NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Retro Show Santa Pod 2-3 July
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:24 am 
Wizard

Got my weekend ticket, but cannot get a hotel room anywhere, seems there's a Foo Fighters concert the same weekend and all hotels are fully booked.
I hate Camping (Tramping) :tard:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

Last edited by BMW840 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Retro Show Santa Pod 2-3 July
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 am 
Wizard

Stop whining and kip in the car like we do you old tart :rofl:

I'm sure you can find a B&B within 10 miles ???

I'm still trying to find a new gazebo and a top hose for the Fiat turbo :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:14 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
Stop whining and kip in the car like we do you old tart :rofl:
I'm sure you can find a B&B within 10 miles ???
I'm still trying to find a new gazebo and a top hose for the Fiat turbo :(

Hotel Booked, just received a call for a cancellation :yes:

I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:36 pm 
Wizard

I've just bought a new gazebo. 20 feet x 10 feet and its got thick poles like Ron's one. So hopefully this bugger wont blow away :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 am 
Wizard

I maywell be coming to this meeting too 8) , Not sure if i'll be running or just watching though. Swapped the carbs for throttle bodies/injection which is all done and finished now but i've not got the nitrous back on it yet. Whilst redoing it i thought i'd upgrade to revo's/discharge tubes into the bellmouths/venoms for the fuel etc. Just got to get all the parts and get fitting :)

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 am 
Wizard

Just told the Bimmer its going for a nice quite drive in the country (those in the know will understand) :yes:

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:38 am 
Learner

BMW840 wrote:
Just told the Bimmer its going for a nice quite drive in the country (those in the know will understand) :yes:

Good luck !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
Learner

BMW840 wrote:

:omgrofl:

I believe the Bimmer will be calling you a dirty little liar after the weekend :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:34 pm 
Wizard

Best part of was the weather, first time I can EVER remember a rain free weekend :cheers:

I'll let Perry tell you his news :bow:

I enjoyed one of my best race wins ever against a car that had more sponsorship stickers than paint and running slicks :loser:

As for the Bimmer, its too dam clever. Yes I wound it up, but after the 150 shot It ran slower.
Towards the close of the day I got talking to some tuners from Mercedes (they made a lot of sense), although I suspected as much myself. I'm now fighting (or should I say the N2O is fighting) the engine mangement system (it just keeps retarding and retarding and retarding) I'm never going to win the battle in its current form. They have put me in touch with someone who who knows how tweek this last part of thye ECU. Unfortunately not in time for next weeks BMW show.

The 13 @ 100 still eludes me :cry:

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:38 pm 
Wizard

ritchard you tease wot the hell was your new time.... :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:47 pm 
Wizard

teddybare wrote:
ritchard you tease wot the hell was your new time.... :beatstick:

still the same as above :tard:
I came home on all 8 cylinders, thats a win in itself :yes:

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:01 pm 
Wizard

This drag racing lark can be so mean ritchard after all your hard work, but reliablity is crucial so a good day really... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 pm 

BMW840 wrote:
Best part of was the weather, first time I can EVER remember a rain free weekend :cheers:

I enjoyed one of my best race wins ever against a car that had more sponsorship stickers than paint and running slicks :loser:

As for the Bimmer, its too dam clever. Yes I wound it up, but after the 150 shot It ran slower.
Towards the close of the day I got talking to some tuners from Mercedes (they made a lot of sense), although I suspected as much myself. I'm now fighting (or should I say the N2O is fighting) the engine mangement system (it just keeps retarding and retarding and retarding) I'm never going to win the battle in its current form. They have put me in touch with someone who who knows how tweek this last part of thye ECU. Unfortunately not in time for next weeks BMW show.

Hi Richard :)

Hard luck but at least you seem to have had a nice weekend... if its the 100 mph thats your aim to beat, then fit bigger wheels/tyres on the back.... that WILL take you over 100....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:40 pm 
Learner

BMW840 wrote:

i was wondering if the 2/3rds cars had that retard traction control system. it's a pain in the arse. i want to go up the road all fish tailing and smoke and it says ... no.

anyway, 13@100 is still a good target to hit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:07 pm 
Wizard

2/3rds cars :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

I can melt the tyres with ease, when i switch the traction control off, but its the ECU via knock sensors that are holding me back (it would appear they are too sesitive)

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:28 am 
Learner

Will someone please tell me how Perry got on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 am 
Wizard

I know Jason did the first PB @ 10.4x, then Perry bettered that by a 100th or so @ 10.4x
They also exceeded their previous terminal speeds :yes:
It was a great weekend for Perry

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

Last edited by BMW840 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:48 am 
Wizard

dbv8 wrote:
Will someone please tell me how Perry got on.

