NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: how much crap is in the media..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 pm 
Learner

i watched this film on NTL (i know im nearly 20 but i was VERY bored) and it was like a teenagers film about some kids braking into a bank and escaping on go karts - made me laugh when he was like ''this is 100psi of NOS'' and it makes the cart rapid (or makes the film speed up. lol)

100psi?? my farts probably are more than that :lol:

^^ R.I.P ^^
new ride: standard 04 plate Clio 182 with cup suspension pack

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:31 pm 
Learner

In the new movie "Gone in 60 seconds" (not the classic version from the mid-1970s which is 1000% better), there is a scene where our hero is escaping from the police in his Mustang. I don't remember the exact numbers but he is escaping them at like 130 MPH (about 7500 engine RPM) and then in order to escape the helicopter he arms the nitrous button and takes off (maybe to 160 - 170 - 180 MPH or whatever, we don't know).

But since the engine is already doing 7500 before nitrous, somehow the magic nitrous makes the engine have no problem winding up to 10,000 RPM or 11,000 RPM or whatever it is.

(That might not be a shocker in Europe where the tiny 4-cylinders rev to high heaven, but trust me- no American V8 is gonna survive at 10,000 RPM).

-Bob C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:42 pm 
:lol: I don't know where that comes from, loads of people seem to think it gives more RPM for some reason, i suppose to them "faster" means more RPM.
(Oh the number of times that ones come up :x )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:51 pm 

I never knew there was an original classic version of that movie Bob. Will have to look into that.

Can we even count how many myths are out there? There is this show called "Myth Busters" here in the states and I think I should submit a nitrous test idea to them. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Loopy,
I'm sure you know this already but your post will seem to indicate to others that you don't and give them the wrong info.

Most cars are geared to pull max rpm in all but top gear and top gear has a degree of over drive to hold the rpm a couple of thou below the red line. Adding an appropriate amount of nitrous (power) will allow you to pull the higher rpm in top gear.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:12 pm 
You awkward sod !
"Most" people i come accross seem to think nitrous gives an engine an extra 5000rpm or the ability to rev past the redline.
I seem to have been in the conversation where you have to explain it just gets to the redline a lot faster and thats what makes it quicker all too often.
Absolute top speed rarely comes into it.
I havn't been asked "what'll it do flat out" for a long time now.

Or is that just the kind of people i tend to deal with ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:17 pm 
Learner

i get that all the time

''how fast does it go with the gas on''

well about 10 mph faster.. lol

but now it hits the limiter on or off gas at 123.9 mph :P

^^ R.I.P ^^
new ride: standard 04 plate Clio 182 with cup suspension pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:15 pm 
:lol: Maybe i've developed selected deafness :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 am 
Site Admin

What can I say???? ;)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:01 am 
Pro Mod

Yeah Bob your right and I was snickering to myself in the theater when I went and saw it. You see i have had alot of rare Mustangs in my younger years and I thought that shot if it going 180 was a joke. Plus 7500 rpm is about it for a Ford FE 427 engine.

I agree the 70's version was much better, but the new one did have Angiline...lol

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:49 am 
Learner

Hah! You guys think Gone In Sixty Secondes was bad! obviosly nobody here has ever been subjected to "Biker BoyZ" or "Torq" now thats what I call Dogshite! :x

Whos in the Classic one then?, I've never heard of it.

Post subject: The original Gone in Sixty Seconds
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:13 pm 
Learner

The classic one was a super-low budget movie, made by a guy from California that owned a junkyard. I think his name was H.B. Halicki. The two movies, although they share the same name, do not really share much else- a couple of the charachter's names are the same and the movie is about stealing cars. But pretty much all else is different.

I think the original movie held the record for the most cars destroyed in a movie until Blues Brothers took that away.

http://www.filmsondisc.com/dvdpages/gon ... econds.htm

The original was re-released with an "upgraded" soundtrack, which you probably wouldn't notice unless you had seen the original.

Even though it is a B-grade movie and the acting is abysmal, it is a "must see" for a car buff. It is probably hard to find- I was lucky to buy a VHS tape of the original from a video store that was going out of business.

If you want a high-class Hollywood production, this is not your flick. But if you want to sit back and watch the longest car chase in the history of movies, this will provide amusement for 90 minutes.

-Bob C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:44 pm 

'Biker Boyz' was bad. I saw it on cable about a week ago.

Bob,
The orginal version almost sounds like a "Two Lane Blacktop" type movie. A cult classic but nothing to great. I finally found the movie on the internet after hearing about it so much and I was left thinking what was the hype about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:08 pm 

Wasn't the original made with a load of the guys friends instead of actual actors, hence the slightly bad acting? I'm sure I saw a programme years ago about it,apparently when he whacks the car into a lampost he really did hurt himself and filming had to stop for a few weeks..Or something..Worth a watch though for sure :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:47 pm 
Learner

Hmmm I'm a Mad Max man myself so sounds like the originals right up my street. Where can I find it in Britain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:33 pm 
Learner

[quote="fastphil"]Wasn't the original made with a load of the guys friends instead of actual actors, hence the slightly bad acting? I'm sure I saw a programme years ago about it,apparently when he whacks the car into a lampost he really did hurt himself and filming had to stop for a few weeks..Or something..Worth a watch though for sure :o[/quote]

Yea, the lamppost scene was real and unplanned, but they happened to catch it nicely on film. Since they car still ran after the collision, they kept using it!

I don't know if they were all friends, but the acting was abysmal. In fact for many scenes you can't see the actor's faces when they talk because they don't want you to know how poor the acting (and audio) was.

But I'm a car guy and not acting professional, so I could care less about poor acting!