NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Colder Spark Plugs = need input if you please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:49 am 

Installed my WON system and haven't regretted it for a moment, anyone reading this that is on the fence about installing a Wizards of NOS system - you won't regret it! Thank you Trev for all, you make great products :D

Anyways, now that the salutations are out of the way my factory speced plug is the NGK (BKR6EK). I am currently running a 50HP shot on a 1999 BMW 4.4L V8 w/stock plugs. I am now planning to step up to a 100HP shot, so I should go to a colder plug if I want to preserve my motor and exhibit some intelligence :yes: .

1) Question is should I go to 1 or 2 steps colder plug running a 100HP shot?

The best suited replacement for (correct me if I am wrong) the next/1st coldest plug would be the NGK BKR7EIX Iridium, 2nd coldest BKR8EIX.

2) Is there ANY disadvantages in going with too cold of a plug?

Keep in mind that this is a daily driver and gets driven in all four seasons, with hot summers and cold winters.....if that influences your input.

Later on, I plan on advancing to a 150HP progressive shot.

3) Will the 2nd coldest plug (BKR8EIX) suffice, or will I have to find the 3rd coldest plug when running at this level?

TIA!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Colder Spark Plugs = need input if you please
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Pepi wrote:
Installed my WON system and haven't regretted it for a moment, anyone reading this that is on the fence about installing a Wizards of NOS system - you won't regret it! Thank you Trev for all, you make great products :D
Thank you for your appreciation of my products Pepi and I'm very pleased to hear that you are happy with your purchase.

Anyways, now that the salutations are out of the way my factory speced plug is the NGK (BKR6EK). I am currently running a 50HP shot on a 1999 BMW 4.4L V8 w/stock plugs. I am now planning to step up to a 100HP shot, so I should go to a colder plug if I want to preserve my motor and exhibit some intelligence :yes: .

The best suited replacement for (correct me if I am wrong) the next/1st coldest plug would be the NGK BKR7EIX Iridium, 2nd coldest BKR8EIX.

Keep in mind that this is a daily driver and gets driven in all four seasons, with hot summers and cold winters.....if that influences your input.

3) Will the 2nd coldest plug (BKR8EIX) suffice, or will I have to find the 3rd coldest plug when running at this level?

TIA!
On an engine of that size (and I would suspect quality), you probably don't need to change the plugs for a 100 HP increase and you might even be OK still at 150 HP. However, to be on the safe side you could go the 1 step harder but I wouldn't waste your money on iridiums if you can help it.
It looks like the standard plug is a dual ground strap protruded nose type and what I would do if I were you, is look for an alternative that does not have the protrusion and only has one ground strap. If you can't find any like that, I'd cut off one of the ground straps and shorten the centre electrode but you'll have to be VERY CAREFUL if you do that, to avoid any risk of damaging the porcelain or the remaining electrodes.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:40 am 
Wizard

Pepi wrote:

TIA!

Use R5671-A Stock # 4091 These are 1 step harder with a non-projected nose.

Use R5671A-8 Stock # 4554 These are 2 step, non-projected.

Both are copper core.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:49 am 

Good stuff gents, your responses are exactly what I was looking for - thanks!