NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fastest SD1?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm 
Learner

Does anyone know what the fastest Rover SD1 ever was over the 1/4 mile?

Remind us of your SD1 times please Trev.

I seem to remember the Real Steel sponsored SD1 running into the 11's in the Rover challenge in the mid 90's but wondered what the exact times were or if any other SD1s are known quicker?

I aim to rebuild this in a joint venture with a mate as he owned it for a while before i bought it back. To have a tuned 440 Mopar, tubbed for a suitable 4 linked axle etc...

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Fastest SD1?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:48 pm 
Wizard

That car just has the right stance for the treatment eh Derek??

Should be an interesting build. I think back in the day they used to have to run RV8's in the Rover Challenge I think it was.

Pel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know what the quickest MODIFIED SD1 time is but I know that NOBODY (even with a bigger & tuned Rover V8 engine fitted - that I'm aware of) has run quicker than the numerous 13.5s that I ran in my SD1 which was STOCK, UNTUNED, FULLY BODY WEIGHT (AND SOME) ON STOCK SIZE REMOULD TIRES.

Those times were run when I knew NOTHING about nitrous (or much else) and I'm sure I could run low 12s or even high 11s with what I now know and have available and as I've had TWO SD1s sat here ever since, there's been a strong temptation to prove it. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:37 pm 
Wizard

Come on Trev have a go, you know you want too :twisted:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
Learner

Ive also had 2 Rovers sat in the garage for many years, the 1 in the pic has loads of history and i also have a completely unmolested 2 litre that i intend to fit a v8 and use as a regular sleeper.
The wide arch car has had so much abuse and welding etc in its time it only seems fit to give it a rebirth as ive described and see if i can run 10's or maybe even a 9 with help from you know what.

There was a SD1 running at York a year or 2 ago that was mildly modified but i was always dissapointed in its mid 14's thinking i could run my 4 ltr with a little gas and run mid 13's but was always far too busy with the TVR.
So hopefully the TVR will be sorted this winter and racing for 10's next season then i can get started building the 'Behemoth'.

OK trev, heres the challenge... bring 1 of your SD1s to York in 2012 and lets race.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

BMW840 wrote:

Tell me about it - if it wasn't for having such a good woman who has NO interest in cars and speed I'd probably have done it by now.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:18 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
BMW840 wrote:

Tell me about it - if it wasn't for having such a good woman who has NO interest in cars and speed I'd probably have done it by now.

If Vivienne was more like Janet (not interested in cars), I'd have saved a fortune :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

Last edited by BMW840 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

dbv8 wrote:
OK trev, heres the challenge... bring 1 of your SD1s to York in 2012 and lets race.

Much as I'd love to take you up on that, I made a major change in my life when I met Janet ten years ago (away from racing), there's no chance of that.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

BMW840 wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
BMW840 wrote:

If Vivienne was like Janet, I'd have saved a fortune :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Probably so but Janet helps me to find other ways to spend it which we both enjoy. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:05 pm 
Wizard

you mean looking at those gormley statues in crosby near me trev... mmmmmmm very relaxin :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
I don't know what the quickest MODIFIED SD1 time is but I know that NOBODY (even with a bigger & tuned Rover V8 engine fitted - that I'm aware of) has run quicker than the numerous 13.5s that I ran in my SD1 which was STOCK, UNTUNED, FULLY BODY WEIGHT (AND SOME) ON STOCK SIZE REMOULD TIRES.

Those times were run when I knew NOTHING about nitrous (or much else) and I'm sure I could run low 12s or even high 11s with what I now know and have available and as I've had TWO SD1s sat here ever since, there's been a strong temptation to prove it. :twisted:

I guess that you could sort of relate the old SD1 times to the performance of the old Top Gear Jag Trev??

The TG Jag had more up to date won stuff on board eh?? And I guess the stripped out Jag weighed about the same as an SD1 eh??

I seen to remember that it came 1st across the finish line didnt it??

