NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOS to WON kit: INSTALLED! Chevrolet Sonic 1.4T
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:09 am 
Site Admin

:yes: 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:08 am 
Wizard

Well, the deed is done and I AM TOTALLY WASTED LOL!! I'm so exhausted of hashing it out all day with this high humidity that I'm officially seeing stars right now :drunken:

Anyway, the next step is to run in the clutch and go for more nitrous! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
Well, the deed is done and I AM TOTALLY WASTED LOL!! I'm so exhausted of hashing it out all day with this high humidity that I'm officially seeing stars right now :drunken:

Anyway, the next step is to run in the clutch and go for more nitrous! :twisted:

looking forward to the updates :yes:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 am 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
looking forward to the updates :yes:

Here's an update for ya...

I HAD THE BEST CRUISE EVER on the LOVELY NECTAR!!!

The weather yesterday was ABSOLUTE CRAP with nonstop rain but today was BEAUTIFUL weather with a nice warm 24*C / 75*F with nice gusty breezes, so I decided to take the Sonic out for a spin since I just finished up the clutch upgrade.

I was so happy with this clutch and its clamping force that I had to hit the juice on my route and my cam to record the action for a vid. With a mere 25 HP, the tires in first gear were aching to grip that it just made me grin from ear-to-ear! Even second gear made the tires struggle for grip in certain instances. I did standing starts, rolling starts, traffic passing (downshifting to 3k RPM at the most), and even some nice slow turns while hammering the juice! The car just absolutely pulled and it felt really REALLY AWESOME for such a little econo box, mind you that I have my GS with ~400 HP at its current setting.

I was missing out BIG TIME with the old wimpy clutch setup! Now, this cruise was two-fold as I wanted to find out what the issue is past 5k with the intake popping noises. And I've concluded that the heat from the stock exhaust back-pressure + increased boost + grade 7 NGK plugs + additional nitrous power = too much heat in the combustion chamber that it's lighting off the intake charge.

I can hit it all day long below 5k without any issue, however I cannot progress any further without some free flowing exhaust. So, I'll just have to keep it below that limit until I can procure an electrically actuated exhaust cut out. With that, it's BUKU power with the juice!

It was such a good ride that I was sure to have a fun video to show all of you... EXCEPT THAT I DIDN'T RECORD A DAMN THING!! :evil: I thought the cam was recording everything and the whole time it just did nothing because I forgot to hit "record"! :beatstick:

Oh well, I'll get some more footage some other day. I'm pretty disappointed about that but the day was still freakin' AWESOME, thanks to the LOVELY NECTAR! :drunken:

My best dyno record during this outing...

Attachment:
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG [ 178.77 KiB | Viewed 15922 times ]

it's obvious that the restriction past 4500 is handicapping the REAL potential of this car with the 25 jetting. :cheers:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear you had that much fun - can you post a dyno print out of a run without nitrous?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:21 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Glad to hear you had that much fun - can you post a dyno print out of a run without nitrous?

Like this one?

Attachment:
stockvsn2o.jpg
stockvsn2o.jpg [ 478.8 KiB | Viewed 15908 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Perfect :yes:

Seriously choked and may actually be the exhaust turbine aspect ratio being too small but hopefully either it is the exhaust or at least a free flowing exhaust will help to improve things.

I'm surprised that such a small turbo engine has such a low peak RPM, even as standard.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Perfect :yes:

Seriously choked and may actually be the exhaust turbine aspect ratio being too small but hopefully either it is the exhaust or at least a free flowing exhaust will help to improve things.

I'm surprised that such a small turbo engine has such a low peak RPM, even as standard.

Peak RPM is actually 6,500 except I start popping right at 5K no matter what I do. Most people complain that the turbo runs out of steam passed 5,500 with exhaust upgrades anyway so I figure that I'm not making things any better by forcing it to make more power :omgrofl:

The car may or may not get the exhaust treatment, even though it rips plenty for my purposes. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 pm 
Wizard

Soooooo... I figured out my problem with the 5K wall and it was because...

BOTH OF MY JUNK U.S. BOTTLES WERE EMPTY!!! :evil:

As I mentioned in this thread ( Geez, what an adventure: Went to Refill My JUNK US Bottles ), my second bottle that's been "full" and sitting around for an entire year (up until last week) was placed in my Sonic in order to rule out an empty bottle as the cause for my 5K issue. I figured that it was the A/F mixture being too rich and dropping power, but when I changed the bottle to the "fresh" one, it didn't change anything and skewed my perception of the problem. Now, I had the feeling that the bottle was feeling pretty light to me but I dismissed that little detail (a fatal mistake on my end) and I proceeded to install it in the Sonic. Of course, the end result was that I was fighting a battle that could not be solved.

