NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Standing mile topspeed event 09-10 july 2011.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:04 pm 
Learner

Saw this on www.dragracing.de

In the second weekend of july there will be a massive eruption of horsepower and speed at the Gross-Dölln airport in Germany, near Bremen.
Anyone with a car packing at least 500 bhp and a theoretical topspeed of over 300 km/hr is invited to take part in this two days event.
This is a chance to finally discover the true performance of your chariot by giving it death on a 1609 meter long course.

the organisers have already stirred up much excitement among dragrace communities and are currently making a promotion tour along several supercar forums to gain interest and attract a wide variety of participants.

Brett, if you can hear me, this is your chance to reach infinite stardom and enter your porker 928 missile in this event.
Show those haughty supercar fannies with their measly hairdryers how it`s done with a healthy shot of the cold stuff and make a 200+ mph pass.

I bet most of the 500+ bhp car owners don`t have the experience or the guts to make it past 180 mph. A perfect opportunity for our resident nitrous infested 928 hooligan to make an appearance at an event with official time and speed acquisition equipment, make an epic pass and step up into the select hall of fame of the 200+ mph gods of speed.

More info can be found here although it`s all in german:

http://www.dragracing.de/showthread.php ... ance-1.609

I would love to take part in such an event. Unfortunately I`m lacking seriously in the horspower department to reach 300 km/hr in my CTR.
Anyone know how I can stuff a 400 bhp nitrous shot into a 2 litre engine and drive home from the event with the car in one piece? lol.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Standing mile topspeed event 09-10 july 2011.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:10 pm 
Learner

There's a series of events at Elvington in York this year similar to this as well :twisted:

Straightliners are running a top speed championship called Terminal Velocity in 2011 at Elvington this will be over 5 rounds, 4 Rounds over the 1/2 mile and one over the mile the dates are

17th April over the 1/2 mile
19th June over the 1/2 mile
20th 21st August over the Mile
11th Sept over the 1/2 mile
2nd Oct over the 1/2 mile

The championship is open to all cars with classes for front wheel drive,, rear wheel drive and four wheel drive cars all split, into standard modified and pro.

Prices etc should be released in the new year.

These kind's of events is what my CRX is being built for :twisted:

Being whooped by a Porker with the engine at the "wrong" end is one thing but being beaten by a 20 year old Honda :loser:

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 pm 
Learner

Haha, Veetaaak rules.

I have heard of these Elvington events. Is that on a landingstrip from an airfield?
Or a closed road section?

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm 
Learner

Its the B runway at the Airfield :lol:

I did 152.6mph in 1.25miles with a B16 running a NX 35hp jet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2lG3A-nHk

With my new CRX I have gearing to break 200mph if I can make the power/find the space :twisted:

There's a CRX in the US doing just under 180mph at the Texas mile with the same sort of power I'll have with just my turbo then once I've saved enough for a WON kit to replace my NX kit nitrous on top. I've just bought some Pauter rods to go with my CP pistons so my engine will take 200hp per cylinder easy once its re-sleeved ;)

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 pm 

culasse wrote:
Saw this on http://www.dragracing.de

In the second weekend of july there will be a massive eruption of horsepower and speed at the Gross-Dölln airport in Germany, near Bremen.
Anyone with a car packing at least 500 bhp and a theoretical topspeed of over 300 km/hr is invited to take part in this two days event.
This is a chance to finally discover the true performance of your chariot by giving it death on a 1609 meter long course.

the organisers have already stirred up much excitement among dragrace communities and are currently making a promotion tour along several supercar forums to gain interest and attract a wide variety of participants.

Brett, if you can hear me, this is your chance to reach infinite stardom and enter your porker 928 missile in this event.
Show those haughty supercar fannies with their measly hairdryers how it`s done with a healthy shot of the cold stuff and make a 200+ mph pass.

I bet most of the 500+ bhp car owners don`t have the experience or the guts to make it past 180 mph. A perfect opportunity for our resident nitrous infested 928 hooligan to make an appearance at an event with official time and speed acquisition equipment, make an epic pass and step up into the select hall of fame of the 200+ mph gods of speed.

More info can be found here although it`s all in german:

http://www.dragracing.de/showthread.php ... ance-1.609

I would love to take part in such an event. Unfortunately I`m lacking seriously in the horspower department to reach 300 km/hr in my CTR.
Anyone know how I can stuff a 400 bhp nitrous shot into a 2 litre engine and drive home from the event with the car in one piece? lol.

Hi Paul :)

Very interesting, I "might" be interested in this, but my German isnt good enough to read that site :(

The main question I would have is.....PRECISELY how long is the run ??? as 1609 mtrs is not long enough to get to 200 plus AND slow down lol....

Its why drag racing tracks have a shutdown length, which is usually as long as the track itself...

When I did my 208 mph runs It took me more than 2 miles..... I could probably but that down somewhat but I would still like to be able to slow down at the end lol :)

Can you find out the TOTAL distance from start to finish including braking ?

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm 

Hi :)

Answered my own question with Google earth...the longest runway is 2.1 miles (3300 mtrs) so I am not sure why they are only using 1600 mtrs, but I would need all the length plus a run up which would be possible there going from the north/south runway as a rolling start then onto the 2 mile east/west runway...but I suspect they are only using the north/south one :(

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 pm 
Learner

I waded through all the pages briefly to make some investigations and here is some additional info:

-the track is 4000 meters long 100 meters wide
-entry fee is 150 euro
-They intend to flag away A pair of drivers at the start to speed up the event
-Motobikes are also allowed if they can reach a theoretical topspeed of 300+ km/hr
-maximum starting field is 40 cars ( don`t know about the bikes)
-only a maximum of 100 spectators are allowed to unload the work schedule of the volunteers and officials

the odd thing is that the organisers are envisioning monitoring the E.T. of all the racers runs instead of the measured topspeed at the end of the track, but they are already persuaded by several people to include topspeed measurement aswell.
Seems logical to me. All the other high speed events in the world do this too.

The discussion on the german forum is somewhat hilaric. Up until now most interest is coming from the dragracing crowd, but they lack the aerodynamics, proper final drive gears or engine reliability to survive through the rounds.
Also most of them have never done this before and already the lack of confidence is seeping through on the forum. Their initial enthusiasm is somewhat overshadowed by the realisation how fast 200+ mph really is, especially after seeing some of the videos posted by some members showing cars getting horribly out of shape at speed on similar events ( Texas MAXTON mile, etc)

Here a list with results from a similar event held in the Soviet Union:

http://www.dragtimes.info/en/results/mile/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 pm 
Learner

I take part in an event at RAF Woodbridge with some other V8 buddies. A drag racer guy with a Granada did 201.96 over a standing mile. That's a supercharged V8 with no nitrous. Couple of Supras got quite close.

Best I've done without nitrous is 157. Hopefully run it this year with the nitrous. Might hit mid 160s I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:04 pm 
Learner

I would like to try an event like this. Maybe Vmax this year.
My Chimaera would run out of gearing approaching 160 but i reckon can hit that before a standing 1/2 mile.
I have a longer diff gear which i am fitting that should see me over 170 within a mile.
Looking forward to proving the theory.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:29 pm 
Learner

I haven't done VMAX, but I'd also like to give that a try. Different proposition as you need to get down the end and round the bend before really nailing it. The guy that arranges this event http://www.thunderroad.co/hsv/ that I attend hit 206mph at the last VMAX.