NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Who else cant be arsed to work on their cars???
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 pm 
Wizard

I got a chance to test my MGB today :)
But before I could do that I had to close a project I've been stuck with since late October.

I got an early start and took my mates MGB to the dyno. I've been stuck with this car for over 2 months. I was hoping to get rid of it after I fitted the new heads I made. But then the bloody snow hit on 18th December and its been stranded outside my house since then. The owner does not take it out in the wet and especially doesnt take it out when there is salt on the roads.
You have to actually see this car to believe it guys.
The owner is 67 years old this year. He has become hooked on coming to the pod since I got him to a Retro show 4 years ago with the MG team. The car is a 1968 MGB GT and its in mint condition. It is a very rare Costello V8 conversion which makes it a very expensive MGB. But it was fitted with a lame 3500 that made only 129 bhp on the dyno when I first tinkered with it back in early 2009. I rebuilt the engine and fitted a better cam and ported the heads myself. I also fitted a weber 500 carb. She then made 163 bhp on the rollers which my mate was happy with. Even though she did run a bit rich.
He decided in 2010 that he wanted more power. So in October I picked it up and fitted a set of reworked 4.6 heads so he had the best possible DIY upgrade for the engine.
This morning she made 185 bhp on the dyno. The owner was very pleased when I told him I would trailer the car back in the morning to London. And he was over the moon at the power increase. Then the cheeky bugger asked if I could taske the car back in May time to see if I can make it do 200hp !! Theres no pleasing some folk eh??

I told him to bear in mind that this is a very early V8 conversion that still runs the original 1800cc MGB 4 speed + o/d gearbox :shock:

No way am I going to tweak this bugger to 200hp on that stock tranny :beatstick:
I'm surprised its held out this long with the ragging the old bugger gives it :)

Enough of the boring stuff. Lets talk about me now 8)
I took the covers off last night and she was drenched in condensation.
My Son made up the new plug leads and I fitted them at lunchtime.
We went to the trading estate with the B on the trailer. I turned the battery switch on. Let the carb fill and gave it two pumps on the pedal. She started on the button and idled ok with a bit of pedal (no choke fitted).
She warmed up to normal temp and seemed fine. I gave it gentle blips until she had sat at 80C for at least 10 mins. Then I put the pedal to the floor and she just revved from 900rpm idle to flat out in no seconds flat. very responsive as well.

Then it developed a strange knock??
The speed of the knock was linear with rpm?

Then the knock went away??
It almost sounded like a loose crank pulley?
I let it idel for 5 more mins and it was still fine. Then i revved the shit out of it and it was still fine??

I dont know what the knock was. But I'll check the crank pulley tomorrow. And see what happens next Sunday at the Pod.

This got me into gear when I got home so my new 4.6 block is now on the engine stand ready to take the internals from my existing damaged block.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday now to see if the old warhorse is gonna break or not :beatstick:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 am 
Wizard

I had the Capri out of the garage yesterday complete with new radiator and oil cooler.....and a few other things that I have fixed.

It started and ran for 10 minutes with no need for any throttle, this is a major step forwards!!!

I could pop to the pod to give it a thrash with bigger jets, but I would only really be able to run 1/8 as it will run out of gears. I guess I need to bite the bullet and chuck the new CWP at it that Ian so kindly supplied.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:34 pm 
Wizard

Get the diff sorted first Dave. Then you can come and play :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:54 am 
Wizard

I am a bit scared of the diff.......talk of shims and crush washers has me nervous! I just want to whip it out and shove it in!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 am 
Learner

Sorry to be the party pooper guy's. I've been flat out on my many projects. I had the great idea of fitting a LPG conversion to my motorhome which ended up meaning a complete exhaust system, bear in mind my motor home is 28ft long and weighs 6ton. I'm also working on a 57 Chevy belair as well as doing the engine on the Cortina when its to wet outside to do the motorhome. Oh and I forgot I was on call all over Christmas. I had to send the wife a picture so she could remember me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:13 pm 
Wizard

Worth it in the end though Eh Ron ??

I guess it will rain this sunday. But I'm still excited about the first potential test run of the year :yes: