NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrous on a bug
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:42 pm 

Hi all , new to the forum and to nitrous been thinking on and off for a while about fitting a won system to my drag beetle
Got a bit click happy recently and now have a used won "kit" sitting in my workshop
Not a full kit but price was reasonable and I can add to it as necc, looks like quite an old kit and I plan to send the solenoids for servicing and as there's only 2 injectors will probably buy 4 new ones
What else should I be thinking about getting...I've seen the flat four kits with 2 pairs of solenoids but they are a bit out of my budget at the moment, may be I will upgrade at a later date....will I need to use another fuel regulator? Will one of the max controllers be advisable

The car is approx 200hp at the wheels, race only and usually runs low 12s and has dipped into the high 11 a couple of times, I'm hopping to run mid to low 11s with nitrous
Some pics of what I have
Any advice gratefully received

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous on a bug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 am 
Wizard

Phil N wrote:
Hi all , new to the forum and to nitrous been thinking on and off for a while about fitting a won system to my drag beetle
Welcome to the forum! Your project sounds super fun and there are a few threads with bugs floating around here.

Got a bit click happy recently and now have a used won "kit" sitting in my workshop
You'll be happier after the activating the nitrous for the first time on that bug!

Not a full kit but price was reasonable and I can add to it as necc, looks like quite an old kit and I plan to send the solenoids for servicing and as there's only 2 injectors will probably buy 4 new ones
Wise choice to send them in for a refresh, but there isn't any need to buy 4 new ones, only two if you're going direct port. That is if the previous gen injectors aren't out of stock yet. Do you have any pics of the setup?Do you have 2 carbs feeding each bank as normal?

What else should I be thinking about getting...I've seen the flat four kits with 2 pairs of solenoids but they are a bit out of my budget at the moment, may be I will upgrade at a later date....
That will limit your power potential because of the lengths of the pipework necessary to feed each bank with only one pair of Pulsoids. You may get away with it if you add a Max Extreme controller and use the nitrous delay function.
will I need to use another fuel regulator?
No, as long as your fuel system is up to the extra power then you should only need to tap from your existing fuel reg.

Will one of the max controllers be advisable
Oh yes, especially for a drag bug! I'd most certainly recommend a Max Extreme as a #1 choice, Maximiser for #2, and lastly a Minimax if you absolutely have to penny pinch yet still get some sort of progressive control for hard launches.

The car is approx 200hp at the wheels, race only and usually runs low 12s and has dipped into the high 11 a couple of times, I'm hopping to run mid to low 11s with nitrous
Easily done with a modest increase as the power will be there throughout ALL rpm, especially where the engine lags in N/A form.
Some pics of what I have
Any advice gratefully received

Advice gracefully given.

Regards,
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:10 pm 

Thanks for the info, i'm certain I'll be asking lots more questions.
Heres a pic of my set up...holley pump and reg

Engine in bits atm for a freshen up before the season starts

For a controller i think I'd be looking for progressive launch and safety features if i miss a gear at the minimum not sure if the minimax covers both of these these ??

From what I've read if i add 25 to 50 hp i won't need to retard timing...is this correct?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm 
Wizard

Phil N wrote:
Thanks for the info, i'm certain I'll be asking lots more questions.
Heres a pic of my set up...holley pump and reg

It appears that you will need 4 injectors, one just below each carb. They are also quite spaced apart, therefore it's HIGHLY recommended to get 2 more Pulsoids because the pipework would be too long to extend over such distance at higher increases beyond 70 bhp due to the nitrous outrunning the fuel and resulting in a momentary lean condition on the hit. However, you can use the Max Extreme or Maximiser to delay the nitrous on the initial hit, but it's not the ideal setup.

A single pair of Pulsoids Y'd from the centerline in between the two banks then further Y'd to each cylinder should work for your 50 bhp goal.

By using 4 Pulsoids, the pipework will be much shorter resulting in a much more immediate nitrous response, the progressive power increase will be more accurate (when using a controller), and the max nitrous increase is also raised considerably.

Engine in bits atm for a freshen up before the season starts

For a controller i think I'd be looking for progressive launch and safety features if i miss a gear at the minimum not sure if the minimax covers both of these these ??
The Minimax is the most basic controller and does not have those features. However, the Max Extreme has a window switch feature for such a situation, as well as many other features that will protect your investment.

From what I've read if i add 25 to 50 hp i won't need to retard timing...is this correct?
You should be ok for 25 bhp or so as small nitrous doses increases the detonation threshold somewhat, but I'd back off a bit of timing before going up, then readvance in small increments unless you're using the progressive. I don't know the specifics of your engine or its temperaments, so I can only advise caution with setting of the timing.

Thanks again
:yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:51 am 

Thanks...going to stick with 1 pair of solenoids for now and get used to the system then if/when i want to go over 50hp I'll upgrade
Solenoids are on there way to WON for servicing and Max Extreme is on the shopping list

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am 
Wizard

:yes: