NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do PayPal offer protection?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:05 pm 
Learner

Well looks like I am being taken for a ride! The guy that was selling me the turbo kit has now decided not to respond to my emails, he hasnt responded for 6 days now and it seems unlikley that I will get my money back! :(

Thats $2000 USD pissed up against a wall!

Does anyone know of any ways I can go about trying to get my cash / goods back? I have exhausted all means of contacting this guy! Money was sent by PayPal on the 19th of feb.

I though this guy would have been a safe bet! Well known in the US Mr2 club, "had" the most powerful / fastest Mr2 on stock internals, had past good trading history, had his address etc. Alarm bells should have started ringing when he started pissing around with the postage wanting over double what it normally costs.

As I have his address I may book a flight out there and batter him into the ground.

Just my f*cking luck or what! :evil:

Regards
James

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:12 pm 
Learner

Looks like Paypal offers some protection, as long as the guy hasn't died or something.

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr ... op-outside

Did you buy this from a company, or individual?

-Bob C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'd have thought Paypal would have given you some recourse, otherwise if the guy is within reach of Denny, I'd pay Denny to make him a visit. ;-)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:55 pm 
Learner

Firstly im very reliably informed by a experienced ebay who's had the same thing happen to them that if you tell Paypal the situation and lodge a complaint - IF the seller cannot PROVE the goods have been sent on a recorded,insured (ie: reliable and traceable postal service) the transaction will "void" and your money will be refunded.

Also,was the money an actual "balance" on your Paypal account or did it go through Paypal and will be chargeable to your credit-card ?

Surely you must automatically have online-transaction fraud protection on your card ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 pm 
Learner

Quote:
Looks like Paypal offers some protection, as long as the guy hasn't died or something.

Hi Bob, well if he has stiffed me he better wish he was dead! :evil: I am persuing all options at the moment. This looks promising.

Quote:
Relationship between Buyer Complaint Policy and Credit Card Chargeback Rights. If you used a credit card to fund a purchase of goods or services through PayPal, you may have chargeback rights granted by your credit card issuer. Credit card chargebacks, if they apply, can be filed more than 45 days after the transaction, are not limited to funds in the seller’s balance, and cover cases where the goods are not as described by the seller as well as cases of non-delivery.

You can choose to pursue the Buyer Complaint process or your credit card chargeback rights; however, you cannot pursue both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you initiate a Buyer Complaint claim and, while the claim is pending, you file a credit card chargeback, PayPal will cancel your Buyer Complaint claim, and you will have to rely solely on your credit card chargeback rights.

If you cancel your Buyer Complaint claim or it is denied or results in no refund, you may still be able to pursue credit card chargeback rights. In many cases, your credit card company will allow you to file a chargeback for 90 days or more after the date of the payment. If PayPal resolves a Buyer Complaint claim in the buyer’s favor but the buyer does not receive a full recovery of their payment, and if the time for processing of the claim results in the buyer’s loss of credit card chargeback rights, then PayPal will provide a full recovery to the buyer.

PayPal encourages all buyer purchase disputes that cannot be resolved directly with the seller to be filed and resolved through the Resolution Center. PayPal reserves the right to terminate or limit account access privileges of buyers who misuse the credit card chargeback process to get their money back and keep the goods, or to recover payment twice for the same dispute, or who file three or more chargebacks per 12-month period that are ruled invalid by the applicable card association or card issuer. PayPal reserves the right to contest credit card chargebacks, in accordance with the rules of the applicable card issuer or card association.

If a chargeback claim is initiated by a buyer, whether as a result of a dispute with the seller or for any other reason, the buyer and seller agree to provide to any requesting party on a timely basis any and all necessary documentation to resolve the dispute. PayPal DOES NOT act as the agent of either party in any transaction or resulting dispute, though PayPal does decide the outcome of disputes initiated through the Buyer Complaint process.

Just chatted to Barclay Card and they are sending me a charge back form pending an investigation. I have thankfully kept all the emails sent to him and proof of payment, and I have also kep the mails I have sent to other parties to try and track him down.

Cheers

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:43 pm 
Learner

Quote:
I'd have thought Paypal would have given you some recourse, otherwise if the guy is within reach of Denny, I'd pay Denny to make him a visit. ;-)

I was thinking about a short break in the states - if you know what I mean. Denny fancy a road trip to VA :lol: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:09 pm 

I always pay most transactions with a credit card as you are protected.

James let me know what turbo, parts, etc. you want specifically and I will get a qoute from Derek. Might be in your best interest to let me know what your motor specs are again and goals. Derek is good at knowing what range a turbo will work at and if it's not suited for daily driving etc.

Post subject: Shafted
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:59 pm 

I also lost £280 on ebay aftr buying an Ipod and they have done bugger all to help me and that was about 1 month ago. They sent me an email saying it had been resolved but didn't detail who was wrong and what they did. Didn't get my money back. Was looking into suing ebay as received int that they already had this happen with this guy and they let him do it again. Plus I can't lose as will just declare myself bankrupt if they try to charge me!

Regards,
Gig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:39 pm 

Unreal how someone can just steal from people. Seems simple enough to me that a product or service is delivered when paid for, if not then refund the money and any other damages that may have been involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:07 am 

Ive recently sent 2 grand for parts to the US, but i did a direct bank wire, fooking hope i dont get stiffed as i wont have the paypal or creditcard protection, think i'll stick to only dealing with people who accept credit cards in future possibly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm 

If you guys deal with Derek or Jeff you won't have to worry about getting stiffed and I know their prices can be as good if not better than anyone else. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:59 pm 
Learner

Hi Chaps, thanks for all the help and suggestions. Luckily (for him) the seller got in touch - turns out he has been on holiday (what a prick!) Still he says the goods will be shipped ASAP. Thankfully Barclay card would have covered the Paypal transaction and given me a refund had he stiffed me! Fingers crossed it turns up in one piece!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:21 am 
Learner

Ive had that excuse before from a seller, seems to be a bit of a favourite, or what about,my computer was down, I didnt get your emails, I broke my finger and couldnt type,next doors cat ate my mouse, I was arrested for internet fraud.

fingers crossed everything will work out ok for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:48 pm 

I hate when people don't communicate. Fine if being on holiday were true, but a simple e-mail saying so when you know a person is waiting on goods isn't to much trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:13 pm 
Learner

Quote:
I hate when people don't communicate. Fine if being on holiday were true, but a simple e-mail saying so when you know a person is waiting on goods isn't to much trouble.

Its sad isnt it an email is so simple - this guy obviously cant communicate for his life - he has another day t give me a shipping number otherwise I will trash him online again. Seeing as the USPS will even collect parcels for free he simply dosnt have any excuse for delay

Heres hoping!

Cheers

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:46 pm 
Learner

QUOTE:

Ive had that excuse before from a seller, seems to be a bit of a favourite, or what about,my computer was down, I didnt get your emails, I broke my finger and couldnt type,next doors cat ate my mouse, I was arrested for internet fraud.

PMPL,very good :lol: - Your obviously an experienced ebayer.Ive heard all those before and more.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:18 am 

james if you contact paypal they will take the cash back out of his account if you log a complaint within one month of the date of purchace

you must do this now though as it only does this within that month

cult member#4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:33 am 
Learner

....which i did point out 4 days ago on this post.

As well as being a well known Paypal scam ( where buyers claim they've never recieved their goods and get a refund from Paypal),it will also work for genuine ebayers in situations like this :)

If you want to get out of this deal its the easy solution.