Pel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:46 pm 
Wizard

wonder what became of that jag.... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

teddybare wrote:
you mean looking at those gormley statues in crosby near me trev... mmmmmmm very relaxin :mrgreen:

:redface: :redface: Yes well she usually has better ideas than that but I enjoy her company so much that I was even happy to spend the time taking her there. However, in this instance the actual end experience was much less exciting than I remember winning a Drag race was :cry: but then even a bad day with Janet is much more enjoyable than sitting at the Pod watching the rain or snow fall. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
I guess that you could sort of relate the old SD1 times to the performance of the old Top Gear Jag Trev??
Probably wouldn't be too far out for the amount of nitrous we were able to use but the Jag was a WRECK and the ignition and gearbox were TOTALLY INADEQUATE for nitrous use, so it reached the limit of what it could do long before the upper level of nitrous we could have added if they'd been in good order.

The TG Jag had more up to date won stuff on board eh??
Correct

And I guess the stripped out Jag weighed about the same as an SD1 eh??
The Jag certainly was stripped out and the SD1 wasn't. Based on stock times without nitrous, something gave the Jag a decent advantage over the SD1 of 3 seconds, so it wouldn't be an accurately fair comparison.

I seen to remember that it came 1st across the finish line didnt it??
Yes it did and it ran in the region of 12.7 to 13.3 secs - this is vague because the start and timing gear was less than accurate AND I gave THE SLOWEST CAR A FULL car lengths head start, which meant the Porsche had about 2 car lengths (at least), therefore my quickest time was SERIOUSLY handicapped.

Ted,

I had people wanting to buy it but they drove it off the end of an aircraft carrier in to the sea for some STUPID reason. Thankfully I'd already taken the system off the car, so it wasn't as bad as it might have been.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:04 am 
Learner

High 12's was all that was required to blow thatr opposition away! :rolleyes:

It suprising when you have been drag racing with a little gas and getting used to running certain times.
I suppose i was spoilt with an already relatively quick car and was soon running regular low 12's.
I was shocked to see how relatively 'slow' all the highly expensive so called supercar exotica was. Its only the 'hyprecars' that run times similar to me now.
A good website to get comparisons is 'dragtimes'. Have a look and see what your car compares to, it will do your ego good :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

dbv8 wrote:
Yup - that's all and what annoyed me most, was that I could have run in the 11s if the ignition and gearbox had been up to more power but they BOTH struggled and badly affected the run where I beat them, so there was no hope of getting a good run with a decent amount of nitrous down its neck. I wanted to beat the Porsche by as much as it beat the Jag by when I wasn't using the nitrous, as that would have been seriously impressive. :twisted:

It suprising when you have been drag racing with a little gas and getting used to running certain times.
I suppose i was spoilt with an already relatively quick car and was soon running regular low 12's.
I was shocked to see how relatively 'slow' all the highly expensive so called supercar exotica was. Its only the 'hyprecars' that run times similar to me now.
Very true.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
dbv8 wrote:
Yup - that's all and what annoyed me most, was that I could have run in the 11s if the ignition and gearbox had been up to more power but they BOTH struggled and badly affected the run where I beat them, so there was no hope of getting a good run with a decent amount of nitrous down its neck. I wanted to beat the Porsche by as much as it beat the Jag by when I wasn't using the nitrous, as that would have been seriously impressive. :twisted:

Very true.

You only just sussed that Del ?? :D :D

Despite all the crap about the RV8. We can still get out there and mix it up with the big boys cant we :)

The RV8 is still a much misunderstood engine IMO.. So what if it only revs to low rpm. Its well over engineered. Stick some gas in there and we can go out on the 1/4 mile and leave most things in our wake on the strip eh :beatstick:
Hell! I was trashing Scoobies and Evo's way back in my 3500 days on gas. Now I have the 4.6 in the MGB I'm only tickling it with a 250 shot. I'll be out on 31st October with 400 of gas ready to test......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 am 
Learner

After a little research there is Tom Radfords wild blown chevy SD1....
click on 'racing', then 'sd1 coupe'
http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/index.html
No 1/4 mile times i can find tho :?