NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bottle positioning
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:13 pm 

First post guys, so apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I have looked...

Is it acceptable to mount my bottle (11lb) transversely behind the passenger seat, as this would appear to be the best way to get it in my car...

I know the installation manual says to mount with the neck facing forwards, and I can see the theory behind this, but is it possible to do the above (obviously maintaining the correct angle on the bottle mount etc...)

Help needed!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:20 pm 
Learner

It is possible, but the liquid will slop about more in corners.

I think to ensure the pickup pipe is always in the liquid, the bottle needs to be angled upwards by 30 degrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:34 pm 

Correct rover!

Scirocco,
Your internal bottle siphon tube is bent to be pointing in the same direction as your outlet nut. Think of the outlet nut and the internal siphon tube as one piece in a "U" shaped configuration. So now consider when you are accelerating or going around corners where the liquid is going to go. When the bottle is full it doesn't matter as most of the bottle contains liquid but once half full and under you can start to pick up a mixture of gas and liquid.

With all this in mind you can now decide how to mount your bottle and maybe consider not letting it get low on nitrous if ideal bottle position needs to be compromised.

Last edited by racetested on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:55 pm 

Okay, that's what I thought...

So in real world application, the only time that liquid would not be picked up is in cornering in the direction opposed to the top of the bottle, as due to TLOP, the liquid will be pushed back in the bottle by accelarative force, and down in the bottle by gravity.

Maybe a good way to go would be to angle the outlet nut backwards slightly so that the offtake tube is located towards the rear and bottom of the cylinder, and maybe increase the angle of the bottle mount to give gravity the edge over acceleration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:44 pm 

The siphon tube can be bent to a different configuration if requested. Maybe you can ring Highpower and have a siphon tube bent to your specs and swap bottles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:55 am 

Actually, when I read the installation instructions, it pretty much says exactly what I put in the last post ("for transverse mounting install the bottle with the diptube at a 45 degree angle towards the rear of the car").

I have also put a small MDF chock underneath the higher end to raise the angle further.

I bet you guys never tire of this, but the build quality on all the bits within the kit is absolutely amazing. I've never seen such amazing quality and precision. V. Impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:31 am 
Site Admin

It does get a bit repetative some times but then so do most jobs, it's just life! ;)

Glad you appreciate all my hard work in making the "perfect" product.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!