NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to Nitrous
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:37 am 

Hi.

I was thinking about fitting a cheap n cheerful nitrous kit on my 2.0 FTO MIVEC manual. The engine is solid, just serviced with new belts, water-pump etc and is tip-top. There's also new manifolds and exhaust. I've gone as far as poss but would really like to get 50-60 bhp more out of it.

I have heard nitrous is great for power if engine solid and was thinking of installing simple. single-point wet-kit with bottle in boot.

Question is, how much do refills cost and does anyone have a basic kit for sale I could fit and gain around 60bhp please? I've heard the Mivec runs at 200bhp but is good for up to 300bhp. I'm currently at 220bhp.

Thanks for letting me join.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: New to Nitrous
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:44 am 
Site Admin

NOT a good idea to go for a 'cheap' kit, as it will cost you much more (in the form of engine repairs), than buying a GOOD system.

The difference in cost between a 'cheap' (nasty) kit and a good quality safe system isn't that much (especially when everything is taken in to account), so buying a new WON system is the best option.

Cost of nitrous depends on where you buy it from but usually ranges between £6 & £9 per lb.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 pm 

Thanks for reply. When I said 'cheap kit' I just meant something branded with singlepoint injection, two solenoids, microswitch and bottle. Didn't really want to over-kill it as just found out the nitrous is 11 quid per lb at our local place and figuring it's gonna be addictive I can see it getting costly. Point was for it to be cheaper than a supercharger and seen branded kits on ebay for couple hundred mark.

How long would an 11lb bottle last (how many hits) with a 50bhp nozzle?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

As a newbie to nitrous you won't be aware, that ALL 'branded' kits OTHER THAN WON, are made in the USA and are TOTAL JUNK.

That is not sales talk, it is FACT.

Another thing you might like to keep in mind, is that our WON systems are FAR MORE effective/efficient than ANY of the US kits (which by the way ALL use the same JUNK parts etc.), so you'll use much less nitrous to achieve the end result you want and at that price, you'll soon save more than the extra cost of the system.

Here is a link to an INDEPENDENT magazine report, that compared a TYPICAL US nitrous kit against one of ours.
The advantages would have been FAR GREATER, if the test had been carried out as it should have been, but because the company that supplied both kits wanted to see both do well (as they sold both brands), they CHEATED by helping to make the US kit perform better, than the average customer would get.
To get even the POOR result they demonstrated in this test (from the US brand kit), an actual customer would also have to buy a purge kit, which not only adds substantially to the cost of the kit but also WASTES your very valuable nitrous.
In contrast, the WON kit did NOT have a purge kit added, does NOT need one (and therefore doesn't waste nitrous to atmosphere) and STILL produced MUCH BETTER results. :yes: :yes:

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/nitrous_shootout_web.pdf

You should also find this link interesting;

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/WONVsREST.pdf

At the time this was carried out, the owner of the US company was bragging about how his kits were better than all the rest (as ALL US companies do), so it was very satisfying to have it PROVED CONCLUSIVELY that ONLY WON IS BEST and by a HUGE margin. :)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:18 pm 

Was actually looking at this one and using my own, stainless induction pipe with injector 4 inches from throttle body.

It's always interesting to get advice from those in the know as despite being a mechanic, this is a relatively new thing for me.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231196252962? ... 1423.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:32 pm 
Wizard

FTOfeak wrote:
Was actually looking at this one and using my own, stainless induction pipe with injector 4 inches from throttle body.

It's always interesting to get advice from those in the know as despite being a mechanic, this is a relatively new thing for me.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231196252962? ... 1423.l2649

Thats a good starting point for a kit ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:48 pm 

Familiar name in the description too! lol