NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: AFR with NOS on a turbocharged engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 pm 

I recently got my Impreza mapped on the dyno. I have a single point wet system with the crossfire injector placed in the intercooler 5 or 6 inches from the throttlebody.
Using a 100 nos jet / 40 fuel jet the car runs an AFR of 10.8.1. The car made 501 bhp which is a gain of 60hp on normal, this with the map boost, fuel and ignition trimmed back.
Is the AFR ok or does it seem too rich for nitrous ? I've heard that it's important not to run too lean with nitrous but also a view that AFR should be around 11.7.1 for my type of car.
These are dyno figures and the next step would be to check the AFR out on the road were I suspect it could run a tad leaner.
From where I am placed, to run a leaner mixture would it be safe to gradually increase the nos jet size?
thanks
Trev

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: AFR with NOS on a turbocharged engine
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:22 am 
Site Admin

You should be able to run a bit leaner but richer is certainly safer and as long as you can get the end result you are looking for, it's only going to cost you a bit more in nitrous and fuel, than if you had it running the leanest AFR it will run at.

The choice is yours, perfect mixture and save a bit of cash or slightly too rich and waste a little cash but avoid the increased risk of having to spend a bunch more on repairing the engine.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 am 
Wizard

To add to The Wizard's comments, you've already made more power than the jetting is rated at. Without leaning out the AFR, you can further increase power by slowly advancing the timing within allowable limits as given by the spark plugs' condition. With 50 bhp jetting, you're detonation threshold should be lowered enough for you to do this and potentially make more power safely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:44 pm 

that's reassuring thanks.
I know one respected mapper who feels too rich, far from being safer can be as bad as too lean, 10.8 would be too rich for a high powered car in his view.
Of course my own mapper is happy with the fueling and I have to say the car has never felt or sounded better when running nos, under full load.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox is correct on all counts.

There are some people who think excessively rich is as bad as too lean with nitrous as well but I've NEVER seen any indications of that being the case.
In the case of nitrous use it's my belief that the cause of the problem is POOR components and ill informed people GUESSING that the cause of a failure is because it's too rich.
As long as ALL the fuel has been VAPORISED there should NOT be a problem. However, if some of the fuel is NOT vaporised it will actually cause a LEAN condition and THAT is why SOME people incorrectly blame the mixture ratio, rather than the condition of the fuel itself.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:21 pm 

What would be the signs that the fuel is not getting vaporized?

In a wet system would this mean fuel puddling at the bottom of the intake manifold?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:32 pm 
Wizard

Pepi wrote:
What would be the signs that the fuel is not getting vaporized?

In a wet system would this mean fuel puddling at the bottom of the intake manifold?

Yes, it is one sign of poor fuel vaporization. However, there is another state of misdiagnosed leanness from poor atomization where fuel in the combustion chamber remains liquid and unburned, then carried out into the exhaust system where it then burns and the AFR meter reads rich, and this is where these myths stem from. For example, the AFR could read 10.5:1, yet the actual effective AFR in the combustion chamber could be as lean as 14:1. It is vital that not only are your nitrous components are kept clean, but also your fuel injectors, fuel pump, or carburetor components.

The only true indication of engine conditions is reading the spark plugs directly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:47 pm 

The reason I ask is my static test indicates that I am running lean and I am questioning:

a) that the cross fire is not inserted deep enough in the i.d. of the throttle body boot (that it is not atomizing properly)
b) my fuel pressure is lacking or
c) perhaps the volume is not sufficient

I am having a hard time finding exactly what I am looking for (visually) when inspecting spark plugs, as it seems slightly ambiguous when looking for the telltale signs of running lean on nitrous.

1. Is there a good description what to look for that you can recommend, that would help me when inspecting spark plugs for lean running nitrous?

2. Is it easier to inspect plugs for lean nitrous after they have been in service or when they are brand new?

My next step is to replace the spark plugs with one step colder, as I was due for new plugs and was planning to up the nitrous power in the near future; provided that I confirm that the lean nitrous issue has been sorted out.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:41 pm 
Wizard

Pepi wrote:
The reason I ask is my static test indicates that I am running lean and I am questioning:

a) that the cross fire is not inserted deep enough in the i.d. of the throttle body boot (that it is not atomizing properly)

Possible, but unlikely. But post a pic if you're in doubt and we will help you.

b) my fuel pressure is lacking or

Also possible because this was the case with my car due to the way it varies fuel pressure. I had to go directly to the road test to adjust my mixture.

c) perhaps the volume is not sufficient

Only if you're fuel pump is failing or inadequate for your modifications. If your engine is almost stock and you're using the provided 25 bhp jetting, then this will most likely NOT be the case.

I am having a hard time finding exactly what I am looking for (visually) when inspecting spark plugs, as it seems slightly ambiguous when looking for the telltale signs of running lean on nitrous.

