NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PPC £999 Challenge 2010 - Santa Pod
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 am 
Wizard

Here we go again..........

15 days to go to race day and I havnt even got the engine installed.......

Ive got to finish the engine build, find the missing half shaft, sort out the fuel pumps - I havnt got any so Im REALY struggling, pluymb up the water and supercharger as well as check the brakes, install the seats and this is only on the Skoda Rapid that Rapid Yellow (SteveU) is going to race!

My car still needs the brakes bled and the injection point moving.......

So much to do with such a major time crunch.

Anyone got fuel pumps I can beg/borrow/steal/Buy? Need EFI type that are external to the tank. One for the Carb (I have the regulator but it is rising rate as we are using a supercharger) and one for the nitrous system.

If it wasnt for the lack of money and mechanics then it would be like a rally team!

In which case its just like Scrapheap challenge........................................

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: PPC £999 Challenge 2010 - Santa Pod
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 pm 
Wizard

I got a brand new 044 I can lend you. The one you gave me I lent to a mate who has now vanished :) So I bought a new one for the next fuel system mod on the new engine.

If you need to borrow it let me know.

Pel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:03 am 
Wizard

Hi pel

Thanks

Just found an 038 on ebay - much better than some of the prices!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm 
Wizard

Good news mate :)

I've just started the first phase of my engine block patch up for the day after your event next Friday !!

There is just not enough time to get my spare block re linered and decked + fitted etc in time. So I may actually have the MGB on site at your event so I can carry on building in the pits ready for my record attempt the next day?? I'm hoping to be able to run the engine and warm it enough to heat the new head gaskets so I can re torque overnight once it has cooled down properly. I have nothing to lose now so I may as well just finish off this engine as early as possible on the Saturday so I can help You and Richard to get some tuning done.
Hopefully we will be seeing some new PB's for you guys on the Saturday. Then Rich can run the Bimmer on Sunday and max it out :victory: :victory:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:35 am 
Wizard

:yes: :bow:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:12 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
Hopefully we will be seeing some new PB's for you guys on the Saturday. Then Rich can run the Bimmer on Sunday and max it out :victory: :victory:

I might start a thread for the BMW show shortly, but wanted to say all is looking good so far.
Trev and I have discussed a couple of things (in the Max Extreme), so I have a pretty good idea how to get instant NOS launches now. Like you say, a bit of practise on the Saturday. I dare say I'll have some serious competition on the Sunday from the New M3's, M5's and M6's. They can run 13.0 out of the box :evil:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm 
Wizard

If you can lose the bloody bog for the first 100 feet you should be seeing mid 13's at least :beatstick:

Then we can wind the power up some more to find that 12.9 :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
If you can lose the bloody bog for the first 100 feet you should be seeing mid 13's at least :beatstick:

Then we can wind the power up some more to find that 12.9 :yes:

We'll ALL do our best next weekend :yes:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 pm 
Wizard

THE COPPER HEAD GASKETS HAVE ARRIVED :wav:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 pm 
Wizard

mgbv8 wrote:
THE COPPER HEAD GASKETS HAVE ARRIVED :wav:

And they failed after 5 seconds and pessurised the water system :(

After only getting ther engine back together at 9pm last night I came very close to unhooking the trailer with the MG on it and driving home, never to return to the Pod..

Luckily I have good mates around me and I stepped back for a tea break to rethink and walk away from the frame of mind I was in before I did something stupid. So after a civilised tea break in Skoda Steve's new car trailer / mobile home wagon I calmed down.

I guessed the sealant I used was not good enough. I rang my Son and asked him to drop off the torque wrench and some spare gaskets. I undid the first jubillee clip to drain the coolant system at 10.45am. By the time my Son arrived at 12 the engine was stripped and the heads ready to come off. My Son Jason then got the heads off while I rested my tweaked back by laying flat out in the back of his Transit van. I very nearly fitted a set of stock comp gaskets. But I had promised that I would test these copper gaskets and I dont break my promises. Obviously Hylomar was not up to the job at hand. So I rummaged in the back of the truck and found a tube of 250C rated boiler flue mastic sealant. This is what we use on flue pipe joints.
I cleaned everything up spotless and ran a 1mm bead around all the holes on the gasket and set it on the block. I did the same to the heads and set them on the gaskets. Initial nip down was 50 ft/lb. Then after 10 mins 60ft/lbs. Then after 20 mins 70ft/lbs. Then after 1 hour 78ft/lbs.
Me and Jason put everything back together and at 3.45pm I turned the key. She burst into life and idled nicely. I let it warm at idle to 70C while checking for leaks and for bubbles in the coolant. All was well and I shut her down. Between 3.45pm and 5.45pm I let her idle to 70C and then cool to 30C. The last test fire of the day saw me gewntly building revs and then giving short WOT bursts with no problems. That was enough for me. I'm happy that in the morning I should be able to run on the strip with no problems. I'm going to run as early as possible because if she breaks I want it to be by 11.30am. This will give me time to rebuild by 4pm to try again.

Now the Show stuff!!
Between my Son arriving and starting the engine we took short break to watch the Drag Racing and handling circuit runs. It was a really good day out to be honest. A great variety of cars on site. And all the guys we met were petrolheads.. The old MG got a lot of attention and folk could not believe that we were actually doing a top end rebuild in the pits on the trailer :)
We got a good few thumbs up and respect when folk heard the MG fire up in the afternoon and saw that it seemed to be ok.
I'll let Steve comment on the antics of the 2 Skoda's from today. But the one thing I will say is: The Skoda boys just laugh in the face of problems and keep on racing :yes:
They drop ice cubes down the back of bad luck.... They see the bringer of engine doom and gloom arrive...... And they just give him a wedgie and keep on racing anyway :D :D

As well as the PPC challenge, the folk from 5th gear were on site filming as well. So we may even get on the telly again :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 am 
Wizard

My Go......

Ah Well - got a FEW issyoos to fix -

The rush job was barely completed and the fact that a v8 carb wont take boost didnt stop Rapid Yellow from racing :yes: however 21 secs is a bit slow :( his car held out which is more than can be said for 10 of the other entrants (that I counted - could be more)

My Blue Rapid ....... Well lets just say more work required. I got it up to a 50 shot and launched full on - I know what 11 seconds feels like thanks to Austin - this felt that quick.............. I was miles ahead of the bloke next to me till the 1/8th and - yep BANG - blew the turbo pipes and set fire to the car :shock:

we exploded the top pipe, popped the dump valve and nitrous pipes shouldnt look like that.......... (pel has pics to embarrass me with later)

Back to the pits after putting out the fire, cut out burny bits, nick Pipes off the MG for nitrous, nick boost pipe off red rapid and go again........... Only ran a 16.09 but its the best so far this year :cry:

Piston 1 let go about 12 am so I ran a 16 with 3 cylinders..... And smoked the competition in the handling course but not in a good way.........

Engine is now fecked but it starts, runs and will still do the 1/4 in 18 with no nitrous! Tell me again why Skodas have heated rear windows?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:00 pm 
Wizard

How many time have I told you??
KEEP THE PULSOID LINES SMOOTH AND AVOID SHARP BENDS !!!!

ALSO, MAKE SURE THE BOOST IS NOT TOO MUCH FOR THE HOSES :rofl: