NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Goyle's nitrous install
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:58 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
LOL I know what a torch is in Brit terms... but yes we call it a 'flashlight' except it doesn't actually FLASH... :albino:

I tend to find Brits are quite up on American words due i guess to having tons of American shows and films on our T.V's...

but ive found sometimes American's are baffled by our terms lol, like Boot instead of trunk etc :D

anyway... I had a look at my nitrous heater switch today, turned the bottle on... no leak :shock:

ok i thought, its only at 500 psi due to the cold weather... i will turn the heater on get some pressure up, so heated it up too 1000 psi... no leak

prodded and wiggled everything no sign what so ever of any nitrous leaking out at all.

now thats baffled me :omgrofl:

my new switch should be on its way soon anyway, so i have just bought the first piece of my second nitrous bottle ;)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:32 pm 
Wizard

In any case, you should keep an eye on it just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:31 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
In any case, you should keep an eye on it just in case.

yes indeed...

I would of rather found something loose or failed for piece of mind's sake...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 am 
Learner

I had a visit from an old petrol head buddy who i havent seen for a couple of years, although we do keep in touch on facebook.

Anyway he was very intrigued with my WON nitrous on my car, and was asking all kinds of questions about it, so naturally i offered to take him for a spin.

it took about 10 minutes in this 9 degrees weather to get the bottle up to temperature, which also gives a chance to get the engine warmed up ready for spraying...

after a few demos in various gears i looked across at my passenger who I couldnt help noticing had the WON smile on his face :D

he seemed quite impressed :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:33 pm 
Wizard

:yes:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:14 pm 
Learner

Just been reading your entire story from purchase, invaluble to read about your experiences, its funny, from reading all the manuals everything looks pretty simple and it is really, but there is still so much potential for things to go wrong because you are doing everything for the first time, especially the connections on the pipework, ive done loads of copper plumbing so know how much torque to apply, the small plastic pipe involved with nos tho would probably require a deaft feel with too little or too much torque easily applied, experience counts for evrything and no doubt a second install would be much more of a breeze for you.

I reckon you need to be particularly patient and thorough whilst doing this stuff, your story has really made me want to go for it but will wait till the spring weather as I have no garage and my cars off the road for the winter anyway :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 pm 
Wizard

It was certainly a bit bumpy in the beginning, but I doubt Dave would ever regret going the WoN route. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:32 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
It was certainly a bit bumpy in the beginning, but I doubt Dave would ever regret going the WoN route. :yes:

For me splicing into the fuel pipe was deffo the hardest part, as it wasnt as straight forward as i thought it would be... well, basically i couldnt splice into the standard pipe, and it needed a rethink basically.

The problem was I didnt research properly, and once i had cut the pipe and found out the standard pipe wasnt suitable to be spliced, it left me high n dry... literally!! and without my car, panic set in as well :lol:

But in the end the solution was fairly straight forward, you just need to replace the standard fuel pipe (under the bonnet) with a length of pipe that can be spliced into... just good old standard rubber high pressure fuel hose available from any good car accessory shop for a few pounds.

The guys on here were a god send thinking up different solutions to my problem, I cant thank them enough, also my friendly local guy Pete who sells me my nitrous has been a god send as well...

As for my Nitrous line blowing off after 1 day, Im convinced that was an error on my behalf, I didnt have the olive pushed far enough down the pipe before crimping it. Once the olive was fitted correctly, 7 months down the line and its never blown off again.

Look at it this way... As far as I know, im the first person in the country to fit Nitrous onto this particular vehicle, so I have found the problems that may occur, and also the solutions for other people to benefit from.

When you feel the hit of the nitrous for the first time, and you are grinning ear to ear, any snags along the way are quickly forgotten :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:41 pm 
Wizard

Dave, there is a solution to the previous problem you encountered with the hard plastic pipe: the compression tee. It works in the same way as the pipework for the nitrous system with the compression olives and nuts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10