Of course after installing the exhaust cutout and refilling the bottles yet again (especially after discovering that the bottle DID leak out almost all of the nitrous), the car NOW PULLS THROUGHOUT ALL RPM WITH EASE!!! :yes: And it makes no difference whether the cutout is open or closed, except the extra power increase from the increase exhaust flow :D

So now I'm super happy and I can't wait to finally up the jetting just a bit (35 or 40 bhp) and really have a sleeping micro motored street fighter! :salute: :yes: :D :albino:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:43 pm 
Learner

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue :yes:

I didnt realise you could up the power from 25bhp in small increments...

I was under the illusion the next step up from 25bhp was 50bhp....

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
Glad you got to the bottom of the issue :yes:

I didnt realise you could up the power from 25bhp in small increments...

I was under the illusion the next step up from 25bhp was 50bhp....

The beauty of nitrous is the ability to step up or down in power with either large or fine increments, meaning you can set just about any amount of hp you want (to the limit of your kit of course)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Soooooo... I figured out my problem with the 5K wall and it was because...

BOTH OF MY JUNK U.S. BOTTLES WERE EMPTY!!! :evil:

As I mentioned in this thread ( Geez, what an adventure: Went to Refill My JUNK US Bottles ), my second bottle that's been "full" and sitting around for an entire year (up until last week) was placed in my Sonic in order to rule out an empty bottle as the cause for my 5K issue. I figured that it was the A/F mixture being too rich and dropping power, but when I changed the bottle to the "fresh" one, it didn't change anything and skewed my perception of the problem. Now, I had the feeling that the bottle was feeling pretty light to me but I dismissed that little detail (a fatal mistake on my end) and I proceeded to install it in the Sonic. Of course, the end result was that I was fighting a battle that could not be solved.

Of course after installing the exhaust cutout and refilling the bottles yet again (especially after discovering that the bottle DID leak out almost all of the nitrous), the car NOW PULLS THROUGHOUT ALL RPM WITH EASE!!! :yes: And it makes no difference whether the cutout is open or closed, except the extra power increase from the increase exhaust flow :D

So now I'm super happy and I can't wait to finally up the jetting just a bit (35 or 40 bhp) and really have a sleeping micro motored street fighter! :salute: :yes: :D :albino:

Excellent news and from this experience I'm sure you've learned that the first thing to do when assessing a nitrous related issue is; MAKE SURE THE BOTTLE IS FULL!!!! This is the FIRST RULE of nitrous use. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:54 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Excellent news and from this experience I'm sure you've learned that the first thing to do when assessing a nitrous related issue is; MAKE SURE THE BOTTLE IS FULL!!!! This is the FIRST RULE of nitrous use. ;)

As I mentioned before, that second bottle was SUPPOSED to be full since I never used it and it never occurred to me that it leaked out almost all of the nitrous so I THOUGHT I had eliminated the lack of nitrous as a factor, which is why I began hypothesizing other possible causes. It wasn't until I went to get BOTH bottles topped off that I realized what had happened. :loser: :blackeye:

Even today, I rechecked the secondary bottle and there WAS STILL a microleak present and I had lost almost a LB of nitrous overnight :evil: . But now, I solved that issue permanently and I will continue to monitor the bottle's weight to make sure that the JUNK valve doesn't leak anymore of the lovely nectar. :albino:

In summary, I've learned my lesson and I'll ALWAYS measure a bottle prior to its installation on the car. :beatstick:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

As I mentioned before, that second bottle was SUPPOSED to be full since I never used it and it never occurred to me that it leaked out almost all of the nitrous so I THOUGHT I had eliminated the lack of nitrous as a factor, which is why I began hypothesizing other possible causes. It wasn't until I went to get BOTH bottles topped off that I realized what had happened. :loser: :blackeye:

Even today, I rechecked the secondary bottle and there WAS STILL a microleak present and I had lost almost a LB of nitrous overnight :evil: . But now, I solved that issue permanently and I will continue to monitor the bottle's weight to make sure that the JUNK valve doesn't leak anymore of the lovely nectar. :albino:

In summary, I've learned my lesson and I'll ALWAYS measure a bottle prior to its installation on the car. :beatstick:

AND prior to any critical testing, if that's any length of time after the bottle was filled. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:42 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Turbobox wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

AND prior to any critical testing, if that's any length of time after the bottle was filled. ;)

For sure!

And I can't wait to get some more dyno data with the improved results. I'm confident that a progressive 70 can be achieved on pump fuel (turbo & nitrous = love) and would put a grin on anyone's face knowing it's a mere 1.4 liter! If all goes well with that, I may go for some timed runs at Orlando Dragway and compare times with and without the lovely nectar! (I COULD do timed runs with PerfExpert App but there is NO place to do it in my area and I'm certainly not dumb enough to do 1/4 mile runs on public roads where the local authorities are sure to slap the irons on me! :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
For sure!

And I can't wait to get some more dyno data with the improved results. I'm confident that a progressive 70 can be achieved on pump fuel (turbo & nitrous = love) and would put a grin on anyone's face knowing it's a mere 1.4 liter! If all goes well with that, I may go for some timed runs at Orlando Dragway and compare times with and without the lovely nectar! (I COULD do timed runs with PerfExpert App but there is NO place to do it in my area and I'm certainly not dumb enough to do 1/4 mile runs on public roads where the local authorities are sure to slap the irons on me! :omgrofl:

Talking of speeding and slapping irons on, I've been caught speeding 3 times while in the USA and LUCKILY, I've been able to blag my way out of any repercussions from any of them.
The funniest/best was when a HUGE 7 foot black officer pulled me up. I quickly took off my false leg and positioned it where he could see it, as he walked towards the car. I wound the window down and he started by asking me for documents that I didn't have, he then told me that was an imprisonable offense (in some American terms I didn't fully understand at the time) and then he asked me to get out of my car and get into his. I replied saying sorry but I couldn't do that, as my leg was sore from so much driving and I'd had to take off my false leg, so I was now unable to walk until I applied some medication to it.
He quickly decided that I was going to be more trouble to him than I was worth and told me to drive on but make sure I kept to the speed limits. :-)

There's not many times when it's an advantage to be minus a leg but that was certainly one of them. :twisted:

BTW how stupid is it for the speed limits to be SO LOW in such a HUGE country!!!! It takes FOREVER to get anywhere at those speeds and it's murder trying to stay awake, when the roads are so straight and all you can see is miles and miles of the same views. INSANE!!!!
There's a small island off the coast of England that is hardly visible on a map and yet they have a 100 mph speed limit, how the hell do such wide variances happen in life????

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:02 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
I'm certainly not dumb enough to do 1/4 mile runs on public roads where the local authorities are sure to slap the irons on me! :omgrofl:

I normally drive a little out of town to do any testing, out in the country a little where the roads are quieter, and the chance of seeing the police are less.

mind you it doesnt seem to be such a serious offence speeding in the uk... and the speed limits are weird over here.

we have a limit of 70mph on the big motorways where its mile after mile of smooth straightish road.... yet a tight narrow twisting country lane is often 60mph :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:21 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
Turbobox wrote:
I'm certainly not dumb enough to do 1/4 mile runs on public roads where the local authorities are sure to slap the irons on me! :omgrofl:

I normally drive a little out of town to do any testing, out in the country a little where the roads are quieter, and the chance of seeing the police are less.

mind you it doesnt seem to be such a serious offence speeding in the uk... and the speed limits are weird over here.

we have a limit of 70mph on the big motorways where its mile after mile of smooth straightish road.... yet a tight narrow twisting country lane is often 60mph :scratch:

Yea I don't have much of that luxury here, and also if I break down, it would be quite the adventure getting back home.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:13 pm 
Wizard

50 jetting test fire plume both pulsed and fixed... just for fun :D

Look at the effect of Bernoulli's principle in action... there is 0 fuel pressure in the system and if you look at the red fuel pipe, you can see the air bubbles move when nitrous flows through the injector... Trev has really done a spectacular job with his designs. :yes:

Crossfire FIRED

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
50 jetting test fire plume both pulsed and fixed... just for fun :D

Look at the effect of Bernoulli's principle in action... there is 0 fuel pressure in the system and if you look at the red fuel pipe, you can see the air bubbles move when nitrous flows through the injector... Trev has really done a spectacular job with his designs. :yes:

Crossfire FIRED

You'd be AMAZED how many of the JUNK nozzles actually cause BACKPRESSURE in the fuel system, due to TERRIBLE design work.

Is the Crossfire as far into the hose as possible, if not you would get even better results by making it protrude further and if you can't do that, try applying some tension to tilt the nozzle so it fires upward away from the induction pipe wall by say 10 degrees or so.
I've actually designed that discharge angle into the latests Crossfire X2's to ensure all my future customers benefit from that enhancement. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:00 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
You'd be AMAZED how many of the JUNK nozzles actually cause BACKPRESSURE in the fuel system, due to TERRIBLE design work.

Is the Crossfire as far into the hose as possible, if not you would get even better results by making it protrude further and if you can't do that, try applying some tension to tilt the nozzle so it fires upward away from the induction pipe wall by say 10 degrees or so.
I've actually designed that discharge angle into the latests Crossfire X2's to ensure all my future customers benefit from that enhancement. ;)

It appears that way because I had to contort the pipe a bit so that it would stay in one place for filming. I even went and double checked to make sure that it was aimed correctly after reviewing that video.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:07 am 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 pm 
Wizard

I just performed another road test with the 50 hp combo and this time, I reduced the spark gaps from 28 thou to 24 and it did improve the performance of the car some, but I'm still breaking up at about 55k. I can hear the car spit with the cutout open, but overall it does perform (although I'm sure I'm leaving some power on the table). As always, the dispersion is perfect among cylinders and the plugs are slightly rich at 1050 psi pressure.

On the next outing I'll have the gaps reduced to 21 thousandths to see if the breakup is resolved.

P.S.

The car feels pretty good at 50 hp on the hit, a nice smooth and powerful acceleration. If I can solve the issues with the weak spark, then I'm confident that a progressive 75 will work awesomely. :yes:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

:yes: 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:23 am 
Wizard

5K Wall Defeated!

:yes:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next