NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ecotekplc valve /Fuel saver & performance gains OR SCAM ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 pm 
Learner

yeah yeah i know, not another one that claims this and that but does nothing.

how ever i first had this device back with the cavalier and it worked, so though since the price of petrol is now at 132.9 and in some areas such as tisbury garage its 142.9, i thought im not really after perfomance but after somethign to ease the pain of the expense.

so i bought he valve and filter, got it fitted fro free by the great guys at HIQ in salisbury (who i will now always go to due to the way they are and they dont pressure you into a sales.

well I also knew that i would need to start from an empty tank and keep note of how much the petrol was and milega.

well thanks to a member of a watercooling site that im a mmeber of, they helped figure the maths for me and here they are

http://forum.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index ... ntry177218

£12/£1.329 per litre = 9.03 litres = 1.99 gallons
73 miles/1.99 gallons = 36.68 mpg

£10/£1.209 per litre = 8.27 litres = 1.82 gallons
50 miles/1.82 gallons = 27.47 mpg

For first one, you're paying £6.042 per gallon, so fuel cost is £0.165 per mile.
For second one, you're paying £5.496 per gallon, so fuel cost is £0.20 per mile.

£0.165 per mile.
£0.20 per mile

£10/£0.165 = 60.6 miles per £10

£10/£0.2 = 50 miles per £10

So you got an extra 10.6 miles per £10 spent.

Not bad considering as ive stated on that topic that im not a slow driver and im saving money and gaining miles. I just hope the price comes back down so reep even more.

Not really noticed much in the perfomance boost, but i dont think the filter is set right or the valve. so would be greatful if anybody has physical experince with the 2 could help me. as the email for ecotek is crap, and i say this becuase none of my emails get answered. but sayign this i think this is partially becuase they havent done a single update on their website in 10 years and their forum is empty. So just glad their product works lol

just out of interest what was the resistor that was placed into the air box from a few years back.

Last edited by MathewLisett on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Proven Money And Fuel saver
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:53 pm 

ecotek valves are fucking shite, ive ripped them off several cars and all ran better without them, its utter bollocks, a leaking inlet manifold is NOT a good thing.

And your test is fundamentally flawed, 50 miles is nowhere near enough to accurately measure the fuelling, you would need to do it over a good couple of tanks full, you only have to click the petrol pump slightly different or pull up at a different pump that clicks in a different place etc to easily alter the amount of fuel you add to get to the "same" start point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
Learner

so even though at a higher fuel price and gaining more miles, your saying it shite.

so what about if i did this over a period of time and got same results, or is it becuase it may only work on some cars that your aking this view.

its alo been stated that newer cars have been noted to not benefit rom the device.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm 

Its an air leak into your engine down the brake servo pipe, if your engine benefits from one of those then there is something VERY wrong with your tune in the first place.

No correctly running engine will ever benefit from one of those valves

But yes if you want to do the test a bit more scientifically it needs to be spread over a few tankfulls in both cases.

I work for toyota, IIRC our current spend on R&D is about 5 billion dollars a year, with the main focus of that being into economy and emissions.

Trust me, if those valves or anything like them worked, then we would fit one from the factory to all cars!

SNAKE OIL!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:20 pm 
Learner

right bit of an odd one today. for some unknown reason £5 only got us 20 miles... which considering what £10 before thats baffling.

so since ecotek has a 30 day money back thing, i shall test it for the next 2 weeks and if things are not clarified then i shall go for a full refund.

and chip, im not relying in amanner to disrespect you mate, im just not one that follows the herd so to speak and ill find the answer and prove to myself of the subject , if you get what im saying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:40 am 
Learner

HMM, filled the tank with our normal £10 and for some unknown reason the petrol guage has shot past the half way mark where we would normally have done 35 odd miles nd its only done 20

what could be the cuase of this if from previous times ive infact gained miles from £10?

im thinking since i have yet had the chance to put the jublie clips on the tubs that maybe the air is leaking out from there, but wouldnt think this would cuase such a massive loss in petrol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:42 pm 
Learner

well decided to "close off" the valve considering the fuel guage was touching the e when it should be no where near it, and to my shock i had an increase in torque.

so since im no genuise this is what i think i have figured out.

the avalve as you say acts as a leak.

the leak there for releases air , of which means the less air to fuel mixture the less the power the engine producers and the less the fuel that should be used ie burned in the process.

so with the valve closed, it gives the correct mount of the air to fuel, giving back the torque and power.

so with their claims of it being a petrol saver, yet at times it can be, but what they dont state is that it will also very likely reude other factors like the power and torque.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:36 pm 
Learner

Ok well after some very painful; (for me anyway due to my health issues) of properly fitting the device with dually clips and watching a vid on how to set it up, the performance was back to normal and a little increase, but with this the fuela was going down.

so its come to that point as i stated above that i would go for a refund, so ive already contacted the seller due to the statement on ecoteks site of "From 30 days of receipt, the CB-26P device and Accessories can be returned for a full refund for any reason, these should be returned to the point of purchase"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm 

MathewLisett wrote:
Ok well after some very painful; (for me anyway due to my health issues) of properly fitting the device with dually clips and watching a vid on how to set it up, the performance was back to normal and a little increase, but with this the fuela was going down.

