NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SPRAYED: Sonic 1.4T Vid inside
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:46 pm 
Wizard

Sprayed the Sonic on video. For all of you considering nitrous for the first time.

I also thank you for those who asked questions thus far.

HAPPY SPRAYING!!! :yes:

Sonic 1.4T SPRAYED!

SONIC SPRAYED REDUX!

DAILY DRVING ON N2O

Last edited by Turbobox on Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: SPRAYED: Sonic 1.4T Vid inside
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:17 am 
Wizard

After posting the previous video, I realized that I was completely unsatisfied with the car's performance. I thought I was simply getting used to the feel of the car on the hit, except I was convinced that it wasn't performing as it used to. So I went out a few more times and discovered that I wasn't getting much nitrous flow at all.

After changing the nitrous filter, the nitrous performance was MUCH better, except that the car STILL wasn't making the power it should've been on the hit. Sure it was better, but not what it should be.

That's when I discovered that the rubber charge pipe blew through my previous boost leak repair and I had to fix it once again, only this time I made it even STRONGER that before.

Attachment:
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG [ 248.89 KiB | Viewed 24515 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG [ 202.27 KiB | Viewed 24515 times ]

The sealant is curing now and requires another 8 hours. I hope to report in with the raw power this little car had previously on the lovely nectar! :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:41 am 
Learner

While this looks like a solid repair why not cut a 2 inch section from your charge pipe and replace with an aluminum intake smooth tube like the link below. You can drill and tap the aluminum tube for the crossfire. That's the way I have my injectors installed. It is a solid and reliable setup.

https://www.google.com/search?q=viper+aluminum+smooth+tubes&biw=1093&bih=521&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizh4T22bDMAhVG4CYKHTItBywQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=qjFsuFrVa6n29M%3A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:26 am 
Learner

These cars are sent to try us! :beatstick:

I've just ordered a few filters myself as I've never changed it in the time I've had the system so glad to hear that made an improvement as I'm not convinced mine is quite right.

Fingers crossed you finally get a bit of good luck :yes:

PB: 16@86.19mph off gas, 14.94@90.5mph on gas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 am 
Wizard

viperrt10 wrote:
While this looks like a solid repair why not cut a 2 inch section from your charge pipe and replace with an aluminum intake smooth tube like the link below. You can drill and tap the aluminum tube for the crossfire. That's the way I have my injectors installed. It is a solid and reliable setup.

https://www.google.com/search?q=viper+aluminum+smooth+tubes&biw=1093&bih=521&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizh4T22bDMAhVG4CYKHTItBywQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=qjFsuFrVa6n29M%3A

I considered replacing the pipe. However, my repair is pretty much free. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:58 pm 
Wizard

The repair worked AWESOMELY! My non-nitrous power is FAR better and nitrous (low pressure) power was MUCH better and held all the way to the the red zone! Hopefully, I will make some more runs (on cam) with proper nitrous pressure and post some data. :cheers:

Attachment:
Boost Leak Sonic small.jpg
Boost Leak Sonic small.jpg [ 175.72 KiB | Viewed 24503 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 am 
Wizard

New vid uploaded to put the beast back in my SONIC!

Link in first post! :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

:yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:50 am 
Learner

Great video... gives a good insight into the difference nitrous makes to a vehicle.

also i didnt know about the dyno app, so thanks for the heads up on that, i shall no doubt be purchasing perfexpert from the app store :yes:

just one question... do you have to turn the bottle off every time you park your car up, and turn it back on once you get back in ?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

If you use ANY other brand of nitrous kit or a WON system that uses braided hose (only supplied to customers in very hot climates), it is wise to close the valve when not being used, as ALL braided hose suffers from micro leaks, so over time you'll waste the bottle contents.
This is one of the reasons why we use nylon pipe whenever possible, as it stays sealed 100%.

It's also EXTREMELY wise to shut of the bottle valve when using ANY other brand, because the solenoids they are supplied with, are GUARANTEED TO LEAK sooner or later but thankfully for WON customers that risk is virtually zero with our unique Pulsoids, so it's not as essential and as a consequence, most WON customers don't shut their valves off between uses.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:40 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
Great video... gives a good insight into the difference nitrous makes to a vehicle.

