NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: advice needed for direct port
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 am 

I need some advice on setting up the fuel system for my car (1999 mustang gt). I am installing a direct port kit, and would like to have the ability to spray up to a 300 shot. If at all possible i would like to keep everything pulling fuel from the same tank, and not have a dedicated nitrous fuel tank. I am looking for the most cost effective method that would still be safe. Car made 405/385 on 93 pump gas, rings are gapped for a 300 shot, so i know the engine can handle it. Thanks.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: advice needed for direct port
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:37 pm 
Wizard

Welcome to the forum!

Your question is quite confusing; the fuel source for the nitrous system is either A) shared with the fuel in the tank or B) independent of the fuel tank source. If there were some way to deliver the required fuel without A or B, then that would be a new discovery in fuel delivery!

The advantage to a separate fuel tank source is that you can use whatever type of fuel you want in the nitrous system and it could exist there for some time. The disadvantage is making sure that it is full of fuel on a regular basis to ensure that fuel is always present when you want to spray. Another advantage is that you can easily transfer the separate tank into any other vehicle along with the nitrous system. This type of system does cost more in the beginning, but it also pays for itself in being easy to troubleshoot and upgrade without disturbing the characteristics of the engine's fuel system delivery.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to my forum, what brand of kit do you have?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:18 pm 

What i am referring to is how to actually plumb the fuel system. I want to run the nitrous system off of the cars main fuel tank so i do not have to worry with making sure another tank is full, or mounting locations for the other tank.

The kit i have is a nos noszle kit. It has the nozzles that mount underneath the fuel injectors.

From research online, it seems that running a direct port kit is best on low fuel pressure so that the jets can be larger and less likely to clog up from old fuel residue or debris. My local speed shop guy says not to worry about that and go with high pressure. i am looking for some advice on which way to go and how to plumb it all. Such as, can i just t into the line leaving the fuel rail before it goes into the bypass style pressure regulator? Or do i need to run 2 seperate feed lines from the tank? The local speed shop guy says i need seperate lines and regulators due to the size of the shot (300).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

First of all the Noszle concept is a terrible idea, especially for a relatively high power level as you are wanting, as the nitrous is injected not only in very close proximity with the additional fuel from the nitrous system but also the fuel from the fuel injection system (which is unique to this type of nozzle) and as a consequence it causes a major temperature drop.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect of the reliability of a combustion engine is VAPORISATION of the fuel, as any fuel that is not VAPORISED will NOT burn and the unburned fuel is likely to detonate and kill the engine.

For the fuel to VAPORISE it needs to be heated, so anything that drops the temperature of the fuel, will at very least slow down the point at which the fuel vaporises and how much of it vaporises, both of which is detrimental to performance and more importantly engine reliability.

For your further information, we at WON consider this such an important problem, that we do not sell even a basic combined nozzle (which is less of a problem than the Noszels), to our high power customers and if it wasn't for the convenience of combined nozzles on low power systems, we would stop selling them to anyone.
The more nitrous you add, the colder the fuel gets and therefore the more important it is, to run INDEPENDENT fuel and nitrous 'nozzles' and at the very high end it is ESSENTIAL to locate them as far apart as possible.

This thread details our high end Pro Mod system, where we locate the INDEPENDENT nitrous nozzle at the entry to the runner and position the atomising fuel nozzles as close to the inlet valve as possible, which minimises the temperature reduction of the fuel substantially;
http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/viewtop ... f=5&t=5907

With regards to which way is best to plumb the system, I refrain from giving advice on other brands as they are all incorrectly designed (as detailed above for example) and as a consequence we use entirely different principles, because our products are designed correctly.

All I can say is that if you were using a WON system we would advise you to use high pressure but EVERY ASPECT of our systems is different to ALL others, so that may not be best for yours. Personally I would sell that kit on to someone you don't like and leave them with the problems and buy a correctly designed WON system.

A few additional facts for your consideration;

1) The hole through the centre of the Noszel is too small for the plume of fuel (which is FAN shaped and therefore grows in diameter, as it gets further from the fuel injector), that has to pass through it and as a consequence, some of the fuel hits the bore of the Noszel and ceases to be atomised and forms puddles, which increases the likelihood of detonation.

2) The nylon pipe supplied with the Noszel kits has a VERY SMALL bore and as a consequence will have very limited flow capability and as FLOW is entirely dependent on bore size AND PRESSURE, if you choose to use a low pressure, the pipe bore may not be big enough to flow the required amount of fuel.

3) Keep in mind that just because a metering jet of say 0.010 (at the Noszel) flows the amount of fuel you want, if you fed it with a pipe of the same diameter (or even substantially bigger up to a point), it would flow LESS.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!