NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: mx5 nc and nitrous
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info on the adapter although from what I can see of most of those available, they are the same as those in the link I provided.

I'll get those and the one you suggested to see how they compare just out of interest.

On the spark plug front the rule is; MINIMSE the amount of metal sticking in to the chamber, so I'd keep well away from those nology plugs.

What you want IF they are available for your car is whatever code you currently have before the number, followed by a number one higher than you currently have, followed by ECS as they are SHORT ground strap plugs, that are best suited to nitrous use.
Failing that modify whatever you can get, as I've described in my book and elsewhere on the forum.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

teddybare wrote:
wow 99p i wonder if it has any chips in it :D

It's a scam, the 99p is JUST for the Fag socket charger and all the rest are £5 plus each, I knew there had to be a catch. :tard:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:01 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Thanks for the info on the adapter although from what I can see of most of those available, they are the same as those in the link I provided.

I'll get those and the one you suggested to see how they compare just out of interest.

On the spark plug front the rule is; MINIMSE the amount of metal sticking in to the chamber, so I'd keep well away from those nology plugs.

What you want IF they are available for your car is whatever code you currently have before the number, followed by a number one higher than you currently have, followed by ECS as they are SHORT ground strap plugs, that are best suited to nitrous use.
Failing that modify whatever you can get, as I've described in my book and elsewhere on the forum.

cheers trev..... :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 pm 
Wizard

hello all,
well the nitrous has been fine (ish) sticking with the 75 shot for safety even tho i have had a go with 100 8) .. strange thing brings me here ..past few days ive had hesitation in the aceleration department not always there and sometimes alot worse pulling out of round-a-bouts like a fuel surge feeling, thinking it was the 02 sensor which had been replaced a few months ago with similer traits all be it with a check light,i started fearing the worse, ecu gone, half melted piston, i always think positive :D its funny i had just watched "eric the car guy" on youtube and he was going on about checking the everyday things filter plugs fuel pressure etc . well would you adam and eve it, ive just taken out my new (since using nitrous) NGK ILTR6A-8G plugs and popped in my old original fomoco standard plugs back in and shes running superb... no nitrous has been used yet its getting filled ,but when i say the nitrous has been fine ish i had been getting some good bad results just like the fuel surge feeling ,that is to say sometimes the car did everything you expect from the shot and sometimes it would stutter...so do i try the nitrous with new standard mx5 plugs which by the way is just a larger gap size ,or do i replace the smaller gap NGK ILTR6A-8G and asume i have a bad plug amongst them, any advice welcome before i purchase some new plugs
thanks ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm 
Wizard

update...car gave another slight hesitation again powering out from a round-a-bout .. so i guess we can scrap my plug post :scratch: then later on the engine check light came on,anyway when i got back home it was the same code i got for the 02 sensor , cleared the code and its remained off ...i hate this car again :tard:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:37 am 

teddybare wrote:
update...car gave another slight hesitation again powering out from a round-a-bout .. so i guess we can scrap my plug post :scratch: then later on the engine check light came on,anyway when i got back home it was the same code i got for the 02 sensor , cleared the code and its remained off ...i hate this car again :tard:

Hi read your post with interest and was intrigued that you ran so much nitrous with the mazda engine and your build looked superb.
Have you discovered what the problems were ?

on another note can i ask were you tuned before you began this build ?
what power were you making?
did you change the fuel pump to cope with the demand?
great build hope you get it sorted.
regards bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:34 pm 
Wizard