It is my goal to show others "the light" side of the lovely nectar as you do. And know that if I can raise my jetting sizes just a smidget, the car would be more impressive. :yes:

also i didnt know about the dyno app, so thanks for the heads up on that, i shall no doubt be purchasing perfexpert from the app store :yes:

I was iffy about the app at first, but after looking around on the developer forum, I found that the admin there goes to GREAT lengths to assist others with the app. Also, I learned a lot about accelerometer type dyno tuning and it's really great, given you have a flat and smooth road.

just one question... do you have to turn the bottle off every time you park your car up, and turn it back on once you get back in ?

As the Wizard stated, you need to have ALL WON components to be able to do that which I do not have so I have to close my bottle every time. I'm used to it though.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
If you use ANY other brand of nitrous kit or a WON system that uses braided hose (only supplied to customers in very hot climates), it is wise to close the valve when not being used, as ALL braided hose suffers from micro leaks, so over time you'll waste the bottle contents.
This is one of the reasons why we use nylon pipe whenever possible, as it stays sealed 100%.

It's also EXTREMELY wise to shut of the bottle valve when using ANY other brand, because the solenoids they are supplied with, are GUARANTEED TO LEAK sooner or later but thankfully for WON customers that risk is virtually zero with our unique Pulsoids, so it's not as essential and as a consequence, most WON customers don't shut their valves off between uses.

cheers for the swift reply :yes:

you probably know what i was thinking... you jump in the car drive off and think damn i forgot to turn the bottle on... next minute your in a situation where you need some spray and... :rolleyes:

Im eager to try Nitrous on my car, but the only other thing that has put me off actually purchasing a nitrous kit, is getting the bottle refilled... not the fact so much that you have to refill it... more the fact of the very limited refill stations. the nearest place to me (that i know of) in Coventry is Street car Nitrous solutions in Stockton (it has a Coventry post code but is way out of the city in the sticks) which is 15 miles away or a half an hours drive, a 30 mile round trip (or an hours driving) every time the bottle runs out is a bit off putting to be fair.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:
you probably know what i was thinking... you jump in the car drive off and think damn i forgot to turn the bottle on... next minute your in a situation where you need some spray and... :rolleyes:
Yes I've been there and done that but thankfully as you are in the UK and IF you choose a WON system, you would be supplied a system with NYLON pipe (so there will be NO risk of leaks) and you'll benefit from the outstanding reliability of our Pulsoids, so you could leave the bottle valve open. An optional enhancement that you could add, is one of our inline QA valves that would reduce the already minimal risk of leaving the bottle valve open;

http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-ancill ... plete.html

Im eager to try Nitrous on my car, but the only other thing that has put me off actually purchasing a nitrous kit, is getting the bottle refilled... not the fact so much that you have to refill it... more the fact of the very limited refill stations. the nearest place to me (that i know of) in Coventry is Street car Nitrous solutions in Stockton (it has a Coventry post code but is way out of the city in the sticks) which is 15 miles away or a half an hours drive, a 30 mile round trip (or an hours driving) every time the bottle runs out is a bit off putting to be fair.
The most convenient and cheapest way to get refills is to rent a large cylinder from www.nitrousoxidesupplies.co.uk and purchase a refill kit from us (as ours is much cheaper than theirs) and do the filling yourself.
You need to be reasonably strong (to man handle the big cylinder) and you'd need somewhere to store the bottle but if you can manage that, it's the way to go.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:45 pm 
Learner

Its a lot to take in for a novice just getting into nitrous... you have a kit fitted, then you need to retard the ignition by 2 degrees for every 50 bhp (how would you even do that on a modernish car where everythings ecu controlled) im guessing i need to take my car somewhere and pay for them to change the parameters in my ecu, then ive got an engine running less than optimal when not on the spray? then you need colder plugs, (im not even sure theres any available for my car) ive done a little internet research and the plugs in my engine look quite long reach as standard, which ive read is bad for nitrous use... and i guess living in a coldish country im gonna need a bottle warmer...

ive read that if the bottle gets too cold then that effects the power delivery of nitrous, possibly halving the power delivered, and lets face it we have long cold winters in Britain... lets be realistic.. a bottle of nitrous left in the boot of a car sat in the street over night in Britain from october to May (8 months of the year) is gonna be stone cold, ive read that keeping the bottle at the optimum temperature is paramount... so getting your head around bottle temperature /pressures is another factor to get your head around.

