NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrous advice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:33 pm 

have heard info that I should run one step colder plugs with no electrode tips for nitrous is this true?
An how far should I retard my timin?
Is their anything else I should know have read a fairbit of info just want confirmation
Setup is a mildly worked sbc turbo 400 runs 11.57 an recently just installed a sniper nitrous system 150hp shot

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous advice
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
have heard info that I should run one step colder plugs with no electrode tips for nitrous is this true?

It is highly recommended to use at least one step colder on the plug so it can dissipate the increased heat of combustion from nitrous. It is also highly recommended to use a non-projected type spark plug due to prevent the ground strap (earth strap) from glowing hot and preigniting the cylinder charge. There are NGK plugs available for SBC's that meet the specifications I've mentioned.

An how far should I retard my timin?

Each application varies with the precise amount of timing retard, but the general rule (guideline) is 2 degrees per 50 bhp increase from nitrous plus an additional 2 degrees on top for safety. For example, if you intend to use 100 bhp increase of nitrous, then you'd retard 4 degrees intial retard + 2 more = 6 degrees total retard. So if your ignition advance is say 30 degrees at peak, you'd have a resulting 24 degrees peak advance. Actual required retard will have to be experimented with to achieve the optimum without detonation.

Is their anything else I should know have read a fairbit of info just want confirmation
Setup is a mildly worked sbc turbo 400 runs 11.57 an recently just installed a sniper nitrous system 150hp shot

There are GOBS of worth while information to be had on this forum. If ever in doubt, just ask no matter how small or seemingly stupid the question. The only stupid question is the one not asked!

Also, you'll find a lot of information regarding the use of other systems than WON systems. I HIGHLY advise reading the importance of keeping on top of regular maintenance of NOS type solenoids. I recently made the switch from NOS and other brands (which I've used for YEARS) to WON and the difference is unbelievable until you compare WON results to other kits' results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

All very good and accurate information, so all I have to add is this;

If I had any sense I'd keep the following advice to myself, as without it your US brand nitrous kit would fail to deliver adequate results and you'd be more inclined to switch to a vastly superior WON system.

Obviously I don't have any of that kind of sense, so here's the knowledge you need to know about Surface Discharge (S D) plugs. Whoever told you to use S D plugs has NO idea what they are talking about and can't have even tried to use them on their own car.

BTW why is it that some people go about advising other people what to do, when they obviously have never even tried their own advice?????????

While S D plugs sound GREAT 'in principle' (no electrodes to melt off), in actual practice they fail on a more important basis.

When adding nitrous to an engine you increase the pre-combustion pressure which means you need more volts from the ignition to jump the same gap as before. If your ignition system doesn't have any surplus volts available to make the spark jump the gap at higher pressure (which most don't at some power level), the cheapest, quickest & easiest solution, is to reduce the plug gap, as it then takes less volts.

S D plugs have a FIXED & LARGE plug gap!!!!!! :idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:27 am 

So your basically tellin me my sniper solenoids arnt that great an that I should go out an get WON solenoids?
Thanks for the advice guys I'll take your word for it an see where it leads me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:18 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
So your basically tellin me my sniper solenoids arnt that great an that I should go out an get WON solenoids?

I know it stings when someone tells you something you bought with your hard-earned money isn't any good, but we're trying to avoid fellow nitrous users from costly damages caused by badly designed solenoids/kits. I've been there and done that, I've broken things with my Nitrous Express kit (followed instructions to a 't') due to bad nozzle plumes/lean hard hits, spent loads of money rebuilding NOS solenoids (I've found torn plungers on EVERY inspection, which is 20 pounds of nitrous) on another kit (just converted that one to WON and threw the old noids in the TRASH), and overall they both faded in power the longer the nitrous was activated on a 1/4 pass. The paranoia of whether my solenoids would stick open was crippling because until you have the misfortune of experiencing it, you won't realize how you're "budget minded" kit cost you thousands in repairs and possibly weeks of down time. My nitrous headaches went 10 years running until recently when I made the switch to WON.

