NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: About to buy a WON kit... but!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:49 am 
Learner

Ok.. so after various discussions on here I have been assured that a WON kit will not blow up my engine, and im about to order a kit for my car... but!

im a little worried about spark plugs.

As standard my car (year 2009 Fiesta 1.6) is fitted with spark plugs that i cant seem to find a cooler plug for, maybe you guys can help?

The std plugs are Bosch HR8MCV or the NGK equivalent is TR5-B13 I am currently running Nippon Denso ITV-16 iridium.

heres a picture I took of the std Bosch plug compared with the Nippon Denso Iridium plug.

could any of you kind folk point me in the direction of a cooler plug, which i understand is essential for nitrous use before i buy a WON kit.

also im gonna have a crack at fitting the kit my self... theres no where local to me who fits them, and its a hassle leaving your car with someone having to arrange lifts etc etc.

thanks in advance :salute:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: About to buy a WON kit... but!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:34 pm 
Wizard

Gimme a bit of time to research for you

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:55 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
Gimme a bit of time to research for you

thanks your a gent :yes:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 pm 
Wizard

The unusual (now becoming more popular) reach of the plugs really do narrow choices down but I did find an NGK solution: LTR6IX part no. 6509

These plugs are 1 step harder than stock. The projected fine-wire iridium tip could cause issues on larger shots than 50, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tested these on nitrous yet. I do have a set in my possession that i want to try Trev's mod on to see if it could work on nitrous as well as a standard nitrous plug.

But you'll be just fine with up to 50 with these plugs.

Attachment:
NGK6510p.jpg
NGK6510p.jpg [ 40.97 KiB | Viewed 19056 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:39 pm 
Wizard

Ack, I don't have a pair of those plugs like I thought, I have some that are similar but standard core. If I do come across some, I'll do some testing on those some time in the future.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:25 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
The unusual (now becoming more popular) reach of the plugs really do narrow choices down but I did find an NGK solution: LTR6IX part no. 6509

These plugs are 1 step harder than stock. The projected fine-wire iridium tip could cause issues on larger shots than 50, but I can't say for sure as I haven't tested these on nitrous yet. I do have a set in my possession that i want to try Trev's mod on to see if it could work on nitrous as well as a standard nitrous plug.

But you'll be just fine with up to 50 with these plugs.

Attachment:
NGK6510p.jpg

Thanks for your help it is most appreciated :yes:

I think i have found a set on Ebay... they are listed as LTR6IX-11 though, would that be the same?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-NGK-LTR6IX ... SwL7VWqPCt

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:15 pm 
Wizard

The -11 is just a code for the pregap.

I should caution you that there are KNOCK OFF NGK plugs out there and especially from ebay so I would source a reputable NGK retailer for your purchase.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:37 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
The -11 is just a code for the pregap.

I should caution you that there are KNOCK OFF NGK plugs out there and especially from ebay so I would source a reputable NGK retailer for your purchase.

Thanks again for your help :bow:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:59 pm 
Learner

I do believe ive located a colder denso iridium too.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-Iridium ... SwwE5WXG1j

its a shame locating a colder copper core spark plug isnt throwing up anything :evil:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:24 pm 
Wizard

I haven't any experience with Denso, I only use NGK primarily. Either way, you'd still be fine with even a fixed 50 on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:21 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
I haven't any experience with Denso, I only use NGK primarily. Either way, you'd still be fine with even a fixed 50 on them.

Ive ordered the Denso itv20 plugs, ive used both ngk and Denso before in the past as well as Bosch and Champion.

Ive had Denso iridium plugs in my current car for the past 10 months and i am pretty impressed with them.

Ok i have the money for a wizards of nos kit... can anyone point me in the direction of a kit?

Trevor ( if you are there)i dont mind driving up to your place to buy it off you and have it professionally fitted if you think you can do it in a day?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:30 am 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
Turbobox wrote:

Ive ordered the Denso itv20 plugs, ive used both ngk and Denso before in the past as well as Bosch and Champion.

Ive had Denso iridium plugs in my current car for the past 10 months and i am pretty impressed with them.

Ok i have the money for a wizards of nos kit... can anyone point me in the direction of a kit?

is this the correct engine? (See photo) If so, it might require a direct port system because of the mainfold design. The low throttle body position and plenum location relative to the valves could result in fuel dropout and we dont want that. We will see what trev says about it.