and i guess a nitrous controller is going to be needed to keep things safe when a 50hp shot is being used, and trying to get your head around trying to know the ins and outs of working that, i saw Turbo box switching on his controller in his video, he was blipping buttons and all sorts of fancy stuff, and i must be honest i have no clue what on earth he was doing lol... then getting your head around refilling... if like me theres no where reasonably close to get your bottle refilled, you then need to get your head around all the paraphernalia involved in that, not to mention storing a huge nitrous bottle... Im not sure how much you would spend on nitrous refills a year, for example?

suddenly the £1000 for a basic nitrous kit runs into several thousand pounds, and you start to wonder if just having a supercharger or turbo is more cost effective...

theres a company that offers a drive in drive out Rotrex supercharger fitting service for my car for 3 grand that gives a 50hp increase in power... link below.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3901033186

and im leaning towards getting that at the moment, (I have contacted the company and they have carried out several conversions on my particular car a mk7 fiesta 1.6 zetec s) I was originally leaning towards a basic nitrous install... yes the supercharger is 3 times the cost of a basic nitrous kit, but now im thinking of the hidden charges with nitrous. The suercharger install would be 1 price only and the powers there all the time, fit and forget, no bottle is gonna run out, i dont need to sit getting my head around half a dozen reasons why my nitrous isnt gonna work properly...

yes nitrous seems cheaper, its often advertised as the cheapest horse power you can install, but when you factor in the above mentioned hidden extra spendage, i dont think nitrous is as cheap as you think...

by the way dont look on my post as criticism, far from it... just genuine thoughts, fears, apprehension... please add your points for/against my raised points. you never know you may steer me back towards nitrous!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:
Its a lot to take in for a novice just getting into nitrous...
Couldn't agree more but you've come to the right place for the guidance, which will make it much easier for you.

you have a kit fitted, then you need to retard the ignition by 2 degrees for every 50 bhp (how would you even do that on a modernish car where everythings ecu controlled) then you need colder plugs, (im not even sure theres any available for my car) and i guess living in a coldish country im gonna need a bottle warmer...
Before you even need to consider such things, it would be best to decide how much power will be needed to satisfy your requirements and to do that we would need to know what car you have and what you want to achieve.
Most customers are more than happy with up to 50 HP, so they don't have to make ANY changes to the car.
With most modern cars the ECU has the inherent ability to self adjust the timing as and when needed, by means of a detonation sensor, so even if you wanted more than 50 HP you may not need to adjust the timing.
Although it's beneficial to maintain bottle pressure by means of a heater, it's not essential and for most of the many years nitrous has been used on cars, they weren't even available.

ive read that if the bottle gets too cold then that effects the power delivery of nitrous, possibly halving the power delivered, and lets face it we have long cold winters in Britain... ive read that keeping the bottle at the optimum temperature is paramount... so getting your head around bottle pressures is another factor.
While it is beneficial it is not "paramount" and even though our temps in the UK are less than consistent even in summer, most people don't tend to use the nitrous during the coldest months, therefore the adverse effect on the power over the rest of the time, isn't as bad as you've been lead to believe.

and i guess a nitrous controller is going to be needed to keep things safe when a 50hp shot is being used, and trying to get your head around trying to know the ins and outs of working that, i saw Turbo box switching on his controller in his video, he was blipping buttons and all sorts of fancy stuff, and i must be honest i have no clue what on earth he was doing lol...
Again, controllers are certainly beneficial but they are not essential. Most of our customer do not buy controllers or if they do, they tend to add them at a later date, when they get greedy with the power increase.
If you did decide to buy a controller you'll be pleased to learn that they are supplied pre-programed and ready to use. You can then read our VERY EASY to follow instruction sheets (as and when it suits you), to make any adjustments you'd like, which you'll find extremely easy to do.

then getting your head around refilling... if like me theres no where reasonably close to get your bottle refilled, you then need to get your head around all the paraphernalia involved in that, not to mention storing a huge nitrous bottle... Im not sure how much you would spend on nitrous refills a year, for example?
Again this is not as complicated as it may at first seem. When I first started using nitrous I had NOBODY to assist me (as I was the first in the UK to take this route) and NOTHING to refer to learn from and yet I still managed to get to this point in my life, so you'll find it MUCH easier than I did, as you can benefit from my 35 years of experience and aftersales support.