There is even MORE to a nitrous system's performance and reliability that just the solenoids: jetting position, tubing design, and nozzle performance, just to name a few. Other nitrous systems as a whole are just no good when it comes to engine reliability and safety.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll take your word for it an see where it leads me

We want people to experience nitrous the way is SUPPOSED to be: fun and hassle-free. Nitrous has a bad name thanks to other companies' kits. They played ME for a sucker when I first got into nitrous with NX. Their marketing got me with the whole 'our kits are rated at the wheels' and 'our nozzle supports 250 hp' and what not, making it seem like you can spray 250 WHEEL hp from a single nozzle and not expect to blow up when I blew an engine with just 50 hp jetting! The nitrous just shot right into my last cylinder and detonated badly! And it only took enough time to hear it as I immediately let off, but it was already a second too late!

If I could do an apples to apples test, I'd PROVE the difference. I may see try to dig up an extra NOS solenoid and show you some of the damage from just 2 bottles of juice.

Last edited by Turbobox on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:15 pm 
Wizard

Just to show how much nitrous shit I've accumulated over time (and the fact that I'm NOT talking out of my ass), and much of it has been sold in large chunks (like a lot of ZEX garbage!). Some things are still brand new in box! I've owned all brands of kits pretty much: NOS, NX, Dynotune, Zex, Compucar, etc. All of them worked pretty much the same so I sold many parts off and just kept the NOS kit just for the ease of getting parts (at the expense of cost for the "premium" brand name):

Attachment:
File comment: My nitrous stash.
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG [ 461.13 KiB | Viewed 13480 times ]

A NOS fuel solenoid I got fed up with (almost always leaked after a bottle of juice), you can see the noid was pretty clean so no junk was getting inside of it. But what was up with the crap on the seal, chemical reaction from fuel additives?:

Attachment:
IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG [ 435.01 KiB | Viewed 13480 times ]

This was ANOTHER plunger seal that started to tear up after a rebuild (see the shiny speck?), which was replaced but that one started doing the same thing:

Attachment:
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG [ 447.14 KiB | Viewed 13480 times ]

I just got fed up with all that stress and started to look for yet ANOTHER brand of nitrous kit that would cure my need for the JUICE, and that's when I found WON. A huge argument on another nitrous forum sparked my curiosity surrounding WON claims of superiority. Not long after that I made the switch and have been loving it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 am 

Yeah shit sounds like it has being more trouble then it's worth,thanks for the heads up man I'll see how it goes an if it starts fuckin up I guess I'll buy another kit
So change the whole kit or can I leave the nitrous line an still use the bottle etc?
An can I buy this WON kit on the net?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:39 am 

Have you heard or tried the sniper system?its what they recommend at engine master Australia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:38 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
Yeah shit sounds like it has being more trouble then it's worth,thanks for the heads up man I'll see how it goes an if it starts fuckin up I guess I'll buy another kit

There are several problems with that scenario. Using the kit will drop its value greatly so you won't get much money back and also waiting for the kit to cause problems will cost you GREATLY in damaged parts. Not to mention the time and money you will waste on trying to make the system work half way decently. On top of that, you'll have a sour taste about nitrous and will not want to use it again, which further reinforces nitrous' bad reputation.

If you just sell right away, you can get a good amount of money back to go towards a RELIABLE WON kit and be happy with the crazy power your SBC will make. :yes:

So change the whole kit or can I leave the nitrous line an still use the bottle etc?

I used the NOS-to-WON conversion kit that's available, so you won't have to remove and reinstall the lines in your car all over again. OR you can get the option that replaces the braided bottle hose with nylon line for faster and smoother performance. I decided to keep my braided lines for convenience and price, the kit still hits really smoothly.

An can I buy this WON kit on the net?

Yes, that's what I did and I'm sure the wizard himself will not hesitate to assist you. That's another thing about WON, customer service that you don't pay for nor have to deal with incompetent trainees reading out of a handbook like other companies do. WON wants customers to be truly happy with their stuff and the nitrous-oxide experience as a whole! 8)

Last edited by Turbobox on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
Have you heard or tried the sniper system?its what they recommend at engine master Australia

Oh yes, I know of the Sniper series. See the pair of solenoids in my previous photo with all the parts splayed out? Imagine those two solenoids with the SNIPER + (or whatever that cross is supposed to be) sticker slapped on them; that's the same solenoid set they use. It's how they provide you with "savings", by giving the customer watered down parts instead of just lowering their prices on the main kits (AND THEY'RE PRACTICALLY THE SAME). You can go ahead and compare for yourself on the HolleyNOS website, but good luck finding any REAL specifications about their kits.

