NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrous Jaguar V12 dax cobra
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 pm 

Hi
I am Peter and live in Malvern UK
I am new to the forum and have been looking at fitting a Nitrous Oxide system to my pre he V12 jaguar engine fitted in a Dax cobra replica body
I am still building the car but it should be finished in the next few months
I have made a list of products that I think I will need

SB150i2/2 Nitrous kit with 11lb bottle 5mm Nylon lines with throttle switch
Max Extreme X2 Nitrous Controller with wire pack fuel transducer and Nitrous transducer
Nitrous Bottle Heater
Nitrous gauge for bottle
SPRV Port Adaptor
1/8 bsp to 5mm pipe F/M adaptor for Nitrous pressure transducer
length of stainless steel hard line to connect fuel pulsoids to injectors
2X V12 fuel deflectors
I may fit a purge kit, If I do I want two jet cloud outlets and to keep the amount of pipework down it may be neater to use two purge solenoids but obviously more expensive

Questions are

Is there any difference between the purge solenoids and Nitrous pulsoids other than the purge ones are black?

If I run two 5mm Nylon feeds from the bottle Y connection in the boot to each of the nitrous pulsiods will I still get a max 300 BHP hit?

At what BHP shot do you think I will need to fit a high performance fuel pump my system runs at 30psi

how are the jet sizes calculated when I order the kit, is it fuel Pressure hit size etc?

would there be a problem using a separate purge solenoid for each of the nitrous pulsiods?

Is there any information drawings Photographs on the exact location of the injectors after the throttle bodies?

With the bottle heater controlled by the X2 controller, when the bottle becomes empty and pressure is down does the bottle heater keep heating the empty bottle trying to raise its pressure?

Any information on this particular installation would be welcome , I have managed to get a copy of The Nitrous Oxide High Performance Manual, which I have started to reed. and watched the Top Gear Video with a Nitrous kit fitted to a v12 jag but I think He V12 not pre He

I have located one Nitrous refill station about 50 mile away and they charge £8 + vat for the gas is this a normal price seams a lot to me!

When I start the installation I intend to take photographs and post details of the installation step by step

Thankyou
Peter

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous Jaguar V12 dax cobra
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm 
Learner

Hi Peter and Welcome,

That's a hell of a set up you intend and you really need Trev or one of the experienced Wizards to answer these.

To help there are a lot of Instructions/Manuals located -----> here that will almost certainly help you with some of your questions.

As for Refills there is a place at Harleston, Norfolk which is not too far from myself and they charge £9.50/lb inc VAT, anywhere from £7 - £12 is about right.

Apologies I cannot answer them all, best you have come to the right place :yes:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

peterv12cobra wrote:
Hi
I am Peter and live in Malvern UK
Hi Peter, fancy meeting you here. ;)

SB150i2/2 Nitrous kit with 11lb bottle 5mm Nylon lines with throttle switch
Max Extreme X2 Nitrous Controller with wire pack fuel transducer and Nitrous transducer
Nitrous Bottle Heater
Nitrous gauge for bottle
SPRV Port Adaptor
1/8 bsp to 5mm pipe F/M adaptor for Nitrous pressure transducer
length of stainless steel hard line to connect fuel pulsoids to injectors
2X V12 fuel deflectors
I may fit a purge kit, If I do I want two jet cloud outlets and to keep the amount of pipework down it may be neater to use two purge solenoids but obviously more expensive

Questions are

Is there any difference between the purge solenoids and Nitrous pulsoids other than the purge ones are black?
Yes the current Pulsoids (X-10s) have a number of technical advances and aesthetic improvements, over our earlier Pulsoids, that we now sell as purge solenoids.

If I run two 5mm Nylon feeds from the bottle Y connection in the boot to each of the nitrous pulsiods will I still get a max 300 BHP hit?
If you use a single 5mm nylon pipe you would be limited to something in the region of 100 to 125 hp (due to the cars length, as flow is affected by pipe length) but if you either doubled up the nylon pipe, as you mentioned (using a Y-Block), you would double that range. You could increase the power capability (by another 25 HP approx) and the duration of use between fills, if you used 2 bottles (as most of my Jag customers have done), but if you wanted the full 300 capability that the Pulsoids can deliver, you'd need to go for braided hose (with either 1 or 2 bottles, the result would be the same in this case) but there is a knock on effect of going that route.
Based on my previous results with my own and customers Jag V12's I doubt you will need 300 HP and even 100 to 125 'might be enough for you, so a single nylon pipe should be adequate. When you use nylon pipe, you do NOT need to purge the pipes but if you switch to braided hose, you would need to do so (for instant & optimum results) but as you seem to want a purge option, that won't be an issue for you.
You might like to consider the following; i) you could start off using a single nylon hose system (cheapest option), ii) if the max performance you get from that is inadequate, you could upgrade to either dual nylon pipes (and bottles if you wish) or braided hose.

