NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOS to WON kit: INSTALLED! Chevrolet Sonic 1.4T
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:04 pm 
Wizard

Quick update:

Everything has been working great with my WON system! It is a great feeling when I can crack open the bottle and hit the system on the way to the bank or the market without worrying about failures. And yes, I hit the nitrous quite often when coming out of turns! It feels especially good when powering out of a slow turn! :D Anyone who thinks nitrous works only in a straight line is a FOOL! :omgrofl:

I still have some issues with the clutch not being able to keep up, but I do have a MaxExtreme mocked-up inside the car to help alleviate that problem somewhat. Unfortunately, my time is too limited to finish installing it at the moment, even though I want to mess around with it.

I have to practically rewire the system in order to hook up the MaxExtreme the way I want to. There are so many features that it is capable of, and I plan to hook up extra accessories to be controlled by the MX. I also have to mention how well-built the unit is just from initial inspection; most other controllers I've seen are flimsy and feel cheap. Once I get some experience with it, I'll update this thread noting my experiences.

I'm finally running out of nitrous in the NOS bottle that I've had filled 10 years ago. You can definitely tell the difference in power nitrous makes when the car starts shuddering from bubbles in the nitrous lines. It's time to throw in an fresh tank! :twisted:

HAPPY SPRAYING!!! :cheers: :yes:

Attachments:
IMG_1324.JPG
IMG_1324.JPG [ 383.09 KiB | Viewed 16187 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Quick update:

Everything has been working great with my WON system! It is a great feeling when I can crack open the bottle and hit the system on the way to the bank or the market without worrying about failures. And yes, I hit the nitrous quite often when coming out of turns! It feels especially good when powering out of a slow turn! :D Anyone who thinks nitrous works only in a straight line is a FOOL! :omgrofl:
Couldn't agree more, I've had most of my best fun off the straights. :twisted: :yes:

I still have some issues with the clutch not being able to keep up, but I do have a MaxExtreme mocked-up inside the car to help alleviate that problem somewhat. Unfortunately, my time is too limited to finish installing it at the moment, even though I want to mess around with it.
You could just wire up the basics as that shouldn't take long and the Max is already programmed so you could put it to some use immediately.

I have to practically rewire the system in order to hook up the MaxExtreme the way I want to. There are so many features that it is capable of, and I plan to hook up extra accessories to be controlled by the MX. I also have to mention how well-built the unit is just from initial inspection; most other controllers I've seen are flimsy and feel cheap. Once I get some experience with it, I'll update this thread noting my experiences.
We'll be looking forward to that.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:00 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:

You could just wire up the basics as that shouldn't take long and the Max is already programmed so you could put it to some use immediately.

I know I could do a quick wire-up, but I'd rather wire things up in proper form so that it's not a mess and looks clean. Plus, I want to have some prewiring laid out for accessories that I want the MX to control. I would just rather do things the right way ONCE rather than quick rigging over and over again. I'll be taking delivery of my house soon and having the garage to do the work will help me finalize the install. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Always the best way but I wasn't recommending a quick/poor job, just doing a good job of the minimum requirements to get it in to use. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:25 am 
Wizard

Yea I misread your post. I was still waking up. :pukeleft:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm 
Wizard

Another quick update:

I've had some issues with my car missing on nitrous for the past few weeks, but it was a simple and free fix: click here for that thread. It just goes to show that most problems don't need money thrown at them to go away.

Be careful when handling 1 piece coil packs, they need to go in as straight as possible to make contact with the spark plugs properly:

Attachment:
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG [ 269.46 KiB | Viewed 16145 times ]

I also kept hearing a hissing noise every time the boost would increase. I found a tear in my charge pipe where I mounted my crossfire injector; it allowed air to escape and reduced engine power. I repaired this with a special, fuel-resistant sealant for aircraft; this stuff is good for speeds in excess of 400 mph. It formed VERY strong bonds with other materials so it was perfect to repair the damage. The only downside is that it is VERY MESSY to work with, on the other hand it cures within 30 minutes. The repair looks ugly, but it works extremely well and I can clean it up with a sharp knife. Now, my engine feels strong and smooth; on nitrous, WHOA, it spins tires like crazy and the clutch just can't hold the extra torque in 3rd gear and beyond!

I'm buying a stronger clutch, the Max Extreme isn't going to be able to save the clutch from becoming a burned pancake.

Attachment:
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG [ 324.83 KiB | Viewed 16145 times ]

Finally, I bought some extra goodies like nitrous filters just to have on hand. I also bought some other things to test the limits of my fuel pump capability: plugs to stick in the crossfire and larger jets.

Attachment:
IMG_1355.JPG
IMG_1355.JPG [ 123 KiB | Viewed 16145 times ]

HAPPY SPRAYING! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

So you were VERY HAPPY with the results up to finding the leak and now you are EVEN HAPPIER..... it doesn't get any better than that. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:58 pm 
Wizard

Precisely! :D :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:05 pm 
Learner

Can't beat I nice free fix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:53 pm 
Wizard

Autosri wrote:
Can't beat I nice free fix

Sure can't!

I wanted to post a prime example of why people shouldn't be so quick to blame a WON kit for problems. Also, it's an example of why PROPER troubleshooting is essential to avoid unnecessary expense. I've seen people spend hundreds of dollars for a problem like mine. The major issue is that people just don't know what they're doing and they end up listening to other internet "experts".