Also, most of the recommendations made by tuner shops are made in the interest of just selling you a kit. They really don't know any more about nitrous than the most other people. They get their information straight from the horse's mouth (the nitrous system "manufacturer"); because if they knew even a FRACTION of the importance of nitrous design, they would be selling WON stuff. :D

By the way, is this a carburetor sniper kit or single nozzle?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:12 pm 
Wizard

They must love you on the US forums ,your sounding like trevs press officer .. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:47 pm 
Wizard

teddybare wrote:
They must love you on the US forums ,your sounding like trevs press officer .. :D

Haha! No I don't participate in other forums anymore. I stopped going on forums altogether almost 5 years ago. I find every one of them to be flooded with ignorant fools that behave like wild animals when you try to teach them about how things are and not how they THINK they are! I think that's why I enjoy this forum so much, people here are open minded and present their arguments in a proper manner by being calm and providing evidence to support their points rather than "OMG YOUR SUCH A ****ING IDIOT BECAUSE BLAH BLAH BLAH, YO MAMA!" types of remarks. :tard:

Besides, I'm just so happy to have found nitrous products THAT WORK AND ARE RELIABLE so I can simply ENJOY nitrous the way I've always wanted. There's just something about it and I can put it on ANYTHING that burns fuel to improve performance and do it QUICKLY AND EASILY! And if I can do my part to HELP other people so they can enjoy it too, then it's worth my time and effort! :yes:

AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR THIS... it's more like doing a community service for thy fellow neighbor! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

teddybare wrote:

Very true Ted and the IMPRESSIVE part is that he has NO affiliations to my company and he's AMERICAN.
Such a shame that more people (especially American's) haven't had the WON experience to enable them to come to the same conclusions.

Unlike you all those guys have suffered at the hands of US nitrous companies and accept their deficiencies as problems TO BE EXPECTED. You on the other hand have only known the INCREDIBLE RELIABILITY OF WON.

BTW please tell these guys how long you have been using WON products and how many failures you've had.

For the record I did NOT say anything negative against the US components (in this thread) despite being inclined to do so and the comments made by Turbobox are entirely his own and they is TOTALLY INDEPENDENT of WON, so hopefully people will take more notice of them, than they have done when I've made the same comments myself in the past.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
teddybare wrote:

Haha! No I don't participate in other forums anymore. I stopped going on forums altogether almost 5 years ago. I find every one of them to be flooded with ignorant fools that behave like wild animals when you try to teach them about how things are and not how they THINK they are! I think that's why I enjoy this forum so much, people here are open minded and present their arguments in a proper manner by being calm and providing evidence to support their points rather than "OMG YOUR SUCH A ****ING IDIOT BECAUSE BLAH BLAH BLAH, YO MAMA!" types of remarks. :tard:
Couldn't agree more and that also applies to those who run them (like Steve Johnson - Yellow Bullet and Monty Smith - Nitrous Bullet) and/or moderate them.
I was banned from Yellow Bullet because I was exposing how little "The great nitrous Guru" Steve Johnson actually knew by making posts that he couldn't respond to, because he didn't understand such advanced nitrous technology.

Besides, I'm just so happy to have found nitrous products THAT WORK AND ARE RELIABLE so I can simply ENJOY nitrous the way I've always wanted. There's just something about it and I can put it on ANYTHING that burns fuel to improve performance and do it QUICKLY AND EASILY! And if I can do my part to HELP other people so they can enjoy it too, then it's worth my time and effort! :yes:

AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR THIS... it's more like doing a community service for thy fellow neighbor! :D

I'm VERY grateful to you for taking the trouble to post and it's very rewarding to know that I've saved at least one person from the US nitrous junk heap.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:39 pm 
Wizard

well i had a quick look up of my first endeavour into nitrous, started with my e46 diesel and now its on my mx5, so its about 6 ish years :shock: wow how time flies..i reckon i am a baby compered to other members ..but hand on heart not ONE problem in all that time and if there was ever a hiccup im man enough to say it was me either not fastening something or not opening the bottle one time :D
talk about being spoilt ;) so personally i have nothing but good to say about my nitrous experience (with WON of course) and yet i still get negative remarks about nitrous in mx5 forums and some of the garages i have used for other bits,they do tend to have one thing in common..they have never had a nitrous system or a reliable one 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

