NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Minimax wiring for 4 pulsoids with ssr
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:11 pm 

I have tried using 4 pulsoids (2xfuel 2xnos) on a minimax controller wired as below but they don't seem to be firing and on further investigation the minimax is only designed to fire 2, I know I need to add a ssr to the system but I'm no electrician! Do I need an ssr for each pulsoid and can anyone point me where to include them/it into the diagram below and what wire goes where?
Thanks

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Minimax wiring for 4 pulsoids with ssr
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 am 
Wizard

IF you could use an SSR (as long as it's responsive enough) this is how it should be in a wiring diagram (forgive my really poor painting skills) :albino: :

Attachment:
8F62A897-BA34-4AF9-995E-BAA807C0D0F6.png
8F62A897-BA34-4AF9-995E-BAA807C0D0F6.png [ 138.52 KiB | Viewed 17063 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 am 

That's great just what I'm after thanks so what positions 1-4 on the relay below would go where on the new diagram?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:21 am 
Wizard

The load (orange) goes to poles 1 & 2, power (red) goes to pole 3, and ground/earth (black) is 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 am 

Thank you sir you have saved me a lot of headaches! :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:54 pm 
Wizard

:yes:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

That particular SSR will NOT be suitable for your purpose, as it's an AC (alternating current device) and not a DC device.

You also need an SSR that has adequate current carrying capability, which if you want to power all 4 by one unit, needs to be in excess of 30 Amps.

Although the Pulsoids only require 30 Amps, the SSR may need to be rated at as much as 60 Amps, as it will need to handle much higher back EMF voltages than a lower rated unit could handle.

We offer a suitable SSR unit that 'might' just fire 2 pairs but to be sure it would be better to use 2 of them;
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-contro ... relay.html

Having said all the above, it is almost certain that you will have burned out the Pulsoid drive circuit (or at least the FETS) by trying to drive 2 pairs directly from the Minimax, so you'll need to replace it.

With the above in mind, if it has been burned out, it would probably be a cheaper and certainly a better option, to purchase one of our used Max Extremes, as they offer many more control features, are easily capable of driving 2 pairs of Pulsoids (without SSR's) AND also offer a range of ESSENTIAL safety features.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:51 pm 
Wizard

Good catch... I saw the DC on the input side thinking it was the output... :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

It's that personality trait (attention to detail) that has made my products the best in the world. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:32 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
It's that personality trait (attention to detail) that has made my products the best in the world. ;)

A trait that Im refining I assure you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:15 pm 
Wizard

My very old FRED controller from WoN runs 2 pairs of solenoids easily and has done for many years now :)

Having said that its not as refined as the modern controllers but it works fine for what I need :)

I bet Trev is waiting for the day when I call him to say "Hey you ! That (now 20 year old) controller you sold me has broken" :)

Ha Ha!!
FRED is a bit of a lump compared to a Minimax or a Max Extreme but its still going and doing just what I want it to do in the MGB :)

Despite its age and size it still has enough connectivity to allow me to hook it up to my new MSD digital 7 ign system when i finally fit it so the MSD can tell FRED what to do ! At the moment its talking to my Mallory 6AL system as it has been for the last several years.

A mate of mine has been running one of Trevs controllers with a bank of WoN Mosfets to power 4 pairs of pulsoids for several years with no problems in his 11 second Ford F150 pickup.

Well done Trev! One day I may be calling you to buy a new controller when FRED eventually goes wrong. But i dont expect to be making that call anytime soon :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:37 am 
Wizard

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing what FRED looks like. I'd love to see a pic if you have one, perry!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
My very old FRED controller from WoN runs 2 pairs of solenoids easily and has done for many years now :)
Yes the FRED was designed to handle many more Amps than the Minimax. O.ne of my mistakes (in business terms but not personal terms), was to make my products to such high standards, as that has costs me numerous repeat sales. However, despite that loss I wouldn't change my designs, as I'd rather they were thought of as being superior quality than no better than the rest. :yes:

Having said that its not as refined as the modern controllers but it works fine for what I need :)
I've often considered replacing the Minimax with the old Maximiser (FRED) or even reintroducing them into the current range but I'd rather everyone bought a Max Extreme, as they are the only versions that offer the extensive range of safety features I've created and I'd be happier knowing that ALL my customers were benefitting from those.

I bet Trev is waiting for the day when I call him to say "Hey you ! That (now 20 year old) controller you sold me has broken" :)
Can't see that happening as I've still got customers using MUCH earlier versions of my controllers (the Powamax 7 range), without failures.

Ha Ha!!
FRED is a bit of a lump compared to a Minimax or a Max Extreme but its still going and doing just what I want it to do in the MGB :)
Yes they look a bit chunky & basic in comparison to the Max Extreme but they were the most advanced controller on the market, at the time I created them.

Despite its age and size it still has enough connectivity to allow me to hook it up to my new MSD digital 7 ign system when i finally fit it so the MSD can tell FRED what to do ! At the moment its talking to my Mallory 6AL system as it has been for the last several years.
I think you'll find it's the other way round, the FRED tells the ignition system when to retard. ;)

A mate of mine has been running one of Trevs controllers with a bank of WoN Mosfets to power 4 pairs of pulsoids for several years with no problems in his 11 second Ford F150 pickup.
Glad to hear it and those FET boxes were designed to RELIABLY power EIGHT pairs of Pulsoids (for Johnny Barbs Pro Mod car) and even then they were MASSIVELY over capacity, so he'll never experience a failure of that unit, powering only 4 pairs of Pulsoids.