At what BHP shot do you think I will need to fit a high performance fuel pump my system runs at 30psi
Pressure is not the main concern, volume of flow is what matters, as long as flowing pressure is maintained at a constant level. The condition and capability of OEM pumps vary with age/use and all I can say, is that they don't improve with age and as maintaining a constant fuel delivery is VITAL to engine reliability, personally I'd fit a new pump straight away. You may even see an improvement in your NA performance, if your pump has declined enough with age.

how are the jet sizes calculated when I order the kit, is it fuel Pressure hit size etc?
Yes the jet sizes are based on 'flowing' fuel pressure and target power increase, all of which was established many years ago.

would there be a problem using a separate purge solenoid for each of the nitrous pulsiods?
No that would be fine, as would using a single one.

Is there any information drawings Photographs on the exact location of the injectors after the throttle bodies?
I have some pictures somewhere (along with millions of others), so they would take some finding but it's very simple to describe and visualise, as they fit in the top of the spacers that fit between the throttle bodies and the manifolds, as close to the manifold side of the spacer as possible.
You might be able to find some pictures here, if you do a search for Jag but the last one we did, was a good few years go and the method we used for hosting the pics back then, seems to have resulted in the pics being deleted and at some time in the future, it'll be my job to find the originals and post them all again (and edit the entire forum into a more condensed form), which is going to take years I'm afraid, assuming I live long enough that is.

With the bottle heater controlled by the X2 controller, when the bottle becomes empty and pressure is down does the bottle heater keep heating the empty bottle trying to raise its pressure?
If it wasn't for the following factors, yes that would be the case but;
1) You will feel the power start to fade before the bottle runs out of liquid, so you will know the bottle is running out, without any gauges, etc.
2) If you have any concerns about the previous point, you could add the contents indicator feature to the Max and you'll be able to see, the remaining content at any time and you can have it activate an alarm when it gets low.

Any information on this particular installation would be welcome , I have managed to get a copy of The Nitrous Oxide High Performance Manual, which I have started to reed. and watched the Top Gear Video with a Nitrous kit fitted to a v12 jag but I think He V12 not pre He

I have located one Nitrous refill station about 50 mile away and they charge £8 + vat for the gas is this a normal price seams a lot to me!
There's no normal price really as there are a number of factors, that affect the price that are supplier dependent but £8 is a reasonable price, considering what the main supplier charge the trade (no trade discount given).

When I start the installation I intend to take photographs and post details of the installation step by step
That will be very welcome, as previous fittings are a few years old now, as I mentioned previously. :yes:

Thankyou
My pleasure.

Peter

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm 

Hi
Thanks for the answers to my questions
I have obtained a new high flow bosh 044 fuel pump which I will fit in due course perhaps with a speed controller to keep the flow rate down when the demand is low but switched to full power when Nitrous is armed
my next question
At what power level boost do you think I may have to retard the ignition if at all on this engine, I fitted a crane fireball XR700 upgrade ignition a few years ago which works a lot better than the old opus system but has no input to retard the timing, does a stand alone module exist to retard the timing when the Nitrous is armed. or is the timing retarded and just left on retarded all the time?
Also do you think I will have to use cooler spark plugs in this engine from your experience?
I am just trying to get a picture of the set up and what work I will have to do before I go ahead and order a system
Thanks Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

peterv12cobra wrote:
Hi
Thanks for the answers to my questions
I have obtained a new high flow bosh 044 fuel pump which I will fit in due course perhaps with a speed controller to keep the flow rate down when the demand is low but switched to full power when Nitrous is armed
my next question
Excellent.

At what power level boost do you think I may have to retard the ignition if at all on this engine,
On such a relatively low powered NA engine for its size and inherent strength, it's unlikely that you'll have to retard the timing at any power level the system can deliver. I've never needed to do so on Jags I've personally worked on and I don't know of any customers who have done so either.

I fitted a crane fireball XR700 upgrade ignition a few years ago which works a lot better than the old opus system but has no input to retard the timing, does a stand alone module exist to retard the timing when the Nitrous is armed. or is the timing retarded and just left on retarded all the time?
Most high powered US ignition systems work on the same basis and most offer a range of add on components (like a switched retard unit), so IF you did find you needed to retard the timing (which I very much doubt), I would expect there to be a suitable unit available.

Also do you think I will have to use cooler spark plugs in this engine from your experience?
It's very unlikely that you'll need to do that, for the same reasons you shouldn't need to retard the timing.
Both those issues apply to small capacity engines with high power to size ratios and/or big engines with high NA power, adding large nitrous power increases and finally, they apply to ALL cars using ANY US brand nitrous kit, because they deliver nitrous in a much less dense form to the induction system, than WON systems do. This makes the combustion process excessively hot and therefore makes the engine more prone to detonation. :idea:

I am just trying to get a picture of the set up and what work I will have to do before I go ahead and order a system
The fuel pump and probably some stickier tyres, should be the only additional mods you need. :yes:

Thanks Peter

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!