You know what saddens me most, is that I've spent 35 YEARS making the best nitrous products in the world, to save people from the risk of FIREBALLS etc., that I experienced with MY first use of US brand nitrous kits and trying to educate the world, that nitrous doesn't have to cause the problems that US kits cause and yet the majority of people out there STILL BLAME NITROUS, rather than blaming the REAL CAUSE which is GREEDY, SELF INTERESTED, BRAINDEAD ASSHOLES that don't give a shit about their customers, who run the numerous US nitrous companies.

NOT ONE of the owners of the US nitrous companies cares one little bit about their customers, otherwise they would have been eager to stop buying their cheap generic junk from their existing suppliers and bought/sold my far more reliable and far safer products instead.

EVERY ONE OF THEM is fully aware of my products and they KNOW they are MUCH BETTER than those they sell and yet the STILL CHOOSE to sell UNRELIABLE, UNSUITABLE & UNSAFE products.

I've informed many people about this particular example but it warrants being said again;
Many years ago after Holley had just purchased the NOS company, Holley secretly bought some of my Pulsoids and put them through EXTREME testing (firing them for 10 seconds, then leaving them off for 2 minutes and then repeated the process 24/7 for SIX MONTHS), before inviting me to visit their HQ.
By the time I went over they had concluded that my Pulsoids were indestructible and I'd also discovered that they'd done that, so I went over thinking that they wanted to buy/sell them instead of their JUNK.
What they ACTUALLY wanted was MY OPINION of the FLAWS in their products but why they wanted that and why they went to the trouble of such extreme testing of my Pulsoids, is still a mystery to me for the following reason.
After they had acknowledge how impressive my Pulsoids were, I asked their TOP brass if they were intending to purchase them and their answer was this;
"Oh NO we couldn't do that, as we MAKE MORE PROFIT on our sales of solenoid SOLENOID SERVICE KITS than we do on ANY OTHER product, so we'd be cutting our own throats to do that".
Needless to say I was STUNNED at such a DISGUSTING attitude but Holley were in no way unique in holding this attitude, as I've had similar responses from ALL the US nitrous companies I've approached to buy my products.
I called one company up (NS) and asked; "Would you like to offer your customers better products?" and one of their TOP men replied "NO".

Since then HolleyNOS has denied even testing my Pulsoids and their front man Monty Smith has accused me of lying about it but as he wasn't even old enough to be employed by Holley at the time and the conversation was JUST between myself and the TOP brass at Holley (which Monty Smith has never been and will never be), I'm the ONLY person who knows that IT'S THE TRUTH!!!!!

If it wasn't the truth and now that EVERYONE KNOWS that WON Pulsoids are VASTLY SUPERIOR to ANY other solenoid, HolleyNOS (and the rest) WOULD BE BUYING THEM!!!!!! :idea:

NX were the ONLY company to show any interest but they were ONLY prepared to buy my Pulsoids if it was at the same price as the junk they were buying and when I refused they wouldn't pay even a slightly higher price. They then decided to TRY and copy my Pulsoid design but when they found they couldn't make them for anywhere near the price of their junk solenoids, they decided to compromise and copy JUST the base and material (alloy) but keep the same JUNK internals and just to make them look nicer (so they'd sell better), they put a carbon fiber coil cover on them and called them Lightning solenoids. Unfortunately for their customers, the FACT of the matter is that those solenoids are WORSE than the JUNK they previously sold, as they MESSED UP by copying the least important parts and changed a key part for a worse material.

What WORRIES ME EVEN MORE is the fact that this SAME ATTITUDE is held by the VAST MAJORITY of people running the VAST MAJORITY OF COMPANIES, so there will be vastly superior designs and products available for many of our needs BUT GREEDY ASSHOLES will be withholding them from US, because they can make more profit from selling us JUNK.

