NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Low life thieving SCUM - MUST READ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Admin

A few days ago some low life scum managed to access the business bank account and were in the process of emptying the account when both my bank and I realised that was what was happening and put a stop to it.

Since then I've been searching for the safest way to protect myself against identity theft and similar security issues, as I've discovered that anti virus and other security systems don't always hack it nowadays.

This is what I've discovered to be the best means of protection against the scum of the earth and I'd advise EVERYONE to download it and benefit from it.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/online- ... apportFURL

All the best

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Low life thieving SCUM - MUST READ
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 am 
Wizard

i was with alliance and Leicester now santander...last year they reported unsual activity in my account basically taking small pence amounts ..i was informed this is what happens before the big hit :shock: anyway my online banking have that type of software now trev and of corse im alot more vigilant these days...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:51 am 
Learner

Now and then I receive banking alert messages concerning my account from HSBC in my email
The funny thing is, I have never dealt with HSBC nor have I a registered account with them.
It`s the same thing over and over again, their security staff discovered some unusual transfer activity and they want me to klick some links.

Turns out the people behind it are internet criminals from Nigeria oddly enough operating from a secret location somewhere in Holland.

Oh, and stay away from a company called Nationwide clutchdistributors, and its sister company Just Clutches. They take your money and disappear from the face of the earth. Be warned John Cooper (aka John Fisher and son), one day our paths will cross.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm 
Learner

I get those HSBC ones as well, ive reported them but they still keep coming, i get fake paypal ones too.

thats crap Trev, really foul, I had a small amount taken out of my account last yea, someone had cloned my card and the payment went to a website company in Canada, i noticed the £50 they had taken by luck as it was a top payment on my bank statement, when i went back i noticed a month or two before they had taken a $2 amount, by the looks to see if i would notice.

Luckily i got my small amount back, but its more the principal than the amount.

I dont know what the cure is, but its seems to be getting more previlent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:20 pm 
Learner

I think it's just scare tactics from the Banks. First Direct are always offering that same software and I'm not convinced a web-savvy person would need it. They are aiming at the lowest common denominator, the folk that'll believe they have won the european lottery and send off all their details.

This software just seems to stop people going to bogus versions of their bank's website. How great is that risk?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

magic919 wrote:
I think it's just scare tactics from the Banks. First Direct are always offering that same software and I'm not convinced a web-savvy person would need it. They are aiming at the lowest common denominator, the folk that'll believe they have won the european lottery and send off all their details.

This software just seems to stop people going to bogus versions of their bank's website. How great is that risk?

Can't agree with any of that, because as far as I'm aware ALL I DID was visit my banks web site. I still have NO IDEA how the bastards got hold of my customer code number, my password and my security code!!!! Furthermore, I'm not with that bank but Ant (who recommended the use of this software), assures me it will work on ALL websites that require maximum security.

Here are a couple more scams that I've had to deal with over the years;

1) Orders from abroad from BASTARDS who have stolen an unsuspecting persons CC details - this is worse than the latest bank scam, because the bank would have recovered the money taken from our account but in the above con, the guy who had his CC details stolen gets his money back but we LOSE the value of the full order

2) Some SCUM customers order products and then claim they haven't received them even though they have been signed for and get away with it by claiming the signature is not theirs.

These scams have been tried on us so many times that we can spot them as soon as we receive the email or the phone call, so we don't fall for them any more but I'm SURE others out there will be suffering as I type. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:10 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
magic919 wrote:

Can't agree with any of that, because as far as I'm aware ALL I DID was visit my banks web site. I still have NO IDEA how the bastards got hold of my customer code number, my password and my security code!!!! Furthermore, I'm not with that bank but Ant (who recommended the use of this software), assures me it will work on ALL websites that require maximum security.

I don't see how this will help. If you only visited your bank's website, which I fully accept, then it has nothing to help you with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 pm 
Learner

Thankfully never been a victim of this, but good to know my bank is on the ball (Co-op) when I paid for a clutch I sent $1,200 US to a US paypal account and within 2 minutes of sending it (obviously using my own legit details) I had both paypal USA AND my bank ringing me to check it was legit. I felt very reassured! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 am 
Site Admin

magic919 wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
magic919 wrote:

I don't see how this will help. If you only visited your bank's website, which I fully accept, then it has nothing to help you with.

I haven't had time to read it all and I'm relying on Ant knowing what he's on about and he suggested this in full knowledge of what happened, so I can't comment any further on it.

I was happy with our banks handling of the matter as they must have some software that detects unusual activity and picked this up immediately it happened, then locked our account. They also sent me a text asking if I'd authorised the transaction, so there wasn't any real chance of them getting the money but the reason I made the post was to make other people aware just in case they weren't so lucky.

From my BRIEF reading of what the software I linked to offers, it sounds like a specific program to reduce the associated risks of ALL on line financial transactions and if that's the case I'm more than happy to have it working on my computer. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 am 
Wizard

Ah yes - I must be the only IT Guy wh DOESNT use online banking!

I pays my money to the THIEVING banks - they can damn well give me some customer service!

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:40 am 
Wizard

I don't suppose the bank have told you what method and details this fraudster used to access the account?

TO ALL - If you're not aware, I suggest anyone that uses online banking (or any other confidential site) researches "phishing" and how they work.

http://www.banksafeonline.org.uk/phishi ... ained.html

In short, phishing is (usually) a ruse email that looks bona fide but requests you log into your account (for whatever reason) but their link doesn't take you to the real site and you end up giving away your login and password(s) to this fake site.

IMO, the banks don't put enough safety measures in place and that's because they've got the T&C's so biased that the customer is always blamed for any frauds in the first instance.

I hope I've misinterpreted this technology but has anyone seen this Barclaycard ad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlRcXIO5ik

AFAICT, it works like RF tags or immobiliser chips in car keys - in other words, it is designed to be remotely scanned. Can anyone spot the insecurity problem here?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
Wizard

I had my card scammed late last year. To be fair to the bank (barclays), they contacted me the following day regarding iregular activity on my account after the first attempts to spend my money!. By then they'd try to buy numerous cd's from Itunes an expensive watch by mail order etc, they were into over £1200 in one day. In the end i didn't loose anything, most orders were declined because the delivery address didn't match my own address. I even recieved a letter from one asking for clarification for the order...which was worth a phone call!. Found out the persons name/address in London using my card details!. I'm also 99.9% sure i know where the card was skimmed, a filling station near thirsk :tard: Despite passing all the info onto the Barclays fraud department, i don't think anything was ever done and as i didn't loose anything in the end i couldn't really chase them up :beatstick:

Still a pain in the back side, the card was blocked instantly and it takes several days to get a new one, plus checking the account for weeks/months afterwards looking for anything odd :evil: .

Moral of the story- watch what you do with your card or where it goes, and look for it being swiped in more than one machine :idea: , idealy keep it in your own hands at all times, you put it in the chip/pin machine, enter your pin and you remove it.

Phishing e-mails are rife, i get them quite regularly for HSBC, TSB, Loyds, Natwest, Paypal. Never ever log in through their links, normaly the web sites they link to are obviously the wrong internet address.

Ian