Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: variable inlet manifold
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 pm 
Wizard

hi all
interesting dilemma with my new project...just purchased a focus st 170
ford has given them a two stage fancy inlet manifold ( IMRC ) flaps partially closed till 5000 rpm then fully open
not ideal for a simple nitrous install..been chatting with lewis at won HQ he will research a bit for me when he has time
i dont know if this is practical and i haven't looked in the won shop...but would a controller that only allowed activation of nitrous
at 5000 revs do the trick or would that take the fun out of low down stuff :D
i need a rev window switch dont i ;)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: variable inlet manifold
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm 
Learner

I would think that the way to go wold be with one of the progressive controllers, so you get some spray in the lower RPM's and then set your parameters to open up the nozzles when you are are WOT. Have you thought about tapping into the throttle body? It looks like you could even fit a throttle body spacer in there. Are you going off a button, throttle switch, or a TPS unit?

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 pm 
Wizard

hi
what you describe is the straight forward way of activation...my R53 for instance has a mini max and simple switch on the throttle pedal
works perfectly.
The problem with the ford is once you jet the x10s for a lets say simple 25 bhp
the jetting will get altered by the inlet manifold changing the air ratio at lower revs and then at 5000 rpm
Lewis is worried about the lean ratio that will follow :tard:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 pm 
Learner

Have you thought about something like this? Throttle body from a Zr-X10. Maybe that's overkill... 8)

Attachments:
thrttle body.JPG
thrttle body.JPG [ 135.9 KiB | Viewed 27426 times ]

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 pm 
Learner

still, I wonder why this would not work for you. It is a spacer that goes behind the throttle body and the butterfly valve. I am obviously missing something...as far as I know ...all throttle bodies behave similar to yours. On my Jag, you can feel the pedal actually goes down a few more inches after I get to a certain speed and RPM (i think its something like 140 or 150 MPH...then the pedal drops and the throtle body opens fully. If you have a controller that is hooked up to a wideband o2 sensor so you stay in a good lambda range, and a fuel transducer and nitrous transducer to keep an eye on the spray and fuel. that should get give you as good a insurance as you can get against going lean. are you doing a dry spray or wet?

Attachments:
throttle body spacer.jpg
throttle body spacer.jpg [ 177.26 KiB | Viewed 27424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 am 
Wizard

Teddy, complex inlet manifolds increase the likelihood of problems with fuel dropout. Your BEST bet is the switch to direct port. This avoids the complex plumbing of the system. Adding a progressive controller is more of a patch job because you'll still be limited in terms of power achievable. Best to upgrade to the DP upgrade kit that include only what is required for direct port without much expense.

You'll also notice a faster response in nitrous power whereas a sloppy intake system can greatly delay the response time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am 
Wizard

ok first of all i dont need a throttle body spacer i can drill a hole in the air intake pipe, ITB plus stand alone ecu is overkill price wise ,cost more than the car :shock:
direct port is not altering anything the manifold still opens and closes before the nitrous and fuel have been injected
but thanks everyone ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm 
Learner

Hey dude...I'm sure that Lewis will figure out a solution for you. good luck. post some pics of the install when you get around to it. cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm 
Wizard

hi
funny enough Lewis emailed me back with my controller idea he agreed the max extreme would do it, but to be honest i cant justify spending that much just for one function...i only wanted a little extra on the focus :)
i mentioned the MSD Ignition RPM Activated Window Switch PN: 8956 to him also so see if he thinks its an alternative , only $136 to you lot :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:54 pm 
Learner

It's the way to go if you want a safe experience, although I would say a 25hp shot wouldn't really have chance at causing much damage even at low speeds unless you just held the button for a prolonged time. That is where the controller will step in and save you from yourself!

I have had A Focus sT roll up on me on the freeway. I didn't think much of him at first, until I tried to pull away and the little fucker started pulling ahead. I had to mash the pedal before I began reeling him back in to take him for a walk. If I was stock, he would of easily left me slack jawed. I'm sure that little fucker was juiced, cause I didn't hear the sound of a turbo or supercharger spooling up and those cars are so light that a little goes a long way

I started out with just the SB150i kit and as I began building it out, realized that the controller was essential. You can get by with a push button activated street fighter style system, ala FastnFurious and you will probably be safe with a small shot up to like what you are talking about, so if I were you and I was serious about starting my build, then I would go for the kit first and install it with the 25 hp jet and play with it for a few months until you can raise the scratch for the controller and then add on after that. Believe me...you will want more!

A friend of mine let me drive his classic barracuda, which is extensively modified and when the nitrous hits, it transforms the experience of driving fast! The instant-on power is sooooo addictive that I knew I had to have it. I am installing my first kit ever and can't wait to finally get it done. My install is a direct port, so it is much more involved and will yield alot more power since it is also going into a supercharged engine. Still, I wish that I had gone with a single injector at first just to get a nice feel for it.

Another benefit of having the controller is that you can take it from one car to another. You mentioned you also rolled in a Cooper right? Well, you could do a set up on it as well and use the controller to drive both systems. Must be nice having two rides to play with :yes:

You should post a pic of your engine bay. I have seen two configurations of the same Duratec engine, one has the intake near the front bumper, the other has the intake in the rearof the engine bay. which one do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 pm 
Wizard

Dont take this the wrong way but been using nitrous for 10 years so been there done that :D

Anyway good news having dusted down trevs book my car is mentioned on page 63
and direct port will do the trick......so quick email to Lewis and he confirmed having researched a little more
himself that all will be well ;)
i take it all back about my 25 gentle install (what was i thinking) my E46 used to run with the jet removed for more nitrous flow ( trevs recommendation) when i wanted more that 100 :beatstick:
my mx5 ran 75 jets miss that car so much :?
the mini is on 75 supercharger loves it
all these cars used the minimax controller by the way simple but faultless :yes:

Last edited by teddybare on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm 
Wizard

the st 170 has a duratec label on the rocker cover but its a zetec with fancy cosworth designed exhaust header (in the front) and higher CR amongst other things

forgot to say if you want to see my past builds there all here on this site :blackeye:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 am 
Learner

Right On!!

Take a look at my build if you ever have the chance. I am posting a pretty detailed install description.

So any advice for a nitrous cherry like myself?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am 
Wizard

looked at your build when you first started, very meticulous 8)
Trevor and turbobox for advice would be my advice :D