I'd bet all I own that there are cheaper and better ways to create propulsion for our cars etc. and cures for the common cold and possibly even Cancer, etc. but because the people leading those market sectors know they make MORE PROFIT by keeping things exactly as they are, WE ALL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!!!!!

SUCH PEOPLE ARE SELFISH BASTARDS & I HOPE THEY GO TO HELL!!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 pm 
Wizard

Oh boy, the fuse on this thread has just been lit! :D

Noswizard wrote:
teddybare wrote:

Very true Ted and the IMPRESSIVE part is that he has NO affiliations to my company and he's AMERICAN.

Imagine what I COULD do if I did!

Unlike you all those guys have suffered at the hands of US nitrous companies and accept their deficiencies as problems TO BE EXPECTED. You on the other hand have only known the INCREDIBLE RELIABILITY OF WON.

Speaking of deficiencies, I'll tell you just how GENERIC and CHEAP their parts are. I work in the aviation industry as a technician, and I often have problems with the coffee makers on board Airbus aircraft so I change them out frequently. One day I did a detailed inspection as to WHY a particular one failed just to satisfy my curiosity, and wouldn't you know it, a solenoid THAT HAS THE SAME DESIGN AS OTHER NITROUS KITS failed and refused to open, preventing WATER to pass through the coffee maker. And that's for A LOUSY MACHINE THAT MAKES A LOUSY COFFEE! Imagine the responsibility OTHER nitrous kits have by supplying NITROUS-OXIDE and FUEL to an ENGINE! I'll take a photo when I can to PROVE THIS! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

For the record I did NOT say anything negative against the US components (in this thread) despite being inclined to do so and the comments made by Turbobox are entirely his own and they is TOTALLY INDEPENDENT of WON, so hopefully people will take more notice of them, than they have done when I've made the same comments myself in the past.

I've spent A LOT of time and money trying to find a nitrous kit that had the reliability I was looking for, but every kit I experimented with was just as crappy as the next. I didn't use them on any of my cars because of the risk of failure, I just tooled around with them on a little test bench with a few home-made gadgets. Every one I tried just didn't cut it and I pretty much just gave up and kept using this one NOS kit (the one I JUST converted from) since it really didn't matter which freakin' kit I used. The only thing I could do is CONSTANTLY CHECK/REBUILD it just to get my nitrous cravings satisfied. The only other thing I could do is pull my spark plugs out on a regular basis to keep an eye on one HOT cylinder so that I could identify any signs of detonation. It was so monotonous that I kind of stopped using nitrous for a long while. :tard: :evil:

The funny thing is that I've heard about WON once or twice but I never bothered to look deeply into it because I figured it was just going to be more of the same junk I was already using. Then I pretty much just stopped looking up information on nitrous and tried to move on in my own way. Only recently, did I start lurking forums again and found an argument that led to the investigation of WON products.

Also, when I was performing my experiments years ago, I began to wonder why in the HELL nitrous kits were using solenoids and jets to deliver nitrous and fuel to the engine anyway. With the need to meter the mediums to get a certain quantity of them to the destination, why have a component that only opens and closes in a discrete form just to pass it through a metering component? I thought that it was a primitive form of delivery and that a CONTINUOUS method of delivering the nitrous and fuel to the engine was a FAR BETTER method of control (like a faucet valve). Then shortly after finding WON this year, I realized that this is EXACTLY WHAT THE REVO DOES! That's when I really knew that there was something special about High Power Systems and that they were ACTUALLY THINKING THE WAY I WAS! Now I feel like I've wasted so much time on other SHIT nitrous kits instead of just having fun by using a WON kit, that I am INCLINED to participate in any way that I can to bring people to the light.

I think that Trev and I have a very similar way of thinking and that's why our posts seem to be almost parallel in style. It's just a shame that only now did I discover this. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:05 am 
Site Admin

:salute: Outstanding post and I just hope you manage to save others from the curse of US nitrous kits, as I'm very close to giving up on my 35 year battle to do so. Luckily I have a few worthy successors who will carry on the battle but it will take every smart guy out there, to beat this message through the skulls of the masses of dumb ass fools who refuse to accept THE FACTS, so all your help is welcome. :salute:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:00 pm 
Wizard

And here's the PROOF!!! :pukeleft:

Attachments:
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG [ 458.88 KiB | Viewed 13418 times ]
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG [ 458.9 KiB | Viewed 13418 times ]
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG [ 418.62 KiB | Viewed 13418 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:43 am 

What am I lookin for when I read a plug after a pass?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:59 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
What am I lookin for when I read a plug after a pass?

