NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Santa Pod 2nd october ??
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm 
Wizard

See you there mate :)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 pm 
Wizard

If you dont......you will hear me!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:34 pm 
Learner

Is the weather going to get better for this rwyb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 pm 
Wizard

Local forecast says 18C and dry all day Saturday. Sunday may well see some wet stuff though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:20 pm 
Learner

:D cant wait.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm 
Wizard

Just been up to see Ant and got my refill bottle swapped and a 10lb refill, I am now feeling poorer but happier!

The weather is really unpleasant at the moment hope it picks up as advertised tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:42 pm 
Wizard

I'm only 30 miles from the Pod. Its been lashing down all day. But at 7pm when we went out to load the car and trailer it had stopped and there was a really cool purple sky going on as the sun set over yonder hills :)
And since 7pm the air temp has risen 2 degree's?? Its now showing 17C on the old dial??
I'm actually in the garden typing this as its such a nice evening. The moonlight is glistening off my bronzed pecs and its making my lime green lycra "Team Won Mankini" glow in the dark :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 pm 
Wizard

you mean its gunna piss down then :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
I'm only 30 miles from the Pod. Its been lashing down all day. But at 7pm when we went out to load the car and trailer it had stopped and there was a really cool purple sky going on as the sun set over yonder hills :)
And since 7pm the air temp has risen 2 degree's?? Its now showing 17C on the old dial??
I'm actually in the garden typing this as its such a nice evening. The moonlight is glistening off my bronzed pecs and its making my lime green lycra "Team Won Mankini" glow in the dark :rofl:

I was with you up until the pecs!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:13 pm 
Wizard

:D :rofl: :beatstick: :rofl: :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 pm 
Learner

looking forward to your report Perry
bigdaveakers wrote:
Just been up to see Ant and got my refill bottle swapped and a 10lb refill, I am now feeling poorer but happier!

The weather is really unpleasant at the moment hope it picks up as advertised tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:10 pm 
Wizard

%^$^%£^£ cars!

The Capri came off the trailer and I started it up, it was a bit lumpy and didn't want to rev freely. Bear in mind I have only just built it and that I cant really run it outside my house as it is a tad loud! Had a fiddle with the timing and it started to pick up a bit. Perry came over to help me and we discovered with the vac advance it was running 46BTDC so I pulled off the vac and got a much better 26 degrees. However during this timing adjustment process the top hose decided to let go with me stood right in the firing line. Slightly burnt body bits now :( Perry got hit too but I think he got off ok. It is truly amazing how far the water went and everyone and everything in a 10m radius was treated to a shower.

After a quick repair it was back trying to get the car running. Still a bit lazy but much better, but then Perry noticed the back carb was leaking fuel in to the inlet, seems that the float is knackered and I need to rebuild the carbs again.

Despite the set backs I had a great day and caught up with old friends and watched some great racing :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 pm 
Wizard

It was a good day eh Dave??
Despite all our setbacks.

Austin had to be towed off track when the F150 died?? Turned out a small boost signal hose came off and shut him down. That was soon fixed and he went off to run a new low 11.7 PB :yes:

Skoda Steve finished building his engine in the pits. But then stripped a head bolt thread :shock: So he didnt run.

Sam was having trouble getting the AX to behave on the 100 shot, mainly due to lack of track test time because of breakdowns on track. He needed a good few passes to tinker with timing.

Big Dave didnt even get on track becuase of his issues. But at least we managed to do some testing on the Capri without having to worry about making noise. Everytime we started his 7 litre Capri we had to listen to bloody car alarms going off all round :rofl:
And Dave now has more info on his problems so he can work on them over the winter. I quite enjoyed the warm shower when Daves top hose let go. I got sprayed under the chin and on my chest. But I had a thick fleece on so the hot water didnt do me any harm. Dave got it full on in his T shirt??
As the water was gushing I saw it was flowing inot his carbs so I leaned in and moved the hose to divert some of it to the side. I think Imay have sprayed your wife Dave??

I got some great data today. I PB'd on mph today. Last year I ran 10.66 at 126 mph. Today I ran 10.9 at 127 mph. I did this 2 times back to back. So I know my cam timing mods have deffo given me more push after the 1/8th.
It has also given me a clue as to how I can get quicker for next year. I need to change a couple fo things.
Last year I could run 1.5 second 60 foots with a 10.66 and 126mph.
Today I ran a best of 1.79 60 foot with a 10.9 and 127nph.

Despite all the delays and down time. The track was mint. On all my 3 passes I never lost traction in the first 100 feet. So I cant blame traction for my low ET's.

And the best part is!!! I came home with both head gaskets intact :)

I did have a 3 hour delay for the start of racing though.

And I learnt something new today as well ??
Never check for a good spark with a loose plug in the HT lead when the engine is idling and your are near a metal crankcase breather.... There is a tiny possibility that the spark from you CD Ignition system could track to the metal vent as you lift the plug off the ally rocker cover and jump to said metal breather outlet.
This may result in the engine fumes igniting and burning back into the crankcase which in turn will lead to a rapid increase in crankcase pressure for a split second. This could also result in a large cloud of white smoke acommpanied by a large BANG, with me and my Son running in opposite directions away from the MGB :rofl:

Luckily the Rover V8 has a built in pressure relief system. Its called the sheet steel valley gasket..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:25 am 
Wizard

The first of Perrys 10.9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Z-FbhjbhE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:14 am 
Wizard

damn it!

Just spent 20 mins taking off the back carb and whipping the top off. Floats are ok, it was that the overflow valves weren't seated properly. Quick nip up, reassemble and no more leaky carb.

The temptation to get it out on the drive and play may well get the better of me later!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:59 pm 
Wizard

Popped the carb back on and it seems 100 times happier - mind you it had its moments yesterday! Funny the state of happiness of the car seems to be inversely proportional to the happiness of my wife!! :redface:

Also took the MX5 out for a blat as I didn't go back to Santa Puddle today! Seems that knocking the timing a couple of degrees has helped the 100 hp jets perform a little better. Now I know it is still damp outside, but lighting up the tyres at 70mph was rather unexpected!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:34 pm 
Wizard

bigdaveakers wrote:

I was being over cautious Dave!!
300ms nitrous delay with a 1.8 build time and only starting at 35% on the 275 shot.
So only 96hp off the line?? This was my fault for getting my mental sums wrong. I normally run the 250 shot with a 50% start. So I was about 30hp down on normal launch power. And I was being a wimp by setting the nitrous delay so high. I should have only run a 100ms delay. But I forgot that I had increased this last time out as I was bedding in new drive shafts. And I normally run a 1.6 second build time.
So next time out I'll keep the jetting and fuel pressure the same and run my 100ms + a 1.6 build and see how she runs :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 pm 
Wizard

bigdaveakers wrote:
damn it!

Just spent 20 mins taking off the back carb and whipping the top off. Floats are ok, it was that the overflow valves weren't seated properly. Quick nip up, reassemble and no more leaky carb.

The temptation to get it out on the drive and play may well get the better of me later!

A nice quick fix then mate. Get a second return spring fitted as well. Have one on each carb next time out. If you can make it on the 31st we can do some tuning even if it rains eh? I often use the £10 RWYB entry just to go somewhere and make noise so the nighbours dont get upset. I can drive in the pits in the rain for small test runs as well. And if the rain dont stop and the meet is rained off I get free entry to the next RWYB.

Pel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:59 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
bigdaveakers wrote:
damn it!

A nice quick fix then mate. Get a second return spring fitted as well. Have one on each carb next time out. If you can make it on the 31st we can do some tuning even if it rains eh? I often use the £10 RWYB entry just to go somewhere and make noise so the nighbours dont get upset. I can drive in the pits in the rain for small test runs as well. And if the rain dont stop and the meet is rained off I get free entry to the next RWYB.

Pel

Trouble is that it is £65 a shot for the trailer come rain or shine......trying to convince the wife that a trailer is a good investment!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:28 pm 
Wizard

You rent your trailer???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:54 am 
Learner

You use a trailer? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 am 
Learner

What is a trailer? lol

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am 
Wizard

bigdaveakers wrote:
Trouble is that it is £65 a shot for the trailer come rain or shine......trying to convince the wife that a trailer is a good investment!

That could solve my problem, for the 2 or 3 times I get togo to the track, renting a trailer makes good sense right now :yes:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:22 am 
Wizard

dbv8 wrote:
You use a trailer? :lol:

Ha Ha!!
It was when I started using a trailer that my times got much better. No need to worry about getting home :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:30 pm 
Learner

For 2 years i have rolled into York in my little TVR, unpacked my camping gear, bbq stuff, helmet, clothes, coolbox full of beer, airbed, quilt, pillows, toolkits, jack, 3 nitrous bottles, a spare 20 ltrs of v-power, and swapped the rear wheels with a pair wearing 255 Mickey Ts.

Despite a few mishaps i have managed to repair and return home.