NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: US Nitrous System - Jegs - does Minimax work with it?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 am 
Learner

Hi All,

I bought this kit firstly in error for my subaru off a forum members subaru who ran it through solid state relay and his aftermarket ecu controlled it, anyway i bought it to do same then found out the kit was crap and switched to a won kit.

i cant get rid of this kit anywhere not even on ebay so thought i'd have a bit of fun with it on my lil daily driver clio 172 as i wont mind if it goes pear shaped lol.

so basically if i fit it to the 172 i'd need a progressive controller.

would the minimax controller work fine?

Thanks

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: US Nitrous System - Jegs - does Minimax work with it?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm 
Learner

well just bought a minimax nitrous controller off ebay. after a bit of googling it appears it maybe the older style controller? as the v2 one on site has won logo in middle and not the right like this one.

i think it should also work with the US kit as stated on the won site. but i hope trev will be along to confirm. thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 pm 
Wizard

As long as the solenoids dont draw too much power, the WoN controllers should be ok. I dont think the same can be said of the US solenoids. From personal experience I can say that my US solenoids needed to be overhauled after 20 runs on the drag strip as nitrous would start to seep into the manifold when the system was not in use and the bottle was on. Even with the bottle off the residual liquid in the line to the solenoid would seep into the manifold. I was a rookie back then and didnt understand why I had a big backfire when I started the engine. It didnt take me long to figure it out though ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Some pics of the solenoids would help but in general a Minimax 'should' be able to drive the majority of 'average' size US solenoids, although whether that's a good idea or not is another matter altogether, for the reasons Perry mentioned.

BTW Perry, how many uses would you say your Pulsoids have had and how many times have you had to service them???

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:17 am 
Learner

cheers guys for all the help.. seems this kit is pretty useless.. may just run it with 25hp jets on the 172 with no controller.. should be a lil more reliable that way and just make sure i dont use it under 4k rpm.

heres pics of the solenoid..

Thanks

p.s. on a side question what won kit would you recommend for the 172? now ive got the controller.. i may have another attempt at selling this kit on ebay as controller and progressive makes sense for long term reliability on clutch etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:31 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Some pics of the solenoids would help but in general a Minimax 'should' be able to drive the majority of 'average' size US solenoids, although whether that's a good idea or not is another matter altogether, for the reasons Perry mentioned.

BTW Perry, how many uses would you say your Pulsoids have had and how many times have you had to service them???

Trev!
I got my original pulsoids second hand back in 2004 I think. I used those on track up to 2008 with no problems. Then I added two more second hand pulsoids so I could run 300hp of nitrous. As these were unknown I spent about £70 on parts to service all four pulsoids so I had all new internals. These were in use for another 2 years until I fitted the Blower. Two of the pulsoids went onto my Sons car and I kept one pair on the MGB. All 4 pulsoids have been running trouble free since then, so another 6 years ish??

The old NOS solenoids were costing about £30 per 20 runs on the 1/4 mile for service parts. And with my heavy track use it was costing me about £100 per year in solenoid rebuilt kits for the NOS solenoids. Thats why I changed to Pulsoids ;) To be honest, the cost was not the main issue. It was the potential risk of me damaging my engine when those solenoids started letting by. When the first backfire happened on the NOS solenoids I was lucky enough to have only had a big flame out of the scoop which broke one of my power valve diaphragms in the carb. I could have had the inlet manifold explode if the engine had actually started, or worse ???

If I was still using NOS solenoids today the service costs could have mounted up to about £700 since 2008 if I was only using 1 pair.

PS
I'm out this weekend for a go at my 9.5 second attempt on the pulsoids which have been in use since 2008 ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

eggy790 wrote:
Quote:
cheers guys for all the help.. seems this kit is pretty useless.. may just run it with 25hp jets on the 172 with no controller.. should be a lil more reliable that way and just make sure i dont use it under 4k rpm.

Wise move if you have to use it for anything. Most people just use the old NOS solenoid as a purge solenoid on a WON system and to be totally honest, they aren't even fit for that limited purpose, as we've seen them fail doing only that once or twice.

Quote:
on a side question what won kit would you recommend for the 172? now ive got the controller.. i may have another attempt at selling this kit on ebay as controller and progressive makes sense for long term reliability on clutch etc.

If you'd like to send me your details to trev@noswizard.com I'd be happy to have one of my teams send you all your options.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
Quote:
Trev!
I got my original pulsoids second hand back in 2004 I think. I used those on track up to 2008 with no problems. Then I added two more second hand pulsoids so I could run 300hp of nitrous. As these were unknown I spent about £70 on parts to service all four pulsoids so I had all new internals. These were in use for another 2 years until I fitted the Blower. Two of the pulsoids went onto my Sons car and I kept one pair on the MGB. All 4 pulsoids have been running trouble free since then, so another 6 years ish??

The old NOS solenoids were costing about £30 per 20 runs on the 1/4 mile for service parts. And with my heavy track use it was costing me about £100 per year in solenoid rebuilt kits for the NOS solenoids. Thats why I changed to Pulsoids ;) To be honest, the cost was not the main issue. It was the potential risk of me damaging my engine when those solenoids started letting by. When the first backfire happened on the NOS solenoids I was lucky enough to have only had a big flame out of the scoop which broke one of my power valve diaphragms in the carb. I could have had the inlet manifold explode if the engine had actually started, or worse ???

If I was still using NOS solenoids today the service costs could have mounted up to about £700 since 2008 if I was only using 1 pair.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Perry

Quote:
I'm out this weekend for a go at my 9.5 second attempt on the pulsoids which have been in use since 2008 ;)

Best of luck with that.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)