so its come to that point as i stated above that i would go for a refund, so ive already contacted the seller due to the statement on ecoteks site of "From 30 days of receipt, the CB-26P device and Accessories can be returned for a full refund for any reason, these should be returned to the point of purchase"

Hi MATTHEW :)

It will be interesting to see if its as easy as they say for you to get a refund...somehow I doubt it, but then I am an old cynic lol :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 pm 
Learner

well the contact with the seller on ebay has actually been very upfront with any questions ive had tryign to sort the device out over the time ive had it (didnt help when it took 3 weeks to get to me)

i gave them the websites statment of a no worries refund and said i dont know if they need to get in touch with ecotek for the refund to happen but i shall leave it in their hands.

and within 30 mins or less, gained a ebay message saying not a problem, send the items back with a note short, saying what the issue was and with what the car was and a full refund will be dealt with.

if how ever a few days after ive sent it via recorded delivery and no refund i will go via paypal steps as i alwasy do and claim through that.

Post subject: Re: Ecotekplc valve and filter Fuel saver & performance gains
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:25 pm 
Learner

Image Image
right to start this post, ive adjusted the topic title so that anybody else comign to the forum can easily do a search and the name and product comes up and asnwers questions.

ok, tonight i made sure i looked and understood if i felt any difference to the car before sending it back and here goes.

unlike many members on this forum, i dont know the technical wordings so please forgive me

Petrol saver ? :

Yes and erm No

1. Yes :

during the time of the first week or days depending how many miles you do whilst it beeds in (or what ever its called) I found we saved (with 2 people in the car and me not letting off the normal driving i do, ie i made sure i wasnt aiming to gain more miles from what i normally do) i found i did infact save fuel and gained miles as shown and proven in the first post

2. No:

well after the inital joy of gainign so many miles and doing my normal driving style, i suddenly found after the first 20 miles from £10 the fuel consumption would drop like a stone thrown out of a rocket downhill, to a point that i initally thought it was becuase it wasnt set right. After finding it needed adjustments, the performance was back but the fuel was just dreadful cuasing me durign days before to close the valve off to conserve the fuel

is the valve a performance device:

in a sense YES, but likely not with every type of car

Good points

1. the ignition starts far quicker (before it would take what i would call 2 clicks before it would kick in, but with the valve set it would start straight after 1 click)
2. wehter you are at a standing stop or mid way through in a higher gear, there is a deffinate smoother and quicker kick in speed (maybe thats torque)
3. there is a deffinate speed change in each gear and you gain a few more mph at top end. it may not be a WON product change in speed but hey thats why trev is in business and still in business when this product came out.

Bad points

1.If you dont set it up correctly the car will lose its normal performance, which of course will not lose fuel in the process.
2. In this economy with petrol prices hitting 150.9 for petrol, the way the performance gains came into effect you would get the same actions from the resistor con thats about 99p

Does the filter work as a silencer:

Not a flipping chance, at no point did this work in the remotist sense of the word, this thing is actually a worse spending of money than the valve as the thing costs over £20 for simply being a filter, where the valve already has a filter . So Pipercross may be a world known brand but they must have been a back hander of dough to produce this thing knowing it wouldnt do much ( disclaimer: Wizards of nos has nothign to do with this topic of thoughts or comments that I have stated here)

Conclusion:

Save your cash, dont buy it, simply becuase even if the fuel prices drop below £1 which is unlikely, when you use this or the resistor that costs 99p and gets placed inside the air intake senseor to fool the brains that the air its sucking in is densor to produce the kick in performance, you WILL still burn off just about the same fuel as you would now.

bit of advice from a novice like me:

if you want to improve a simlar old car or even a new car that hasnt had a service ina while etc, sort out the service, make sure the tyres are good, tracking and balancing is done. Simply becuase before we had our car serviced last september, the thing was suffering big time and as soon as we picked it up the thing was a beauty to drive and was greatly improved in handling and quickness (may have cost us £580) but the car is now worth more.

and if your car doesnt need a service etc, but you have spare cash give the folks at WIZARDSOFNOS i hear they do some super duper product that puts money in your product and a great product aswell.

Post subject: Re: Ecotekplc valve /Fuel saver & performance gains OR SCAM ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 pm 

Hi Matthew :)

I have altered the Topic title slightly....

The reason is that as Google Bots search this forum and report results from Titles, I dont think Trev would want that particular device associated with WON....

I do not often do this sort of moderation but think its needed in this case, I have not altered any posts or opinions though as I believe in free speech.

All the best Brett :)

P.S. Trev may decide to delete this thread totally, for the same reason...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
Learner

Thats understandable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 pm 
Wizard

So I could drill a small 3mm hole in my inlet manifold and get the same result??

As Chip says... Snake oil ???

Snake oil is a traditional Chinese medicine made from the Chinese Water Snake (Enhydris chinensis), which is used to treat joint pain. However, the most common usage of the phrase is as a derogatory term for quack medicine. The expression is also applied metaphorically to any product with exaggerated marketing but questionable and/or unverifiable quality or benefit.

FYI.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Learner

ah now i understand.

to be honest froma novice point of view and just learning. i woudl say NO it wouldnt work becuase even though the valve does somewhat produce some stated perfomance gains. whatthe valve would have as an advantage over holes in the manifold would be the fact its a valve and therfore closes off, where as the holes wouldnt close off and would always let air out etc.