Also, I'd consider a larger cylinder to hold a good amount of nitrous so that refills will be few and far between since I know it would put you out to go out of the way for a fill up.

Trevor ( if you are there)i dont mind driving up to your place to buy it off you and have it professionally fitted if you think you can do it in a day?

he does offer installation services and I'm sure he can accommodate your needs to get it done for you same day. I will email him to make sure he knows of your request.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:16 pm 
Learner

yes that looks very much like my engine.

Heres a photo of my exact engine...

and the car 2009 Ford mk7 Fiesta zetec s...

I have replaced the exhaust system with a full Milltek system including replacing the restrictive exhaust manifold with cat built in with this:

I now have a 200 cell sport cat mounted where the middle silencer used to be.

Trevor did say some time ago the exhaust system will help the nitrous work better.

This is the reason why i would prefer a professional install, I very nearly bought a brand new WON kit off e-bay last night, imagine the calamity if i had attempted to fit it my self and it wasnt even the correct one for my car :cry:

I have been thinking about the refill problem, and was thinking along the lines of having a spare bottle, so when i empty one, i can fit the other then i have some time to get a refill... probably the better idea will be to eventually have a big bottle stored in my shed so i can do my own refills.

but i wanted to have a little time to get used to nitrous first... powerwise im thinking initially a fixed 25 shot untill i get used to nitrous, then add a controller and go for a 50 shot.

im sure the car will cope with a 50 shot, i have fitted bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and the chassis is very competent, when the car was released motoring pundits commented the chassis is very good and feels like the car needs more power!

of course i will wait and see what Trevors opinion is on my ideas.... and of course if my engine is suitable for nitrous... I hope the plastic inlet manifold isnt going to pose a problem too ?

Phew!!! so glad I didnt hit buy now on e-bay last night and waited for some expert advise... :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

I seem to have somehow missed all this thread, don't know why it's not informing me of your posts but better late than never.

OK dealing with the plugs first the rules are these;

1) DON'T WASTE your money on fancy plugs, it's all sales HYPE.
2) NEVER use any brand other than NGK and no they don't sponsor me and I don't stock any brand of plug, although they did used to sponsor a race event that I ran some years ago.
3) STOCK copper core plugs are more than adequate.
4) Unless you intend to use the nitrous for more than a hundred yard or so bursts most STOCK plugs should be OK up to 75 HP of nitrous. We normally give a figure of 50 HP because most customers tend to do some kind of 1/4 mile racing and we like a bit of safety margin
5) If you can't get a harder grade plug in the cheap stock type, just cut back the ground/earth strap a few mm but make sure you do it as per the instructions in my book.

We INITIALLY supply ALL our under 3,000 cc customers with 25 HP jets and increase from there as required. With regards to this particular vehicle engine/manifold arrangement, we've had MANY customers with this type of vehicle and 50 HP has been enough to satisfy even the most mental of street racers, plus pushing it to 75 gets it a bit close to the limit of the pistons, so 50 keeps everyone happy and there's no need to modify ANY parts. Anything above 50 would require a DP system (due to the upturn in the manifold from the TB to the inlet valves), so again running with 50 keeps the system cost lower and fitting easier. Adding a progressive makes it easier on your engine and safer in general, as well as elevating the amount of power you can safely add and put to good use.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:
I now have a 200 cell sport cat mounted where the middle silencer used to be. Trevor did say some time ago the exhaust system will help the nitrous work better.
Yes that will be much better than the stock set up.

This is the reason why i would prefer a professional install, I very nearly bought a brand new WON kit off e-bay last night, imagine the calamity if i had attempted to fit it my self and it wasnt even the correct one for my car :cry:
We or one of our agents can do the fit for you and if we do it we'd not only provide the correct system but we'd also 'TAILOR' it to your requirements and 'TAILOR' the fitting as well.

