NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Download speeds
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Brought over from the Announcements section as it had taken an important thread off topic.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: NEW - NEW - NEW - NEW - NEW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm 
Learner

Just a little bit of feedback on the new site. It is extremely slow...... Not sure why, but each page takes a very very long time to load? Perhaps images are too large?

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:14 am 

Hi Sam :)

Not slow for me, maybe its your end ?

I have just tried the main site in both Internet Explorer 8 , and Firefox...

First page and all subsequent pages load in under 1 second...

I do have a very fast connection (50 mb) but I havent noticed it slow on my shop connection (8 mb) either, although I will test it again tomorrow to check...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:50 am 
Learner

All fine here too :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Likewise - it does have a long way to go to Australia!!!! :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:57 am 

Hi :)

Tried on my shops 8 mb connection and maybe a fraction slower but not really noticeable.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm 
Learner

Just timed loading the home page here at work (I work at a large university, our internet is about as quick as it gets downunder!) and it took 31 seconds to load..... That was with IE7. Interestingly, I just tried again using Google Chome and it only took 4-5 seconds. Still not rocket quick, but an acceptable delay (not like 31 seconds!!!)

Could just be an IE7 issue, in which case - not worth worrying about too much as its not around much longer.

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:25 pm 

Boostinhard wrote:
Just timed loading the home page here at work (I work at a large university, our internet is about as quick as it gets downunder!) and it took 31 seconds to load..... That was with IE7. Interestingly, I just tried again using Google Chome and it only took 4-5 seconds. Still not rocket quick, but an acceptable delay (not like 31 seconds!!!)

Could just be an IE7 issue, in which case - not worth worrying about too much as its not around much longer.

Sam

IE 7 did have a speed problem on some systems...Chrome is meant to be the fastest at the moment, you could always try Firefox (I use it)

Dont know about your Uni`s but when my daughter is at Uni here (Cardiff) she gets around 2mb, which is an awfully low speed and ruins video calls, even though I have 50 mb on my end.

I seem to remember that someone told me that in OZ some people still use 56k modems as they cannot get Broadband...is that still true ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 pm 

Hi Sam and all...

Just a quick piece of advice while on the subject of browsers....

For any who do not know I own a couple of Computer companies with a shop etc....

At the moment we are inundated by people who have TRIED to install Internet Explorer 9 and it wrecks Windows and usually takes a total format and reload to cure it....

This applies to trying to install it in Vista and Windows 7...luckily for XP users it wont install in XP...lol

So if anyone wants my advice >>> DO NOT UNDER ANY circumstances try to install IE 9....hide the update and keep hiding it as its the only update I have ever seen from Microsoft that UNHIDES itself :(

If you really want it...wait a few months until MS fix the problem.

Hope this helps ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:24 am 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:
Boostinhard wrote:

Sam

IE 7 did have a speed problem on some systems...Chrome is meant to be the fastest at the moment, you could always try Firefox (I use it)

Dont know about your Uni`s but when my daughter is at Uni here (Cardiff) she gets around 2mb, which is an awfully low speed and ruins video calls, even though I have 50 mb on my end.

I seem to remember that someone told me that in OZ some people still use 56k modems as they cannot get Broadband...is that still true ?

hehehe, I doubt that many here in Aus are running 56.6k dial up modems anymore... Probably the same people that get a lift to work with a Kangaroo! I don't know the specific internet speed here at work, but to give you a comparison, this forum home page loads up in around 2 tenths of a second (as does every other web page I have come across). Hence why the 31 second load up of every page on the new WON website made me think something was wrong...

Just providing a bit of feedback!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:59 am 

Hi :)

Try this site..its a broadand speed checker that works worldwide and its very accurate and will show you what speeds ,both up and down you are getting... >>>> http://www.speedtest.net/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 pm 
Learner

According to the site, we have 68.15mb/s download speed and a 47.60mb/s upload speed. Not too shabby!

Goes to show, no matter how fast your connection is, if your using IE7 on a site not designed for IE7 - it will be incredibly slow!

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm 

Boostinhard wrote:
According to the site, we have 68.15mb/s download speed and a 47.60mb/s upload speed. Not too shabby!

Goes to show, no matter how fast your connection is, if your using IE7 on a site not designed for IE7 - it will be incredibly slow!

Sam

Wow thats good speed particularly the upload..mine in the UK with Virgin is 50 mb down but only 5 mb up :(