suddenly the £1000 for a basic nitrous kit runs into several thousand pounds, and you start to wonder if just having a supercharger or turbo is more cost effective...
There's no doubt that you can end up spending a great deal more money that £1,000 on a nitrous system but you might like to consider the following, as they are very important factors to keep in mind when trying to do a comparrison;
1) There is NO question that even with the additional potential costs, nitrous is still MUCH CHEAPER than any other tuning option
2) Even if the costs were the same, at least you can spread the costs over a number of years, rather than having to pay it all at once, which most people can't afford to do
3) Turbo and superchargers cause higher fuel consumption the majority of the time the engine is running, the reverse is the case with nitrous
4) Turbo's and superchargers wear and need costly servicing, whereas WON nitrous systems NEVER need servicing
5) Aftermarket turbo's and superchargers frequently fail and when they do so, they usually damage the engine as well. WON nitrous systems will never fail and even if they did, it would be less likely to cause as much damage.
6) It is complicated and expensive to remove a turbo or blower from one car to fit to another, making it impractical to take your power enhancer with you, when you decide to change car but with a WON system it is quick and easy, to the point where we have many customers who have done so repeatedly over many years.
With all the above in mind, if you take all this into account when making a comparison, there's no doubt that the WON nitrous system will work out much cheaper than any other tuning method.

theres a company that offers a drive in drive out Rotrex supercharger fitting service for my car for 3 grand that gives a 50hp increase in power...
It may add 50 HP PEAK power but it will still produce a lower performance than a 50 HP increase from a WON system, as the WON system would add 50 HP THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RPM RANGE.
I have independent magazine test results that prove this to be the case.
Furthermore, if you wanted to make 150 HP the supercharger would cost you much more than the initial cost but the WON nitrous system would only cost you £15

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 3901033186

and im leaning towards getting that at the moment, after originally leaning towards a basic nitrous install... yes its 3 times the cost of a basic nitrous kit, but now im thinking of the hidden charges with nitrous. The suercharger install would be 1 price only and the powers there all the time, fit and forget...
Hopefully you're reflect on all the above information and see that there is much more to making a fair comparison than you have done so far.

yes nitrous seems cheaper, its often advertised as the cheapest horse power you can install, but when you factor in the above mentioned hidden extra spendage, i dont think nitrous is as cheap as you think...
There is NO doubt that a WON nitrous system will work out MUCH cheaper than any other tuning method short and long term, when ALL things are considered.

plus that bottles gonna always run out when you need it most.
Yes that's possible but that can easily be addressed by fitting 2 bottles, so you have one in reserve.

by the way dont look on my post as criticism, far from it... just genuine thoughts, fears, apprehension... please add your points for/against my raised points.
Not a problem and I've read similar comments many 1,000s or times before, so I'm more than accustomed to it.
BTW does the blower kit include some means of retarding the timing, as blowers heat the intake charge, which makes the engine more likely to suffer detonation?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:53 am 
Wizard

X2 for the Wizard's response.

Additionally I'd like to add that, although adding a the supercharger like the one in the Facebook link and being a permanent source of additional power, the downside to having that power available all of the time is that one becomes accustomed to that level of power far more quickly and that even MORE power will be desired much sooner than the occasional blast of nitrous. Consequently, that's where even MORE additional costs begin to stack up as additional tuning will be needed (beyond the remap they originally supply to the ECU), additional components such as additional pulleys would be needed and cost more than a simple set of larger jets. Not to mention that ROTREX (centrifugal supercharger similar to a turbocharger) creates a linear torque curve because it increases boost with RPM whereas nitrous increases torque significantly throughout all RPM.

Also, if you had a large refill cylinder delivered to you, it would last an extremely long time if the jetting remained a mere 50 HP. Furthermore, colder climates could be accounted for by increasing the nitrous side jet, especially when it's cold for the majority of the year.

