NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Geez, what an adventure: Went to Refill My JUNK US Bottles
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:18 pm 
Wizard

I discovered that I ran out of my 20 lb supply of nitrous since my fill up last year and I'm happy that I was able to last until now, but I felt like I could have gone far longer on my second bottle. Now, the bottles that I'm using are JUNK U.S. bottles (and budget ones at that), anyway I called up my local refiller to see if they have 20 lbs of nitrous so that I can fill up. Well, the place nearish to me was out of nitrous and that they were waiting on the next delivery (Pep Boys U.S. auto parts retailer that sells Holley NOS), so I called up the other one I know of that's 45 minutes away and they had plenty for me to feast on. HOWEVER, their air pump broke and required me to chill my bottles so that I could fill up without the pump, and this meant that I had to fill up a plastic bin and fill it with ice and water in order to keep the bottles cool, which is EXTREMELY hard to do in 33*C/92*F heat! Luckily, I made it there and it was off to get filled.

I stood there listening to the sounds of high pressure spitting of the gas and I was feeling pretty good about getting back on the lovely nectar with the new mods to the Sonic, except the gentleman doing the filling advised me that BOTH OF MY BOTTLES WERE LEAKING... WTF!? :shock: He claimed that one of the bottle valves leaked at the top and the other from the side, so I asked him if I could investigate with some nitrous pressure applied. He agreed and then we both went to the mother bottle where he hooked up the lines and applied pressure. The first bottle did not leak at the top of the valve but at the large adapter nut and it was quickly remedied with some extra torque applied with a large spanner. However the next bottle had a micro leak by the gauge port (also remedied with torque), but I suspect that this micro leak is the reason my my second bottle didn't last as long... BECAUSE IT WAS SLOWLY LEAKING OUT INTO THE AIR OVER TIME!! :tard: Secondly after filling that bottle, the main valve continued to seep nitrous and it was enough to be audible, and in order to rectify that, I had to apply a good amount of hand strength to make sure that it sealed correctly!

Needless to say that if it happens again, I'll be upgrading to WON bottle valves!

So be careful what you pay for: it may be cheap in the short term, but it can cost you big $$$, time, and frustration in the long run! :pukeleft:

P.S.

The gentleman doing the filling has an Induction Solutions kit, he was praising it a lot and I really wanted to vomit because of it but I didn't want to insult the man who was kind enough to fill up my bottles with the lovely nectar.

P.S.S.

He also told me that they are going to stop selling nitrous at that location due to low demand. Well of course no one will buy nitrous, you (the retailer not the guy himself) force the customer to chill the bottles (in BLAZING heat no less), run out of the stuff too often, are not knowledgeable enough to handle such an easy task, then have the gall to not offer it anymore... OF COURSE PEOPLE WOULD STOP BUYING IT! :rolleyes:

I will also be getting my own mother bottle AND refilling other customers with ease!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Geez, what an adventure: Went to Refill My JUNK US Bottl
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:32 am 
Learner

I ve just heard on the radio that the government are banning the sale of Nitrous oxide, due to the craze at the moment of people inhaling it from out of balloons...

im unsure if that is going to include buying Nitrous oxide for automotive use :scratch:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:54 am 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
I ve just heard on the radio that the government are banning the sale of Nitrous oxide, due to the craze at the moment of people inhaling it from out of balloons...

im unsure if that is going to include buying Nitrous oxide for automotive use :scratch:

LOL nothing we ALL haven't heard from one time or another regardless of whatever substance people use to get high... they might as well ban alcohol as well since that kills more people per year than anything else.

Besides, we use industrial nitrous oxide that has a mix of sulfur in it to discourage its abuse.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:

That's an old story and not a concern.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:32 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Goyle wrote:

That's an old story and not a concern.

Phew thank god for that :yes:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
I stood there listening to the sounds of high pressure spitting of the gas and I was feeling pretty good about getting back on the lovely nectar with the new mods to the Sonic, except the gentleman doing the filling advised me that BOTH OF MY BOTTLES WERE LEAKING... WTF!?
Super cooling bottles can cause valves to leak, which is why we don't recommend it but US valves are generally poor quality, just as all their nitrous parts are.

I had to apply a good amount of hand strength to make sure that it sealed correctly!
This is why I try to use O rings for sealing whenever I can, as they'll seal without a great deal of force.

Needless to say that if it happens again, I'll be upgrading to WON bottle valves!
Wise move and hopefully that will be before they seize up, as that's also a common problem.

So be careful what you pay for: it may be cheap in the short term, but it can cost you big $$$, time, and frustration in the long run! :pukeleft:
Wise advice.

P.S.

The gentleman doing the filling has an Induction Solutions kit, he was praising it a lot and I really wanted to vomit because of it but I didn't want to insult the man who was kind enough to fill up my bottles with the lovely nectar.
That was a missed opportunity to save him and his customers from further failures and all you needed to do was 'educate' him in the polite manner than I find too hard to do. ;-)

P.S.S.

He also told me that they are going to stop selling nitrous at that location due to low demand. Well of course no one will buy nitrous, you (the retailer not the guy himself) force the customer to chill the bottles (in BLAZING heat no less), run out of the stuff too often, are not knowledgeable enough to handle such an easy task, then have the gall to not offer it anymore... OF COURSE PEOPLE WOULD STOP BUYING IT! :rolleyes:
It would also help if they sold products that didn't destroy their engines and gave them power and control that gave them performance levels that could beat turbo's and blowers. :yes:

I will also be getting my own mother bottle AND refilling other customers with ease!
You'll have them coming from all over the US once they hear how much better your products and services are.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:07 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Super cooling bottles can cause valves to leak, which is why we don't recommend it but US valves are generally poor quality, just as all their nitrous parts are.
Amen to that.

This is why I try to use O rings for sealing whenever I can, as they'll seal without a great deal of force.
I'm glad you did use O-rings as metal to metal sealing methods often leak and I have PLENTY of experience with those things when I worked on aeroplanes.

Wise move and hopefully that will be before they seize up, as that's also a common problem.
I will most likely replace them prior to the next fills as they've cost me a great deal of time, frustration, and MONEY!

That was a missed opportunity to save him and his customers from further failures and all you needed to do was 'educate' him in the polite manner than I find too hard to do. ;-)
A missed opportunity... no ... merely a postponed one. I really wanted to talk more in depth with him about nitrous after all was said and done, except I was pressed for time in order to help my mum get back on her feet. BTW she got an accounting job lined up for her already 8)

It would also help if they sold products that didn't destroy their engines and gave them power and control that gave them performance levels that could beat turbo's and blowers. :yes:
They're mistakes will be my opportunities to do so!

You'll have them coming from all over the US once they hear how much better your products and services are.
Anyone willing to take the dive into the REAL world on NOS Wizardry will be welcomed with open arms! :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Can't argue with any of that and GREAT news about your Mum. You both have my best wishes for a happy and prosperous future.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)