Very very well ;) , the short short version is new pb's (10.4's) and looking really really good with no problems at all over the 2 days prior to me leaving the show on Sunday. I'm sure Perry will be writing an essay shortly about his weekend of smiles 8) :) :D :mrgreen: :cheers:

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:52 am 
Learner

Thats exellent news.
Congrats to Pel and co :cheers: :yes:
I look forward to hearing the finite details

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:00 am 
Learner

BMW840 wrote:
2/3rds cars :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

I can melt the tyres with ease, when i switch the traction control off, but its the ECU via knock sensors that are holding me back (it would appear they are too sesitive)

Shows BMW knock sensors are pretty good though I guess I wonder how much it's actually retarding the timing by

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 am 
Wizard

Autosri wrote:
BMW840 wrote:

Shows BMW knock sensors are pretty good though I guess I wonder how much it's actually retarding the timing by

The guys from mercedes were saying that the sensors will just keep retarding, so the info I had about them being good for -6 is bollox. They said I need to set a safe retard limit (they've done this before) I'm going to try and get this fixed for the BMW show, but its gonna be tight.

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:27 am 
Learner

i was running my 8 on the ramps and with it in gear, if the traction control is on, the throttle is redundant. you can push it to the ground but because it thinks its is spinning like mad, the engine just won't rev up. it just keeps on taking control until you have none.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
Wizard

What the heck is a 2/3rds car ??

It was possibly the best weekend for a few years. Even with downtime due to breakages the queue didnt get longer than 25 mins. Except when Rich wanted a go :rofl:

Me and my Son are really pleased with how the weekend went. But boy am I knacked out.
6am Saturday until 2am Sunday. And then back up at 8.30am sunday to do it all over again.

We had the blower running at about 66% boost, so 10 psi. I have a concern about running the blower maxxed out as i'm being a wimp and dont like to push things like this that I havent got much experience on to the max. The old engine runs 13 dead on the carb only. 11.7 with 7 psi of boost. 11.4 with 10psi. 10.7 with 10psi + a 50 shot of won and 10.4's with 10 psi and a 100 shot. My intention has always been to run the blower like this and use a bit of gas to get things moving quickly off the line.

This is when we saw an other problem develop. With the 50 shot on top of the 10psi the front left wheel was way up in the air on launch. So we tightened up the rear snubbers a bit more by packing them with penny washers to get them up against the springs with no free play. The rear springs still bounce as the rubbers are fairly soft. That got a better launch with the wheels on the ground.
Then we put the 100 shot on and this is when we found that the new Moser shafts I had made are pretty darn strong :shock:

The last two luanches of the day saw the left front about 4" off the deck and the drivers side front about 1" off the deck. Air under both tyres and still pulling 10.4 ??

When the DP system is finished I reckon its going to make the car fly off the line even better. So new springs and snubber rubbers are on order.

My mate shut the photo shack down as soon as racing finished but he did tell me that he has a nice slo mo of one of the launches which shows air under the tyres. But he cant
remember if it was me or Jason Driving. So we are now back to the father / son competition. Last year I was 100th of a second quicker. This year I'm down to 1000th of a second quicker.

AND!!
All the runs on Sunday which were 10.8, 10.7, 10.4, 10.7, 10.4 and a 10.8 all had 60 foot times of 1.4 seconds 8)

Now its time to turn the gas back off and try the 1 bar pulley to see what happens. But I'm still not sure if i want the blower running flat out as it wasnt cheap so I want it to last.
I hope the combo of boost + gas assist is going to be a good economical combo for the future.

All in all a cracking weekends testing and a very busy social meet up to. Lots of folk helping out other racers with tune ups and repairs and exchange of tactics and tyre choice etc.

And there must have been at least a dozen won users on site all doing good numbers.

I'm still a bit confused about what to buy for the new high pressure fuel system. I have a new tank and 044 pump. I have the 1/2" bore high pressure hoses all installed along with a smaller hp hose for the regulated return. I need to order a bunch of Y connectors and 8 fuel jet holders + more jets to suit. Need to plan that carefully as space is an issue and I only want to do it once.

My main concern is the fuel rail. Should I buy or make a metal rail with a large bore of say 20-25mm so it acts like a buffer vessel. Should I just use the 1/2" bore hose and use tee's for the take offs?
I'm thinking that the fuel tappings should come from the bottom of the rail so air purges automatically from the reg back to the tank. ie have the rail above the fuel pulsoids so everything goes downhill from rail to engine?
I guess a metal rail will stay in place and wont droop lke the rubber hose could.

What will be the most reliable regulator to use ?

I'm back at the Pod this Thursday and Friday for a DVD filming event that Universal films studios are funding. Not exactly sure whats going to happen but I have had to fit a passenger seat and harness to take reporters out for test runs. I think its some sort of modified car film they are making. The event is called "The fast 5 event" so it must be something to do with the new film thats just been released.
Whatever it is, its two days free racing on a closed track / film set :)

Thanks for the interest guys. I'm hoping that now we have gone sub 10.5 the 10.1 or flat 10 will be with us sooner rather than later. And the 9.99 could follow. But as usual it will probably take a year to get there. I'm happy with what we have achieved so far :)

Perry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:44 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
What the heck is a 2/3rds car ??

It was possibly the best weekend for a few years. Even with downtime due to breakages the queue didnt get longer than 25 mins. Except when Rich wanted a go :rofl: Perry

2/3rds is a joke between me and Neil (V8 vs V12) :omgrofl:
It was a great weekend Perry and really pleased for you :bow:
Maybe mine is next week :cry:

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:38 pm 
Learner

Slowly but surely getting there Perry. :yes:

Sounds like you enjoyed the weekend despite the long hours.