Take my example, it took a fairly short amount of time for me to seek more performance out of my already turbocharged and RETUNED engine, and there is NO kit available to upgrade without a completely custom system which would amount to buku money (and I don't buy cheap GARBAGE parts as stated in one of my videos) as well as more ECU mapping. And if I did choose to change my vehicle, which I tend to do (again in one of my videos), I'd lose all I had spent on the car to start over with another car. I'll already be losing the money spent on the aftermarket tune I have on my car if I decide to sell, yet I'd easily remove my nitrous system for transferring it to the next vehicle.

As the Wizard mentioned, there is no requirement to have a controller as I do. The only reason I bought it was to avoid clutch slippage from the extra torque the nitrous was putting out, only to find out that the clutch slipped even without the nitrous... what luck, eh? And that unit will be migrating to my other car once the new clutch upgrade is completed. :D

Lastly, I've known many individuals who spend lots of money replacing turbos (due to lag or low power) and supers (due to excess heat output) over time just to get the latest and greatest (and much more expensive) units while a WON system would need very little in additional spending to upgrade to a system that would suit most of their power needs while decreasing heat and having NO lag issues.

In the long term, complex power adders like turbos and supers can end up costing much more than a WON system.

I've made my choice a long time ago to ditch nitrous because I used GARBAGE nitrous kits in the past before I revisited it only a couple of years ago (still JUNK kits), but if I could have done it right the first time and found WON, I probably would have not spent so much time and money on half a dozen turbos and intercoolers on my project cars. Instead, I would have focused on finding a factory performance cars (with all of that saved money) that would have made great power with the SAME nitrous kit over time. A nice new Mustang with a 250 shot perhaps? I can only speculate... :drunken:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:18 am 
Site Admin

All very true. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:22 am 
Learner

Quote:
"Before you even need to consider such things, it would be best to decide how much power will be needed to satisfy your requirements and to do that we would need to know what car you have and what you want to achieve."

I am looking for a 50hp increase in power, and as i mentioned i have a Fiesta mk7 1.6 zetec s

Quote:
most people don't tend to use the nitrous during the coldest months, therefore the adverse effect on the power over the rest of the time, isn't as bad as you've been lead to believe.

this would be a problem, i scraped ice off my car 2 mornings ago... i live in Britain not Florida... so yes i need to go fast even if its cold.... i like to think thats what makes Brits and people from Finland excellent race drivers :p (no disrespect to anyone reading who have never seen ice) :)

Quote:
BTW does the blower kit include some means of retarding the timing, as blowers heat the intake charge, which makes the engine more likely to suffer detonation?

The supercharger installation comes with a charge cooler, bigger injectors and a remapped ecu.

Quote:
Additionally I'd like to add that, although adding a the supercharger like the one in the Facebook link and being a permanent source of additional power, the downside to having that power available all of the time is that one becomes accustomed to that level of power

I wouldnt be driving every where with my foot buried in the carpet, sometimes you have to take the mrs shopping, and sometimes you dont even feel like driving fast, the need for extra power can come at unexpected times... like just today when i was driving down the motorway (freeway) and i had a car sat on my tail gate trying to push me along, even though there was another car right in front of me... as soon as the car in front of me moves over i want to put my foot down and have instant extra power.... I dont want to be thinking geez it is a bit cold out today... and did i remember to turn the bottle on... and wonder have I got anything left in the bottle, i have used it a bit lately...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:
I am looking for a 50hp increase in power, and as i mentioned i have a Fiesta mk7 1.6 zetec s
An increase of 50 HP from a WON system on such a car would be mental and I'd be surprised if you didn't decide that 25 was enough, as much more than that would be wasted in wheel spin.
Keep in mind that 50 HP would also produce in the region of 50 ftlbs of torque potential even more at lower RPM, which will be a large percentage increase over your NA figure.

this would be a problem, i scraped ice off my car 2 mornings ago... i live in Britain not Florida... so yes i need to go fast even if its cold.... i like to think thats what makes Brits and people from Finland excellent race drivers :p (no disrespect to anyone reading who have never seen ice) :)
It sounds like you're not aware that WON is a British company based in England. I'm well aware of the weather conditions here and as I was the first person to ever do a donut in a car (multiple times) and was using nitrous at the time, I think I can be considered as the mental type but even I wouldn't try to use nitrous on ICE.
Further testimony to my cavalier attitude is the fact that I ALONE was prepared to continue a Drag racing even in WET conditions, while everyone else voted to go home and I'm pretty sure that I've used nitrous in the worst conditions it's feasible to do so. With all that in mind unless you want to be doing donuts, drifting, wasting your money or killing yourself, it is wise to reserve the use of nitrous to 'good' road conditions, which are generally during the warmer months.

