NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: zetec problem
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:26 am 

Hi,I wonder if you can help me. I have a Mark 1 Fiesta with a 2 litre Zetec silver top running tin webbers producing 156 HP on a rolling road with a Nodiz mapable ignition system, I have purchased a Wizard of Nos system from ebay (second hand). i have gone through the static test procedure i disconnected the let pips and aimed the N2O to atmosphere and fuel pipe into a bottle, everything looks ok. i have then reconnected the pipes, started the engine and got p to normal temperature, wound the carbs to 2000 rpm with a 70 nozzle in the nos and 100 nozzle in the fuel and the car just cut out. i then changed to 100 in nos and 100 in fuel, the same thing happened, the car cut out, i then put 70 in fuel and 100 in nos, ad when activated the micro switch on full throttle it would rev to about 3700, so then i warmed the bottle up, i have no pressure gage on the bottle so i just put it on a 12 volt battery, and the best RPM after warming the bottle was 4500 with the 70 in fuel and 100 in nos, am i being to greedy on the jets for this static test or have i bought something dodgy from ebay? this is a direct port system, the kit bought from ebay was a single injector but i bought the direct port upgrade from powerhouse.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: zetec problem
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:10 am 
Learner

I think I would wait till you get a pressure gauge as you have no idea what pressure is in the bottle hot or cold and that will have a massive effect on static test let alone the safety of the engine especially with us coming into the summer months

I thought carb engines should be 1-1 ratio as a start point so you would need to get some jets 50n 50f you will end up buying loads of jets through the ownership of the kit so just accept you will need to buy them

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:12 am 
Learner

One more thing is post a picture of you crossfires d blocks and solenoids and the wizard will be able to see some bits for you to improve

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Good response Autosri. :yes:

Static testing should be carried out using a 50 nitrous jet and appropriate sized fuel jet.
You need to know the fuel pressure (which should be in the 5psi region), to be able to determine what jet size to start with.

It is also essential to know what the bottle pressure is to be able to judge the results, as a poor result can be attributed to low bottle pressure (rather than a problem), if the gauge indicates that to be the case.

Adding a heater is the best way to ensure consistent results regardless of weather conditions.

It would also be worth replacing the nitrous filter, as that might be restricting the nitrous flow.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:18 pm 
Wizard

Agreed, post pictures of the setup and we can make sure you're good to go.

It's also unwise to just throw jets in and do testing without knowing important things like nitrous pressure! It'll be the fast lane to the junk yard if you continue going Wild West like that.

Also, it's vital to know whether you're kit is in good working condition by letting High Power check your Pulsoids instead of operating them right away. That by itself is a big gamble as you don't know if the previous owner messed with them, ESPECIALLY from an eBay auction or ANY sort of second hand transaction!

We'll get you in good shape soon. :yes:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:32 pm 

Hi Guys, thanks for your help, special thanks to the Wizard.
I've got some 25 HP jets coming, so I can try my static test, if this doesn't go well my solenoids will be straight off to get checked, if everything is OK I will be running it to Santa pod, thanks again for all your help and sorry about the delayed reply, I've been away for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:46 pm 
Wizard

:D