at Elvington in my old CRX. With my old CRX I had a PB of 167mph with was the red line in 5th 9500rpm :shock:

My new CRX can have ratios to do well over 200mph but I want to be as safe as I can be so over the winter I have a big roll cage going in with a plumbed in fire system to go with the FIA seat I already have. Then safety gear for me & I'll start pushing the car :)

This year Elvington ran a few top speed events over 1/2mile & one at 1mile so I hope they do more events at 1mile :) A CRX in the US with 440hp has done 180mph at the Texas mile so that is one of my goals once I have things in place!

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 pm 

Hi :)

The way to look at 200 plus mph is this, in my opinion (for whatever its worth)

All cars have a top speed, and the manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on things like wind tunnels (which we cannot afford) making sure it will be safe at that top speed...

They also build in a bit of leeway to make sure its reasonable safe even if you manage to exceed that speed.

In my case, my Porsche 928 has an "official" top speed of 158 mph.

When I did my runs, I found that the car and its aerodynamics were perfectly safe and more importantly stable right up to between 185 and 190....

After that it started getting "light" and got progressively worse over 200...and extremely scary !!!

The point being that in my opinion most cars will "probably" be reasonably safe at up to 10% to 20% above there usual top speed.

The manufacturers never expected people like Trev to design a system like the REVOS that will allow an almost unlimited top speed , so with power not being a problem, its all down to aerodynamics, which you HAVE to get right...or ELSE !

The only real advice I can give anyone who is considering it is BE VERY CAREFUL....you must tiptoe into that speed where you start losing good aero and fix that with better aero then try again, etc etc...

If you do attempt it you REALLY need a Revo system as the extra smoothness is an absolute must as any instability WILL kill you......

Please do not think what I did was easy lol.... it took me several YEARS to get my car right for it (diff, big wheels, tyres, aero, etc, etc) and I still nearly KILLED myself....

But I am slightly nuts anway LOL :)

I hope this helps as a warning if nothing else :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:20 pm 
Wizard

billb wrote:
600hp ish in a car with good aero should do 200mph the problem is how long it takes to get there! :)

I did loads of events at Elvington in my old CRX. With my old CRX I had a PB of 167mph with was the red line in 5th 9500rpm :shock:

My new CRX can have ratios to do well over 200mph but I want to be as safe as I can be so over the winter I have a big roll cage going in with a plumbed in fire system to go with the FIA seat I already have. Then safety gear for me & I'll start pushing the car :)

This year Elvington ran a few top speed events over 1/2mile & one at 1mile so I hope they do more events at 1mile :) A CRX in the US with 440hp has done 180mph at the Texas mile so that is one of my goals once I have things in place!

Bill

That sounds good Bill. Even if I'm not allowed to have a go I'd love to attend a top speed attempt meeting.
It would be interesting to see how fast I could go with 270hp flat out.
We should try to get together to go and see one of these days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:24 am 
Wizard

billb wrote:

Bill

Was that video edited!!
Or did it do 209mph in about 60 seconds??? that was where the window got sucked out :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:41 am 
Learner

I cant see that video at work, will take a look tonight.

I know of a certain LS3 powered TVR Cerbera with about 600 bhp that has cracked 200. So its certainly possible.

I am going to try for a lowly 170 in my Chimaera next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am 
Learner

I don't think it's edited no! Not bad for a lady driver eh :p

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

That looks like it was at Bonneville and the main reason it takes so long to get up to max speed there is the lack of traction (as indicated by rpm bouncing off rev limiter in the clip) but if you have enough power and good traction you can achieve higher speeds in a SS mile, than you would in a flying mile at Bonneville.

I now have 2 ss mile top speed world record holding customers, one on a Busa and the other in a GT40. :mrgreen:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm 
Wizard

I thought I could hear the tyres letting go several times in the run. So on a hard surface with good grip that car would have gone like stink to 200mph even quicker ??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 pm 
Learner

Carl Fausett Via Web Camshafts wrote:
Set a new world record of 216.63537 MPH as the fastest Porsche 928 in the world.

Not too shabby :)

Bill