1. Is there a good description what to look for that you can recommend, that would help me when inspecting spark plugs for lean running nitrous?

You should see my installation thread where I go into detail about the information you seek. My Thread

2. Is it easier to inspect plugs for lean nitrous after they have been in service or when they are brand new?

There is no escape from this: always use new plugs for tuning your nitrous system.

My next step is to replace the spark plugs with one step colder, as I was due for new plugs and was planning to up the nitrous power in the near future; provided that I confirm that the lean nitrous issue has been sorted out.

Only install the new plugs if your tuning your mixture. As I've mentioned, you may not have an issue at all because some cars do not respond exactly as expected with the static test; you may have to perform the road test. Again, see my thread for specifics and read as much as you can on the forum. There is endless information here that is based on FACT, so you shouldn't ever have any issues.

Thanks!

You're doing the right thing by asking questions! You'll never have anyone here insult or put you down unlike other forums. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Admin

What makes you think you are running too lean?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:53 am 

Noswizard wrote:

When performing the static test, the engine wants to eagerly rev past the redline.
Here's my conundrum:

My stock fuel pressure regulator is integrated in the fuel filter near the rear of the car, so the fuel pressure is regulated before it hits the fuel rail (which is generally different from the norm). Now my WON system fuel source is tapped in the fuel rail, so in my case the WON fuel solenoid may see a lower fuel pressure at 2000 RPM = static test rpm; than during WOT.

This may be the reason why the static test appears to show a lean condition, which may be totally safe at WOT.

I'm interested in what you guys think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:41 am 
Wizard

Pepi wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

When performing the static test, the engine wants to eagerly rev past the redline.
Here's my conundrum:

My stock fuel pressure regulator is integrated in the fuel filter near the rear of the car, so the fuel pressure is regulated before it hits the fuel rail (which is generally different from the norm). Now my WON system fuel source is tapped in the fuel rail, so in my case the WON fuel solenoid may see a lower fuel pressure at 2000 RPM = static test rpm; than during WOT.

This may be the reason why the static test appears to show a lean condition, which may be totally safe at WOT.

Regardless of WHERE the fuel pressure regulator is located, the fuel pressure will be the same at the injector. Most cars these days have this style of pressure regulation including my car. Your car may be modulating the amount of power at the pump in order to regulate pressure further for more precise fuel trimming.

What is the max rpm of your engine and what max rpm is it reaching during the test?

Also what jetting are you using again, 50bhp? The more jetting you use, the faster the engine will rev up.

I'm sure we can sort this out; your car may just not respond to the static test well and you may need to go to the road test to verify your jetting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm 

Turbobox wrote:
Pepi wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

Here's my conundrum:

Regardless of WHERE the fuel pressure regulator is located, the fuel pressure will be the same at the injector. Most cars these days have this style of pressure regulation including my car. Your car may be modulating the amount of power at the pump in order to regulate pressure further for more precise fuel trimming.

What is the max rpm of your engine and what max rpm is it reaching during the test?

Also what jetting are you using again, 50bhp? The more jetting you use, the faster the engine will rev up.

I'm sure we can sort this out; your car may just not respond to the static test well and you may need to go to the road test to verify your jetting.

Interesting. The max rpm is set at 6400 rpm, I stopped the static test ~6100 rpm as it was still rising rapidly and I didn't want to hit redline where the fuel cuts out and chance having a lean backfire. That would be a bad day.

I currently have the 50HP jets until I can confirm the mixture is correct, then I plan on bumping it up to 100HP.

Today I ordered the new spark plugs which you recommended in another thread. After I've installed them I will do a road test, pull the plugs immediately and post up pictures of the results. Hopefully you will be able to decipher what the plugs show as far as my mixture is concerned.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Can you post some pics of the installation please?

What car is it?

What jet NUMBERS do you have fitted?

You should drop down to 25 HP jets to do the static test, as adding more can cause misleading results.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:55 pm 
Wizard

Pepi wrote:

Interesting. The max rpm is set at 6400 rpm, I stopped the static test ~6100 rpm as it was still rising rapidly and I didn't want to hit redline where the fuel cuts out and chance having a lean backfire. That would be a bad day.

I currently have the 50HP jets until I can confirm the mixture is correct, then I plan on bumping it up to 100HP.

I agree with the Wizard: Step down to 25bhp jets and redo the static test. It's best to start at the lowest setting to set the system up initially, then work your way up.

Today I ordered the new spark plugs which you recommended in another thread. After I've installed them I will do a road test, pull the plugs immediately and post up pictures of the results. Hopefully you will be able to decipher what the plugs show as far as my mixture is concerned.

Be sure to take similar photos as I have in my thread. We need to see the details of each plug.

Thanks for the help!