NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shot of nitrous, 360 magnum mopar block limitation, pistons
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:24 pm 

Hey how's it goin! New here to the forum and to nitrous. I have bought a book on performance nitrous systems which is very informative but I have some question for MY exact set up. Any help will be appreciated!

Question 1)
MY SET UP
Mopar 360 magnum engine out of a 01 Dodge Durango. Now, I'm going with a holley double pumper 750cfm , edelbrock air gap intake, custom grind cam but keeping it roller, going to install EQ heads, better valve springs, headers, bottom end I was thinking stock but chamfering oil holes on crank and cross drilling them, deburing and polishing crank, shot peen rods, debur and polish, and a girdle for the main caps. Maybe a 20 over bore with hyper Pistons, manual steering, electric fan.

Q: Im not sure of this production blocks limitations with hp an tq, I've read that the 360 magnum block maxes out at 500hp. Now with the set up I plan to run, from my research I determine that I will be making about 425-450hp at the flywheel. Will giving the engine a 100 shot of nitrous, be bad for the engine? If 500hp really is the blocks limit, the 100 shot would push it to 525-550hp correct? Passing the blocks limit possibly cracking it?

Question 2)
Pistons! I know hypers are very bad when it comes to detonation. Now I wouldn't be running anything more than the stock piston replacement, no KB Pistons. I feel if I where going to dish out money on good hypers that I should just go forged, and get Pistons that are better at handling detonation an heat. I don't know if going forged just for a 100 shot is worth it? Or just stick with hyperutectic Pistons? Just avoid detonation right? Just adjust timing, 93 and higher octane? Slightly rich tuning on carb?

Thanks a bunch hope to hear back soon! Stay cool!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Shot of nitrous, 360 magnum mopar block limitation, pist
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Andre68 wrote:
Hey how's it goin! New here to the forum and to nitrous. I have bought a book on performance nitrous systems which is very informative but I have some question for MY exact set up. Any help will be appreciated!
Welcome to my forum and what book have you read, is it mine?
http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-ancill ... -book.html

Question 1)
MY SET UP
Mopar 360 magnum engine out of a 01 Dodge Durango. Now, I'm going with a holley double pumper 750cfm , edelbrock air gap intake, custom grind cam but keeping it roller, going to install EQ heads, better valve springs, headers, bottom end I was thinking stock but chamfering oil holes on crank and cross drilling them, deburing and polishing crank, shot peen rods, debur and polish, and a girdle for the main caps. Maybe a 20 over bore with hyper Pistons, manual steering, electric fan.

Q: Im not sure of this production blocks limitations with hp an tq, I've read that the 360 magnum block maxes out at 500hp. Now with the set up I plan to run, from my research I determine that I will be making about 425-450hp at the flywheel. Will giving the engine a 100 shot of nitrous, be bad for the engine? If 500hp really is the blocks limit, the 100 shot would push it to 525-550hp correct? Passing the blocks limit possibly cracking it?
While using other brands of nitrous kit will almost certain cause failure of the bottom end (and most other parts), in THIRTY FIVE YEARS and MANY THOUSANDS of customers, I've NEVER known ANY of my customers suffer a bottom end failure, as a result of using my WON nitrous systems. Most of those have pushed their entire engines way past predicted limits, so I doubt you will be the first to suffer such a problem.
BTW the reason my systems are not engine killers, is because they are DESIGNED CORRECTLY, which in layman's terms results in the fuel reaching the engine sooner than other kits, which means they don't cause detonation, as others DO!!!!

Question 2)
Pistons! I know hypers are very bad when it comes to detonation. Now I wouldn't be running anything more than the stock piston replacement, no KB Pistons. I feel if I where going to dish out money on good hypers that I should just go forged, and get Pistons that are better at handling detonation an heat. I don't know if going forged just for a 100 shot is worth it? Or just stick with hyperutectic Pistons? Just avoid detonation right? Just adjust timing, 93 and higher octane? Slightly rich tuning on carb?
Again, although hyper pistons are known to fail when using other brands of nitrous kits, I've NEVER known any to fail when using my systems and your comments about detonation being the cause, are 100% correct and as I've just stated that WON systems uniquely DON'T cause detonation, that's why my customers don't suffer piston failures.
Retarding the timing and running rich (NOT on the carb but on the nitrous system), will certainly be beneficial on a WON system but other kits cause detonation INSTANTLY (because the nitrous reaches the engine long before the fuel), so running rich won't benefit other kits as much if at all.

Thanks a bunch hope to hear back soon! Stay cool!
My pleasure

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject: Re: Shot of nitrous, 360 magnum mopar block limitation, pist
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:54 am 

Okay cool, yea I don't believe it was that book, mine was purchased off amazon and written by Jeff Hartman.

Very interesting...

Which kit of yours would you recommend for my set up?