NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

If the injector (nozzle) does a good job of atomising the fuel (as our Crossfire does) then fuel drop out due to fuel clinging to the greater surface area is minimal, however you are right when using other kits that have a poor nozzle design.

You can't shut the throttle quicker than the nitrous can move through the system, unless the system has been designed/fitted badly, resulting in excessively long pipe lengths. A correctly fitted system would have very short pipe work and as most intercoolers have exits that are very close to the throttle body there should not be any problems. Having said that, even if you did get "some" nitrous and fuel caught between the intercooler and the throttle body, what problem do you expect it to cause?

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:13 pm 
Learner

Thanks for the explination.

I would think that the rest of the nitrous that get's stuck in the
tube (3 1/2 feet?) would be sucked up by the idle control and rev high
untill the excess was burned off.

I actually have a dry nos kit on my N/A for fear of haveing a back-fire
with a single fogger.
Backfire + soaking wet menifold = explosion & fire :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Donkeypunch wrote:
Thanks for the explination.

I would think that the rest of the nitrous that get's stuck in the
tube (3 1/2 feet?)
I don't know of any cars that have a 3 1/2 foot pipe between the intercooler outlet and the butterfly, however on such a vehicle I'd suggest mounting the injector near the butterfly. Whilst we have "general" guidelines we also offer "specific" guidance to those that want it and then we consider all aspects before giving advice.

would be sucked up by the idle control and rev high
untill the excess was burned off.
That situation is very unlikely, because you would never use nitrous for hard acceleration and then instantly be running at idle rpm. You might shut the throttle off quickly and slow down quickly but it's unlikely that by the time you've slowed to a low enough level to need a steady idle rpm that even with 3 1/2 feet of pipe there would still be any nitrous and fuel filtering into the engine.

I actually have a dry nos kit on my N/A for fear of haveing a back-fire
with a single fogger.
It's not a dry or wet factor that causes a backfire, as they can happen on both, it's just that with a wet system the backfire would cause a worse result than a dry system. The answer is not to use a dry system but to use a well designed wet system to minimise the risk of a backfire in the first place. :idea:

Backfire + soaking wet menifold = explosion & fire :?:

Agreed, so take away the cause of the backfire (a badly designed and badly fitted nitrous kit) and you've solved the problem. A backfire on a dry system can still cause a great deal of damage so you have only reduced the extent of the potential damage rather than removed the cause of the problem. :idea:

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:11 pm 
Learner

This is an example of the layout of my engine:

http://www.saabturboclub.biz/sraz/4/P5100043.jpg

Where would be the best place to mount the injector? I was thinking of putting it i the rubber hose (close to the battery) but am worried about the sharp bend and the fact it's really close to the throttle body. The pulsoids are mounted on the other side of the false bulk head (coolest place)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:55 am 
Wizard

That is a SHARP bend. I know this may sound drastic (and the effect on forced induction is less) but I'd consider relocating your battery to the boot. You could then have a smoother curve to the bend. But apart from this you could mount the crossfire just after the bend. You'll probably need to ensure that your not spraying at the axle of the butterfly as you're going to be really close to it. My only concern is - what is the airflow doing after that sharp bend? My instict would tell me to put the crossfire so that it is injecting into the higher velocity air on the outside of the bend. I'm now pressing the TREV! button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:22 pm 
Learner

Just a quick 1 about mixture settings can i use my wide band to check mixture instead of the plugs as its alot easyier am i looking for the same 11.3 ish afr with nitrous on?
Sorry to sound thick Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 pm 
Wizard

You certainly don't sound thick! but I'd post in the "General Nitrous Discussion" section - you'll get an answer quicker there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 pm 
Learner

cheers