Assuming your shutting down the engine IMMEDIATELY after your passes, you're looking for NO CHANGE from a non-nitrous power pass and a nitrous power pass. The plugs (and I mean ALL plugs) should look clean and almost new with no overheating, melting/ distortion, or carbon/metal particles on the porcelain.

Ideally, a plug that looks PERFECTLY WHITE on the porcelain base with no signs of distortion, melting, or carbon/metal deposits would be the optimum nitrous mixture. But that's teetering on the edge for the hardcore racers. Meaning EVERYTHING from climate to the exact bottle pressure must be damn near where you need it to be.

Street cars should be slightly rich for safety and any atmospheric changes or slightly elevated bottle pressures.

What is slightly rich? A set of plugs showing a noticeably TAN color around the ENTIRE base of the plugs' porcelains with a clean/white appearance near the electrode is the desired target. This gives you a good margin of safety without sacrificing performance much. A BLACK/SOOTY appearance is too rich and the car will not feel strong on the nitrous. Additionally, you'll be looking like a dirty diesel with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

What is too lean? A plug (note singular) that is too lean will show NO tan color around the base and ANY of the following: have a blue/purple color near the ground (earth) strap base; show melting at the electrode tip and ground strap tip; contain black carbon and/or metal deposits near the top of the porcelain base (this is detonation and you MUST find the problem quickly). And that's just to cover a few of many signs that the jetting needs more fuel. NOTE: For rich I said a set of plugs and for lean I said A plug, that means that there could be a set of plugs on an engine that could indicate RICH, yet just ONE or MORE could indicate LEAN, which means there is a dispersion problem or maybe a problem in general with that cylinder causing it to burn the improper mixture ratio.

Here are some pics to help you, they come from MY own car that is jetted SAFELY for EVERYDAY USE:

Attachment:
plug analysis.jpg
plug analysis.jpg [ 71.12 KiB | Viewed 13404 times ]

Note the timing mark and that there is no color distortion. YOUR timing marks may be in a different position, ideally the closest to the plug base without loss in performance or detonation. But some engines produce more overall power with less timing depending on their design.; it boils down to experimentation.
Attachment:
Timing_marks.jpg
Timing_marks.jpg [ 124.71 KiB | Viewed 13404 times ]

Always identify the cylinder where the plug came from to troubleshoot problems.
Attachment:
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG [ 427.87 KiB | Viewed 13404 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:18 pm 

So your sayin I should shut down the car whilst still in full throttle or would it be okay to brake come to a stop then shut it down it will that not give me a proper readin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:45 pm 
Wizard

J mills91 wrote:
So your sayin I should shut down the car whilst still in full throttle or would it be okay to brake come to a stop then shut it down it will that not give me a proper readin

You want to close the throttle THEN shut down immediately after and coast to a stop. It only takes a few seconds worth of combustion cycles to erase the conditions the plug was under during full power whether it's a nitrous pass or not.

A common mistake is for people to continue driving to the pits (or even a short distance), check plugs, and assume that the tune they're running is good when in reality the results are useless at that point.

Condensed procedure:
FULL POWER > RELEASE THROTTLE > SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATELY to a STOP > PULL ALL PLUGS

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:43 am 
Site Admin

EXCELLENT post and again there is very little I can add to that, other than the first 'obvious' sign of a plug that is struggling to cope with the extra heat of combustion, is the tip of the ground electrode has swollen and if you see that, you have had a VERY CLOSE escape as a second or so more and the electrode would have melted off and got stock on the exhaust valve seat, and any longer than that and you'd be seeing burned exhaust valves/seats, followed by damaged piston.

The solution to avoiding that problem, is to modify the ground electrodes as described in my book.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 am 

Sounds like abit of a tricky process obviously id have to put it into nuetral before shuttin it off
Full throttle put it in nuetral an then shit off as quick as possible?