I wouldnt be driving every where with my foot buried in the carpet, sometimes you have to take the mrs shopping, and sometimes you dont even feel like driving fast, the need for extra power can come at unexpected times...
All of which is an argument FOR nitrous oxide rather than a blower. Even though you won't have your foot to the floor all the time, your engine will CONSTANTLY be driving the blower, which will cause your mpg to fall CONSTANTLY. In contrast, there is NO effect on your MPG for the vast majority of the time you use the car.
Now IF you'd said that from the minute you get in your car to the minute you get out, your foot was nailed to the floor (as was my case for MANY years), that MIGHT have been a different situation but even then 'I' chose nitrous over turbo's and blowers, as my car had enough NA power for most of my requirements and I seldom needed the additional nitrous power, so it worked out perfectly well.

like just today when i was driving down the motorway (freeway) and i had a car sat on my tail gate trying to push me along, even though there was another car right in front of me... as soon as the car in front of me moves over i want to put my foot down and have instant extra power.... I dont want to be thinking geez it is a bit cold out today... and did i remember to turn the bottle on... and wonder have I got anything left in the bottle, i have used it a bit lately...
As Alex pointed out, the matter of the cold weather can easily be addressed by simple jet changes but obviously a heater would be better. Also as I pointed out, you can either leave the bottle valve open or add a Quick Acting inline valve within easy reach of your seat. Although there is no cheap method of keeping track of your nitrous use, our top of the range Max Extreme can be supplied with a bottle contents indicator, which would tell you how much was left prior to use.
Even if there were no solutions to your concerns, WON nitrous offers many alternative advantages over all other tuning methods, which outweigh those relatively less important disadvantages.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:13 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:

1) The Rotrex would have a peak 50hp near the MAX RPM of the engine and it would stay there only for a brief moment as it's RPM dependant meaning there would be very LITTLE torque increase when you need it most at lower RPM. Therefore, you'd have to get the revs up pretty high in order to pass somebody quickly and even then you'd lose the time between shifts to do so. In contrast, nitrous (even on a smaller jetting) would give you a MUCH BROADER and USABLE torque range to pass other cars even at relatively low RPM meaning you wouldn't need to downshift excessively to make a quick overtake.

2) It only takes a few seconds of nitrous use at a 50 hp jetting which is a VERY LITTLE amount nitrous AND excess fuel consumption so the contents would last a long period of time (I've been on my same bottle for MONTHS :yes: ). Whereas, the continuous fuel consumption of turning the supercharger would be of a CONSTANT penalty and only really usable in a small window at high RPM.

this would be a problem, i scraped ice off my car 2 mornings ago... i live in Britain not Florida... so yes i need to go fast even if its cold.... i like to think that's what makes Brits and people from Finland excellent race drivers :p (no disrespect to anyone reading who have never seen ice) :)

I only moved to Florida in the past year; I lived in New Jersey/New York area for most of my life where I also used nitrous kits with no ill effects from the cold (other than the kits were garbage). A simple bottle heater, which I still have, solved the cold bottle issue with ease. By the way, I RACED people in the SNOW and ICE in my younger years in my 1985 Nissan 200sx turbo with RWD so I also know how to drive very well in ALL conditions :D

The supercharger installation comes with a charge cooler, bigger injectors and a remapped ecu.

Components you can't transfer to another vehicle of a different model, whereas you would be able to do so with a simple WON system. And I mentioned that I would have save A LOT of money if I didn't lose the majority of it due to selling my project vehicles over the years: turbos, fuel systems, ECU's, etc. aren't ever worth that much sold seperately. Even now, I still have an intercooler and large turbo (old design) that I still have in my possession with no use for them so that's still money I have to recover.

I wouldn't be driving every where with my foot buried in the carpet, sometimes you have to take the mrs shopping, and sometimes you dont even feel like driving fast, the need for extra power can come at unexpected times... like just today when i was driving down the motorway (freeway) and i had a car sat on my tail gate trying to push me along, even though there was another car right in front of me... as soon as the car in front of me moves over i want to put my foot down and have instant extra power.... I don't want to be thinking geez it is a bit cold out today... and did i remember to turn the bottle on... and wonder have I got anything left in the bottle, i have used it a bit lately...