Poor bastards...

I can say that this forum is so enjoyable at the fact that there are people here who know what they're doing instead of those sand-trap car forums full of dumb-asses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

COULDN'T AGREE MORE ON ALL COUNTS!!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

BTW whenever I've had such an 'expert' try to mislead people on this forum, they've been corrected and if they've refused to accept my superior knowledge, they've been banned.
Now that may sound extremely arrogant but it's not about that, as my primary reason for this forum, is to ENSURE THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE and to counteract all the BS that is everywhere else you look.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:22 am 
Wizard

Update:

Not much with the car. But check out my new pet project! Click here for Project G-O-D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:18 pm 
Wizard

Last edited by Turbobox on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:20 pm 
Wizard

I now know that my Sonic can do 300 HP... all I need is the FUEL, EXHAUST, AND CLUTCH!

Psych, I'm not modding my car all that much LOL!

Here's a dyno vid of a Sonic 1.4 with a larger turbo and supporting modifications.

SONIC 1.4T DYNO VIDEO BY MPFAB

However, anyone who wishes to make this much power can do it easily with WON!!

Imagine how far that car can go with a WON system and a nitrous controller... it can tailor the torque/power curve in any form the user wishes!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Impressive and so true on the nitrous. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:15 pm 
Wizard

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Trev, I FINALLY DID IT!!!

Attachment:
DSCF1472.JPG
DSCF1472.JPG [ 157.19 KiB | Viewed 15945 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF1473.JPG
DSCF1473.JPG [ 122.75 KiB | Viewed 15945 times ]

... I finally wired-up the Max Extreme! ROFL! It's only been like 6 MONTHS!

I still need a tach signal to make it work the way I want to, but hey I can make do as is!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

At last!!!! :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:30 am 
Wizard

As always, my experience with WON products are second-to-none as the Maxy has improved my car's reliability. With some tweaking, I can get the car to really move without straining the stock clutch excessively. I want to get the car to have as flat a torque curve as I can get and since the stock turbo spools so quickly, I have the nitrous ramp up quickly with 50-60% power then to 85-100%. This allows the turbo to do its job while the nitrous takes over once it begins running out of steam around 4500-5000 rpm. This leaves almost 2k worth of room for the nitrous to frolick about inside the engine and keep the car pulling.

Another added benefit is that I save money by not wasting nitrous to a slipping clutch or lack of traction. Plus, the ability to tailor the torque curve in any gear and RPM allows for infinite flexibility and make the car do what I want it to.

Overall, a WON controller is worth it's weight in gold as does every other product!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'll have to see what the next phase is going to be for this car. I don't know whether I should try to make more power or go for a different project. I'd like to learn to ride a motorcycle and put a WON kit on that with a Maxy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
As always, my experience with WON products are second-to-none as the Maxy has improved my car's reliability. With some tweaking, I can get the car to really move without straining the stock clutch excessively. I want to get the car to have as flat a torque curve as I can get and since the stock turbo spools so quickly, I have the nitrous ramp up quickly with 50-60% power then to 85-100%. This allows the turbo to do its job while the nitrous takes over once it begins running out of steam around 4500-5000 rpm. This leaves almost 2k worth of room for the nitrous to frolick about inside the engine and keep the car pulling.

Another added benefit is that I save money by not wasting nitrous to a slipping clutch or lack of traction. Plus, the ability to tailor the torque curve in any gear and RPM allows for infinite flexibility and make the car do what I want it to.

Overall, a WON controller is worth it's weight in gold as does every other product!

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'll have to see what the next phase is going to be for this car. I don't know whether I should try to make more power or go for a different project. I'd like to learn to ride a motorcycle and put a WON kit on that with a Maxy!

If only every nitrous user could see, read and appreciate the contents of this post, as it would SAVE THEM in so many ways, to dump their US JUNK and switch to WON, so they can benefit from the NUMEROUS advantages they offer.

SUCH A GREAT SHAME THAT MOST NITROUS USERS WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER AT THE HANDS OF IRRESPONSIBLE PROFITEERS

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:50 am 
Wizard

It is a damn shame!

Hopefully, I can help recruit a few more students of NOSwizardy with my videos!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:34 am 
Wizard

It looks like my clutch is slipping under engine power only as I was messing around the other night with my Sonic. The clutch is slipping upon my gearshifts so it looks like a stronger unit will be in order. Mind the fact that my tires are very hard compounds and don't grip the best, yet my clutch slips anyway. I'll be holding off on nitrous on this car altogether until my clutch gets upgraded in the future.

This is happening more as I've corrected some more boost leaks and the drop in climate temperature.

What a disappointment that this clutch is so limited in this car. Of course I'm making over 60 lb-ft over stock without the nitrous, and much much more on the juice. But I was hoping that it would hold at least 200 lb-ft. :tard: :tard:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:06 am 
Site Admin

:cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:36 am 
Wizard

Another problem: my ignition issues seems to have crept up again.

I tried to make a short video showing the bad clutch slippage on nitrous and my engine would begin shuddering and missing after a few seconds after activation. :tard:

It seems like either my coil pack is insufficient or my plugs need replacement. This sucks!

:x :x :x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

That's unfortunate. :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next