Well done Trev! One day I may be calling you to buy a new controller when FRED eventually goes wrong. But i dont expect to be making that call anytime soon :omgrofl: :omgrofl:
Thanks for that Perry but I won't be holding my breath for that, as I'm 99% certain that most of my products will still be in perfect working order, long after I've burned out myself. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:38 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
That particular SSR will NOT be suitable for your purpose, as it's an AC (alternating current device) and not a DC device.

You also need an SSR that has adequate current carrying capability, which if you want to power all 4 by one unit, needs to be in excess of 30 Amps.

Although the Pulsoids only require 30 Amps, the SSR may need to be rated at as much as 60 Amps, as it will need to handle much higher back EMF voltages than a lower rated unit could handle.

We offer a suitable SSR unit that 'might' just fire 2 pairs but to be sure it would be better to use 2 of them;
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-contro ... relay.html

Having said all the above, it is almost certain that you will have burned out the Pulsoid drive circuit (or at least the FETS) by trying to drive 2 pairs directly from the Minimax, so you'll need to replace it.

With the above in mind, if it has been burned out, it would probably be a cheaper and certainly a better option, to purchase one of our used Max Extremes, as they offer many more control features, are easily capable of driving 2 pairs of Pulsoids (without SSR's) AND also offer a range of ESSENTIAL safety features.

Oh well good job I didn't try that ssr then, on the minimax side of things I test fired it yesterday and it triggered the pulsoids so I don't think it's damaged yet so I'll look into those Ssr's, I'd love to upgrade to the max but just can't afford it yet but it may be the only option in the long run.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

You've been EXTREMELY lucky not to fry it trying to fire so much load and that's a testimony to the excess capacity that we build into all our products.

Although I appreciate that you probably can't afford a new Max Extreme, our used ones are a good deal cheaper, plus we'd take your Minimax in part exchange, to reduce the cost even more.

With a bit of luck, a used Max Extreme would work out to be a similar price to adding 2 SSR's but you'd then benefit from the HUGE range of features it offers. Obviously I'd have to see the condition of your Minimax, check our stock and do some maths, before I can give you a final figure but if I were you I'd be checking it out, before spending any money on the SSR's.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 pm 
Wizard

Turbobox wrote:
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing what FRED looks like. I'd love to see a pic if you have one, perry!

I will get the cover off the car and send a pic asap mate :)

Perry

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 am 
Wizard

:D

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:48 pm 
Wizard

BTW, I spy with my little eye...

a MiniMax!! YouTube find...

Attachment:
miniSpy.jpg
miniSpy.jpg [ 76.07 KiB | Viewed 16957 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:15 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:
Yes the FRED was designed to handle many more Amps than the Minimax. O.ne of my mistakes (in business terms but not personal terms), was to make my products to such high standards, as that has costs me numerous repeat sales. However, despite that loss I wouldn't change my designs, as I'd rather they were thought of as being superior quality than no better than the rest. :yes:

I've often considered replacing the Minimax with the old Maximiser (FRED) or even reintroducing them into the current range but I'd rather everyone bought a Max Extreme, as they are the only versions that offer the extensive range of safety features I've created and I'd be happier knowing that ALL my customers were benefitting from those.

Can't see that happening as I've still got customers using MUCH earlier versions of my controllers (the Powamax 7 range), without failures.

Ha Ha!!
Yes they look a bit chunky & basic in comparison to the Max Extreme but they were the most advanced controller on the market, at the time I created them.

I think you'll find it's the other way round, the FRED tells the ignition system when to retard. ;)
It certainly does Trev :)

Glad to hear it and those FET boxes were designed to RELIABLY power EIGHT pairs of Pulsoids (for Johnny Barbs Pro Mod car) and even then they were MASSIVELY over capacity, so he'll never experience a failure of that unit, powering only 4 pairs of Pulsoids.

Thanks for that Perry but I won't be holding my breath for that, as I'm 99% certain that most of my products will still be in perfect working order, long after I've burned out myself. ;)

PS TREV!
My mate is Austin who used to race the F150. Tomorrow I'm crewing for him in his new car. A Ford Capri that has settled down to mid 8's on track nasp. The WoN stuff has been put back on I think so we will see if the 7's are on the horizon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIGrTsVIVKs

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:21 pm 

Being curious to see if 2 DC Ssr's would work I wired them in like the diagram below which was my interpretation of the above advice and as soon as I connected the power to posistion 1 the pulsoids activated before I even turned the controller on. Now I'm Looking at it if 1 and 2 are related then it's obviously just supplying a 12 v supply straight to the pulsoids.
I think I've got the input and output the wrong way round plus a few other errors!
I'm now thinking 3&4 are the input so orange from minimax to 3 which it is at present but 12v source which is currently on 1 should be on 4 and the blue 4 from minimax should be on 1?
Can anyone fill in the positions correctly as I'm confusing myself the more I think about it!
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

The diagram looks OK to me, I 'suspect' the SSR isn't the correct type, which could be 'totally' unsuitable or just unsuitable for being triggered by negative switching.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:43 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
The diagram looks OK to me, I 'suspect' the SSR isn't the correct type, which could be 'totally' unsuitable or just unsuitable for being triggered by negative switching.

Thanks,

Blimey maybe my wiring skills aren't that dire then!

I only tried it as I'm racing this weekend and didn't want to use the minimax firing 4 pulsoids.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just one question, what is the broken line representing?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
Just one question, what is the broken line representing?

That was how the pulsoids were wired as standard with the blue and orange originally from the minimax.

Would the relay I've tried be the cause of the pulsoids to trigger when 1 is connected to 12v then?