1) As the Wizard already mentioned, you just strengthened the case for using nitrous instead as you'd only need power on occasion, which is also my case.

2) The "instant power" would not be there if you use the Rotrex as it's only really usable at high RPM where it makes most the increased torque, yet nitrous would have done the job MORE THAN HALF the REV range ago as nitrous torque is increased throughout ALL RPM.

3) I don't have a 100% WON system so I have no choice but to open and close the bottle or else the bottle would empty from micro leaks in my garbage braided supply pipe. With a 100% WON system, the bottle can remain open until it's finally consumed by actual use over time. So worrying about having the bottle open is a moot point.

4) WON bottle brackets are quick disconnect and it is quite QUICK, SIMPLE, and FREE to check the quantity of nitrous in the bottle via a simple bathroom scale, and having 2 or even 3 bottles (if you're mental) would practically last the life of the car if used at 50 HP and only on occasion for a few seconds.

I've also encountered these same concerns over the years and even BEFORE I discovered WON. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:08 pm 
Learner

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions gentlemen, you have made some very good points for the use of nitrous, and im glad you answered my concerns in a calm manner without flaming me out lol 8)

I do like the idea of nitrous, and the point about it can be transferred easily from 1 vehicle to another....

I think you got the wrong impression when i raised the point about the cold, of course im not planning on racing on ice, im not quite that mad :omgrofl:
but for a large percentage of the year it is very cold in the uk, especially over night when scraping frost off the windows first thing in the morning is very common... and the boot (trunk) where the nitrous bottle will be sat is the coldest part of the car, a bottle heater would probably be a wise investment i feel.

I have taken on board your reply of maybe a 50 shot being too much, it would of course be wise to start at a 25 shot and see how it feels first.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Goyle wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions gentlemen, you have made some very good points for the use of nitrous, and im glad you answered my concerns in a calm manner without flaming me out lol 8)
My pleasure and I don't allow flaming on my forum and certainly wouldn't use that technique myself, especially while a forum member is making sensible posts.

I do like the idea of nitrous, and the point about it can be transferred easily from 1 vehicle to another....
That is one of its biggest advantages that most people fail to take into account when costing and comparing it with alternatives. Add to that the fact that they will NEVER wear out or fail and you're buying a tuning product FOR YOUR LIFE, rather than JUSt the duration you own this particular car.
Furthermore, not only are you saving on not having to buy another blower for your next car (and the next and the next etc.) but you'd also have a better chance of selling an unmodified car (even if only due to having a bigger potential market), than a modified one. Even if you did sell it with the blower fitted, you wouldn't get anywhere near the additional cost you paid for it on top of the car value.
With a WON nitrous system you can remove the system when you want to switch cars and then the car is back to its unmodified state, with all the benefits that has AND you effectively retain the FULL value of the nitrous system, as you don't have to buy a new one, plus the savings are even inflation and future proof.

I think you got the wrong impression when i raised the point about the cold, of course im not planning on racing on ice, im not quite that mad :omgrofl:
but for a large percentage of the year it is very cold in the uk, especially over night when scraping frost off the windows first thing in the morning is very common... and the boot (trunk) where the nitrous bottle will be sat is the coldest part of the car, a bottle heater would probably be a wise investment i feel.
There's no doubt that bottle heaters are beneficial but for the first 20 years or so, that I was manufacturing and selling nitrous systems, ALL my customers managed very well without them, just as many have continued to do since then. I've probably used more nitrous on my vehicles than the rest of the UK put together and yet I've never had a heater on any of them, as the idea didn't exist back when I was obsessed by speed.

I have taken on board your reply of maybe a 50 shot being too much, it would of course be wise to start at a 25 shot and see how it feels first.
That is EXACTLY WHY WE REFUSE to supply ANY system with jets bigger than 25 HP, because until you've actually tried WON nitrous, you can begin to estimate how much you'll be satisfied with and there's no point adding more than either you need and/or the car can handle.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:25 am 
Wizard

One more vid in first post! :yes:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:57 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
One more vid in first post! :yes:

nice one... looks well nippy that :yes: