NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hello everyone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm 

Hello everyone. New on here so just wanted to introduce myself and so on.

My car is a Mitsubishi FTO GPX with a manual gearbox - that's a 2 litre V6 with mivec variable valve timing. So far, I've done the usual sort of thing. installed coilovers, new wheels, front and rear strut brace, air filter panel and stainless steel decat exhaust, tweaked the fuel map (but not the timing) had the interior flocked and retrimmed the seats. It's also due for a colour change this year :)

I haven't installed my nitrous system yet. Despite my intention to buy new, I ended up buying a second hand WON kit - I couldn't really turn it down in the end as it's brand new, never been fitted. I actually then bought another 2nd hand WON kit a few days later, which had a Minimax and an 11lb bottle. So, while it isn't brand new and not the latest pulsoids, and I won't get the kind of support and guarantees I would with a new kit, I've got a potentially very decent setup with new components, a larger bottle and a progressive controller. I've also got essentially a whole kit spare - the other bottle, older pulsoids, microswitch, pipes and connecters. I've also just taken delivery of a bottle warmer.

Insurance is a bit of a pain as I can't switch to a provider that will cover nitrous until later in the year without forfeiting several months of cover I've already paid for. Until then, I'm trying to amass as much knowledge on the subject as I can. I've nearly finished Trev's book now :)

So, a couple of newbie questions:

- Do I sell my "spare" kit on ebay, or keep it in case I need spares? I can see the advantage of having an extra bottle, but other than that I don't expect to need the bits. The money from selling it might be better ringfenced for nitrous refills (& petrol!). Alternatively I could sell on just the older pulsoids - but I don't expect there's as much of a market for that as for a whole kit.

- The 11lb bottle I have is stamped 2013 - so I understand I'll need to get it tested before it can be refilled? I presume my local fillers can do that? Does the bottle need to be full / empty, and how much should I expect to pay?

Many thanks and I look forward to it!!

Attachments:
IMG-2548.jpg
IMG-2548.jpg [ 256.61 KiB | Viewed 4520 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Hello everyone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:05 pm 
Wizard

Welcome Pencil!!

Just keep all the stuff mate.

Forget about getting the bottle tested unless you want to. Anyone in the UK will fill the bottle as long as you have an adapter to -4 or find a filler who has WoN nylon line connections.

If you dont know the history of the pulsoids I would either test them at full pressure or send them to Trev for a refurb. If you have the mechanical inclination you may be able to buy the parts from WoN and rebuild them yourself. The main thing to do when testing unknown pulsoids is to fit them and run them through a few cycles to make sure they open and close and also sell properly when shut against full nitrous and fuel pressure.

If I was you I would seriously think about having new plungers and seals fitted to the pulsoids by WoN as you will then effectively have a brand new set of pulsoids.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 pm 

Hi Mgbv8

Cheers for your reply, and thanks for the info on the bottle, that makes life easier. Forgive the newbie question, but what do you mean by an adapter to -4? I'll check with my local filler (TGS in Stockport) whether they have Won connenctions.

The pulsoids I plan on using are the ones from the kit which is second hand but completely unused, so although they're not the latest ones they're effectively brand new. Unless they degrade over time (which having read about the construction I doubt - is that right?) then they ought to be tip top.

From the used kit, I'll only really be using the 11lb bottle and the Minimax.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Technically/legally you 'should' have the bottle/s retested but I've never known anyone do so and I don't know who would do that for you anyway.

Even though you've bought a used system we still provide the same level of service, as I'm sure Perry (MGBV8) will confirm.

Depending on how old your Pulsoids are, even if they are unused they may still need the fuel Pulsoid plunger replacing, as fuel ingredients have changed and as a consequence so have our seal materials to cope with that.

If you have the same style Pulsoids as currently shown on our website (X-10s) you'll be fine with what you have.
http://www.noswizard.com/x10-solenoid

You'll NEVER need the spare Pulsoids as they will never fail or wear but you may at some time in future have another use for the spare system, so it's worth considering that prospect before deciding what to do with it.

For filling we can sell you a suitable connection adaptor, so that no matter what equipment your supplier has, you can be sure to be able to get a fill.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
Technically/legally you 'should' have the bottle/s retested but I've never known anyone do so and I don't know who would do that for you anyway.

No worries then, it probably won't prove to be a problem by the sound of it. So that's good.

Noswizard wrote:
Even though you've bought a used system we still provide the same level of service, as I'm sure Perry (MGBV8) will confirm.

That's excellent news, your reputation precedes you so I'm very pleased to be a part of your community.

Noswizard wrote:
Depending on how old your Pulsoids are, even if they are unused they may still need the fuel Pulsoid plunger replacing, as fuel ingredients have changed and as a consequence so have our seal materials to cope with that.

If you have the same style Pulsoids as currently shown on our website (X-10s) you'll be fine with what you have.
http://www.noswizard.com/x10-solenoid

Would it be worthwhile sending you the fuel pulsoid in that case to have a look at? They're not x10s. The previous owner bought the kit for a project that bit the dust, so he stuck it in the cupboard for years before remembering and deciding to sell. How much would it cost?

Noswizard wrote:
You'll NEVER need the spare Pulsoids as they will never fail or wear but you may at some time in future have another use for the spare system, so it's worth considering that prospect before deciding what to do with it.

Agreed. We shall see...

Noswizard wrote:
For filling we can sell you a suitable connection adaptor, so that no matter what equipment your supplier has, you can be sure to be able to get a fill.

Great - I'll check with TGS Stockport and come back to you for an adapter if I need one.

Thanks again for your help Trev.