NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shipping from the US ....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:06 am 
Learner

Morning guys,

I know Denny could probably advise properly on this issue but I thought I would ask the rest of the list as well.

I am having a turbo, manifold and down pipe posted from the US. The seller has said it will / may cost £164 ($300) to post! What the f**k I hear you cry. Does anyone know of the rough shipping cost for these sorts of goods as I have no intention on getting fleeced for postage! You know the typical Ebay scam of charging £15 for postage and then when the goods turn up postage equates to £2.50!

I know that to send a turbo / downpipe in the UK insured comes to £12 – so double that for US and add another £10 for the weight of the manifold. So around £30 which is what I have already sent for postage.

Anyone know of a good shipper I the US?

Regards

James

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:52 am 
Learner

I import from the U.S. regularly,so im aware of some of the scams being worked especially on ebay,shipping for a turbo etc I would think would be about £40 to £50 there may be a small surcharge added because of the weight. Is there another seller you could email to ask about postage, that way you have a comparison?
As for a good courier I have found UPS to be one of the best they have a good tracking system. One final thing, ask the seller if your item is being sent air frieght, some sellers charge you for air but send via ship delivery with this method can take 12 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:29 am 
Learner

Im pretty sure that Fedex,DHL or UPS will have a "cost calculator" on their websites................... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:55 am 
Learner

Ive just done a postal charge estimate for you. Allowing for a heavy package (surcharge) and to be delivered this friday guaranteed, it came to 185$ not cheap. you could reduce the charge however if you didnt want express delivery . Remember to have your item sent as a gift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 pm 
Learner

Wow thanks for your efforts Jimbo, that’s really appreciated. 185 USD wouldn’t be such an issue if it got here for Friday. I don’t need it that soon so if it takes a week and a bit that’s fine for me and that should lessen the cost.

I would suspect the package to weight the same as two turbo’s or there about. Who was the shipping quote with? I am going to tell the seller to go to them and get a price.

Cheers

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:49 pm 
Learner

Quote was with UPS. try shopping around you may find cheaper.
You will need a U.S. zip code to get a quote. In the location box put denver CO 80214 also under estimate the value, it is a gift after all . FEDx is another good one Maybe Denny could recommend a U.S. courier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:29 pm 
Learner

That sounds like the typical price for UPS expedited service to England.

We ship stuff all the time, and even a frickin letter cost $100 to go UPS expedited. The Postal Service is cheaper, but slower.

-Bob C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:32 pm 

The U.S. Post Office is the cheapest and for some reason they don't charge import taxes like UPS and Fed EX do. UPS is good for heavy domestic packages but I like the Post Office for small packages and international shipping. Air mail seems like the best route for price and time.

Sucks to have my honest concious as I sometimes lose a few dollars on shipping yet alone make a killing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:52 pm 
Learner

I would suspect the package to be 70 lbs. The reason I say that is because I have seen a turbo kit going for sale, manifold, downpipe, turbo, lines and IC and the weight is listed as 75lbs - so give or take a little. Thing is UPS rate it at something like 300 usd, Fed ex the same and even the USPS comes up with that price. Crap! I suppose though if that’s what it costs then I just have to accept it. Unless anyones knows of cheaper? Just hope I don’t get stuffed on taxes! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:02 pm 

Be in my position where we have the shipping to contend with and a crappy conversion rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:22 pm 
Learner

70LB. didnt relise it was that heavy.As for taxes, thats why I mentioned gift, if tax is charged,its to the total cost including postage. gets very expensive, on the bright side thanks to the exchange rate in our favour you may still get a bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:23 pm 
Learner

Hi Jimbo,

I am not sure on the total weight, sadly the seller is a man of very few words I am still trying to ascertain what the weight is. I have a tested approach for getting parts through and minimising duty so hopefully my luck will hold out as I haven’t had duty on my past deliveries.

Regards

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:26 pm 

Ive just ordered a set of rods, set of pistons, and a manifold from the states, and been quoted a similar amount for shipping.

I need them in a hurry so just paid it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:31 pm 
Learner

Just got an email from him saying the package is 43 lbs!!! He still wants 275 usd for it!

USPS does 3-5 day for that weight, global express mail $152 usd! Significant saving.

Denny is that the usual service you use when posting to the UK? Cheers mate!

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:01 pm 
From what i've heard UPS are certainly not customs friendly.
The guys on the club warn specifically against UPS due to import charges (even on "ahem" gifts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:09 pm 
Learner

Yeah UPS and Fedex will do you over big time - I got stung for duty on 4 rod bolts! Thing is I paid the duty on the postage and not the flipping parts :evil:

Still US PS has always come up trumps and thats who Denny has used when he has kindly sent parts to me. I think the difference is USPS let you pay the duty on arrival and its your problem.

UPS and Fedex take it on themselves to collect the money as they also can then also charge an administration fee ontop so basically money for nothing! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:17 pm 

I do use USPS. I have never seen an import charge but UPS and Fed Ex send me a separate bill everytime but Highpower has now switched over to the PS also for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:50 am 
Learner

$300 seems a hell of a lot. I used Fedex to ship in $6k worth of Audio gear, including 100kg of Dynamat Extreme. All came in 4 boxes in total, total shipping was $580 for a total weight of about 150kg