NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrous Bottle's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 am 

I have a 15lb bottle which came with a Moroso kit about 20 years ago. The bottle is like new, still some nitrous in it, polished aluminium, no scratches, dents or damage. Will I have any issues getting this bottle filled by a reputable dealer?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Nitrous Bottle's
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 am 

I can't speak for how the nitrous degrades over time, but I recently try to fill a bottle which was 10 years old.
My local nitrous refiller would not refill it as the the pressure certification stamped on the bottle ran out (it is good for 5 years in my jurisdiction). I had to have it tested & recertified by a local cylinder pressure testing company, which they did no problem and it cost me ~$20.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 am 

If you are in the US, Nitrous Outlet has a bottle replacement exchange program, something like send your bottle and I think its 100$ and you get a new bottle. I have not done it, but its a pretty cool program.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Nitrous doesn't degrade so no problem on that front.

If you are in the UK it is actually illegal to fill US brand bottles as they are not tested to a high enough specification. However, that does not stop many people doing so despite breaking the law, as nobody bothers to enforce it.
Recertification is basically a scam (as I've never seen a UK bottle suffer even the slightest level of degradation) but the only legit way to use an out of date UK bottle.

If you are outside Europe I can't say what the rules/laws are.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 pm 
Wizard

I'm currently using a nitrous bottle with 5 year-old nitrous, no performance or reliability penalty.

U.S. recertification is just a hydrostatic test with water. The bottle is pressurized to X amount of pressure (5000 psig or something around there); if it holds with no sign of leakage or deformation, then it's recertified and a new date stamped on the bottle. It's cheap to do if you can find a place to have it done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:40 pm 

Thanks for all the replys. The question really was about the bottle and not the nitrous inside, and if I could get it filled ok.
If, as mentioned in the thread, even if it is illegal to fill US bottles in the UK it would seem that it is no issue to get mine filled with all the blue Nitrous Oxide Systems bottles out there being filled regularly.
I live in Aberdeen, lots of pressure testing and bottle companies around here, involved in the Oil business in the North Sea, so I will give it a try to get mine tested and certificated.
What is disturbing is the current news about Nitrous misuse/abuse, where do they get it from?

Al

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure where they get it from but I've no idea why they even bother, as I've HAD to breathe in TONS of nitrous oxide over the years while testing and it's never had ANY effect on me that I'd waste money on to repeat it.
I guess it's like the Emperor's invisible cloak, some con man tells a dope that sniffing nitrous will give him a great high, so the dope fools himself in to believing it is doing that to him.

Furthermore I've no idea what all the concern is about, as its a damn sight less of a problem than ANY other means of getting a high even if it worked. Alcohol is a MASS MURDERER & RUINS MILLIONS OF LIVES and yet the entire world is happy to allow that to continue and its even encouraged.

The funniest thing is that CO2 would have the same effect as N2O and it costs a small fraction of the cost and is far more readily available, so the whole thing is a FARCE!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:26 am 

Next question is-
My Moroso bottle has a 1/4npt male outlet, and I have female 4an nitrous hose. Is there an adaptor available?
I guess I could make a piece of steel pipe with 1/4npt one end with a nipple, and 4an or even 6an then reduce down again for the other end, as an adaptor but really this would not a satisfactory or good looking solution.
Might need to buy a new bottle.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

We should have one of those available, so please drop me an email to trev@noswizard.com and I'll check that for you on Monday.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)