I have been thinking about the refill problem, and was thinking along the lines of having a spare bottle, so when i empty one, i can fit the other then i have some time to get a refill... probably the better idea will be to eventually have a big bottle stored in my shed so i can do my own refills.
Good plan

but i wanted to have a little time to get used to nitrous first... powerwise im thinking initially a fixed 25 shot untill i get used to nitrous, then add a controller and go for a 50 shot.
Wise man and just the way we like it.

im sure the car will cope with a 50 shot, i have fitted bigger brakes, stiffer suspension and the chassis is very competent, when the car was released motoring pundits commented the chassis is very good and feels like the car needs more power!
No doubt about that.

of course i will wait and see what Trevors opinion is on my ideas.... and of course if my engine is suitable for nitrous... I hope the plastic inlet manifold isnt going to pose a problem too ?
Plastic manifolds are only a problem with AMERICAN brand kits!!!!
That's yet ANOTHER CON they've pulled;
First of all they BLAME 'NITROUS ITSELF' for the NUMEROUS engine failures to avoid LIABILITY CLAIMS, which for some DUMB reason most American's believe, when in fact THE TRUTH IS that the engine failures are SOLELY DUE TO THEIR JUNK PRODUCTS!!!!
I'll skip ALL the other LIES for now and get down to the plastic manifold LIE, which again the US companies have managed to blame 'NITROUS ITSELF' for, claiming that they can't handle the drop in temps and crack as a result, when THE TRUTH IS that the ONLY causes are these and BOTH are ONLY CAUSED by the US companies TERRIBLE choice of components;
1) The TAPER THREAD they all use on their nozzles is UNSUITABLE for fitting to plastic manifolds, because as they are screwed into the manifold, they apply a strong force to open up the hole/thread and CRACK the the plastic. This isn't obvious at first but add vibration and temperature changes to the equation and it soon becomes blatantly apparent but by then the ACTUAL CAUSE is overlooked.
2) Induction system backfires; these are SOLELY caused by unsuitable supply pipe choices made by ALL US nitrous companies, resulting in the nitrous reaching the engine LONG BEFORE THE FUEL. This causes the engine to run extremely lean which causes a backfire through the induction system. Most backfires are pretty small and alloy manifolds can handle them OK but add the force of even a small backfire to an already cracked plastic manifold (due to the taper thread used for the nozzles) and you can kiss your manifold goodbye.

In STARK CONTRAST my products are DESIGNED to avoid ALL such issues;
1) Our Crossfires have a parallel thread, specifically to avoid such problems
2) Our pipe choice means that the fuel reaches the engine much sooner than when using a US kit, plus the nitrous is slowed down (relatively) and as a consequence there is NO risk of a backfire.

Phew!!! so glad I didnt hit buy now on e-bay last night and waited for some expert advise... :shock:
One of the things I'll never understand about some people, is why they are happy to spend A SMALL FORTUNE on building the best engine they can afford (and even brag about it) but then fit the cheapest nitrous kit they can find (which is usually a US brand kit), putting ALL their hard earned cash at a HUGE RISK of being blown to bits!!!!!
THE ABOVE IS NOT AIMED AT YOU (as you were at least looking at an unused WON system), your statement just reminded me of the idiots that take it to the extreme. I've even seen multi-thousand ££££ engines fitted with OLD USED US brand kits and then the owners blamed nitrous, when their pride and joy needed a complete rebuild after their first squirt of the gas.
:scratch: :scratch: :beatstick: :beatstick: :loser: :loser:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
I seem to have somehow missed all this thread, don't know why it's not informing me of your posts but better late than never.

OK dealing with the plugs first the rules are these;

1) DON'T WASTE your money on fancy plugs, it's all sales HYPE.
2) NEVER use any brand other than NGK and no they don't sponsor me and I don't stock any brand of plug, although they did used to sponsor a race event that I ran some years ago.
3) STOCK copper core plugs are more than adequate.
4) Unless you intend to use the nitrous for more than a hundred yard or so bursts most STOCK plugs should be OK up to 75 HP of nitrous. We normally give a figure of 50 HP because most customers tend to do some kind of 1/4 mile racing and we like a bit of safety margin
5) If you can't get a harder grade plug in the cheap stock type, just cut back the ground/earth strap a few mm but make sure you do it as per the instructions in my book.

We INITIALLY supply ALL our under 3,000 cc customers with 25 HP jets and increase from there as required. With regards to this particular vehicle engine/manifold arrangement, we've had MANY customers with this type of vehicle and 50 HP has been enough to satisfy even the most mental of street racers, plus pushing it to 75 gets it a bit close to the limit of the pistons, so 50 keeps everyone happy and there's no need to modify ANY parts. Anything above 50 would require a DP system (due to the upturn in the manifold from the TB to the inlet valves), so again running with 50 keeps the system cost lower and fitting easier. Adding a progressive makes it easier on your engine and safer in general, as well as elevating the amount of power you can safely add and put to good use.

Yea there was an issue trying to find a STANDARD core plug that had the 25mm reach AND was at least 1 grade harder. The only one I could find that was the same heat range as stock and an extended tip which brings along a really LONG earth strap that would need a good cut. That is why I suggested the other plug although it was an iridium tip, it is a harder grade but all harder grades come only in iridium or platinum tips :scratch: .

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

There's no problem with using 'fancy' plugs if there's no other alternative.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:59 pm 
Learner

Ha ha why does everyone always associate ebay with dodgyness and counterfeit goods :P

The won kit i nearly bought was brand new from power house in sheffield, who are a won agent...

I wouldnt buy a 2nd hand nos kit however cheap and deffo not from someone without very good credentials.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
Ha ha why does everyone always associate ebay with dodgyness and counterfeit goods :P

LOL it's simply because eBay is a bazaar of mostly scam artists. I haven't been scammed myself but there are REALLY good videos on YouTube about eBay scammers and cheapo knock-off parts.

The won kit i nearly bought was brand new from power house in sheffield, who are a won agent...

I wouldnt buy a 2nd hand nos kit however cheap and deffo not from someone without very good credentials.

It all depends on its condition and whether it can be serviced up to 'like new' status.

BTW... Do you have a smartphone with video recording or a small camera? I'd like to get some videos / photos of your car before the install and after the install; especially, the first hit on the lovely nectar. I want to start making a database of videos of WON customers and their first reactions to that first nitrous experience as well as a brief overview of his or her vehicle. Would you be interested?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:

Which is why I made my statement that the comment I made in response to that was NOT aimed at you in BOLD. ;)

It just reminded me of what 'OTHERS' have done.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
BTW... Do you have a smartphone with video recording or a small camera? I'd like to get some videos / photos of your car before the install and after the install; especially, the first hit on the lovely nectar. I want to start making a database of videos of WON customers and their first reactions to that first nitrous experience as well as a brief overview of his or her vehicle. Would you be interested?

For your interest Alex, I've been having one of my team gather all our pics and videos (from our YouTube channel, Facebook, Forum, etc.) and add them to our Website picture and video pages, so you might like to check for updates.

http://www.noswizard.com/gallery

http://www.noswizard.com/video-gallery

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:15 am 
Wizard

Already in the database :yes:

I'm looking into finding another flavor of videos with people's first experiences using nitrous, especially that first ear-to-ear grin :D

If I can 'grasp' the positive experience of being a new nitrous user, then perhaps others may be more willing to dip their toes into the WON world. :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:11 am 
Learner

You must have read my mind turbo box...

i was thinking of doing a little video so everyone
Can put a face to my forum name, it might only be
A low budget affair though, i dont have anything fancy to film it on and im not much use at editing... might rope my son into helping

;)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:40 am 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
You must have read my mind turbo box...

i was thinking of doing a little video so everyone
Can put a face to my forum name, it might only be
A low budget affair though, i dont have anything fancy to film it on and im not much use at editing... might rope my son into helping

;)

Much appreciate! LOL low budget or not, your first go with the lovely nectar will be priceless. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:44 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
With regards to this particular vehicle engine/manifold arrangement, we've had MANY customers with this type of vehicle and 50 HP has been enough to satisfy even the most mental of street racers, plus pushing it to 75 gets it a bit close to the limit of the pistons, so 50 keeps everyone happy and there's no need to modify ANY parts. Anything above 50 would require a DP system (due to the upturn in the manifold from the TB to the inlet valves), so again running with 50 keeps the system cost lower and fitting easier.

so just to clarify... as im a little confused :scratch:

would this be the nitrous kit I need for my particular engine... http://www.noswizard.com/car-nitrous-ki ... -body.html

and the nitrous/fuel nozzle would be mounted into the blue pipe in between the air filter and throttle body butterfly ?