hi bob
well if you see the start of my thread its tune up began with a racingbeat header and a ecutek remap ... we now have a better flowing free reving engine..about a month later before the nitrous was installed the car began doing a strange rev up and down idle when cold, plus doing a kangaroo impression on the road,the code said lambda sensor (dam expensive) i was going to blink in cheshire for a geo set up and they were interested in my sensor problem,but also said they thought i had wasted my money buying one because they felt it was the small exhaust leak i had mentioned throwing the ecu fueling out....they were still amazed after sealing my leak but only fitting the sensor cured it 8) so happy days
Now nitrous,yes i got greedy and threw a 100 jet in but trevor told me to calm myself ;) so 75 is fine.. for the past week the car is not doing the idle dance but its starting to get worse on the road intermitenly holding then going and for some insane reason it can start doing it when you go around a roundabout like some crazy fuel surge ...this is were things get complicated because you suspect sticking calipers fuel pump ecu BUT in my heart i think its the 02 sensor again it only has 1 by the way the header gets rid of one ..oh and i tried nitrous today with my old original big plug gaps while the car was behaving itself and it was mega ,just ask the amg mercedes driver who was so impressed when i left him at the lights his asked what engines in that :) no codes have been shown when it does its kangaroo,but a few days ago the light stayed on and sure enough when i read it 02 voltage came up... going to blink in two weeks for my lowering springs and ritchard will plug his laptop in ..heat kills lambda he said ..but were only gussing at the moment so watch this space. just noticed you asked about power bob ..well to be honest its always pointless to me 179 with header and tune i believe..different story with nitrous in a light car tho woohoo, standard fuel pump by the way...you would laugh i said to my garage friend i thought these cars were suppose to be relieable,he said they are till you start messing with them :D
sorry for the long post bob ,but i really needed to get this off my chest ;)

Last edited by teddybare on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:52 am 

thanks great reading, :)
i have the mazda mps and the first thing i had to change was the fuel pump hence why i was amazed it was still good with nitrous but if you have no fuel cut then happy days.
the sensors can be a real pain on the mazda i am fully catless and i dont think i have ever had a week without some new light but car does run fine although i find the mps over fuels and i have more soot then a chimney sweep
i to have the ecutek maps on my car but changing to a mapping system with an etune as i found the ecutek maps have so many tables the mappers did not understand or at least did not understand on my car. :tard:
i bet the guy in the AMG was amazed lol but like you say with the minimum weight and the extra boost bet you have a real beast their
keep me informed how you get on
regards bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:18 am 
Wizard

hi bob
Thanks for sharing your experiances,i see alot of americans are going for the http://www.openflashtablet.com/products/OFT/index.html is this the type of thing you have in mind ?
i remember doing the e.map on my laptop a long time ago, turning my mini one into a mini cooper :shock:
oh by the way was up early today on quiet roads and the car ran perfectly :scratch: stupid thing lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 am 

no im going for a cobb unit as these are tried and tested mapping uploaders and the tables in the maps have been decoded to make tuning much more manageable for tuners allowing better tuning of boost and torque curves allowing the car a much smoother input of power then a ecutek map would.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Default.asp?g ... wwodIDIAjg
their are some really fantastic tuners available using these systems and the custom maps really make a differance, we have one of the best mazda tuners recognised world wide here in the uk which makes a nice change, might be something you could look towards as the unit is around £380 depends on exchange rate but then mapping is around £100 for custom map and tune then you can keep making maps and adjustments as you go along and also unlike ecutek when you are done you unhook and sell on your cobb and will still get a few hundred back.

i have spent several hundred nay say at least 1200 on tuning with mappers and rolling roads and a friend with the same car as mine with none of the mods made my car look silly as he had a custom map specially for his car and his torque curve allowed him to get the power down better at launch and hold boost higher up in the 7-8k where my boost tailed off at 5k.

i have found the uk rolling road scene and mappers to only be as good as their talk they all say they can tune and charge a small fortune for the privalage of software they have bought and install on your car only altering fuel tables etc , a real good tune takes several weeks and logs taken out on the road but the diff is staggering.

sorry once i start i never shut up.
i

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:56 pm 
Wizard

wow that must have been humbling with your friends car and they're not exactly slow cars to begin with are they :D ... will definitely look into this mapping once the car is behaving itself...love to turbo it but the cost is silly and more money than i paid for the car ..bbr in the uk want over £6000 but
http://www.tdr-mx5tuning.com/?page_id=505 in the states would be my first choice ..IF i had the spare cash.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:09 pm 

BBR did a mps version and their stage 1 cost £1500 and you can do stage 1 yourself for a little over £600 and their stage 3 was £3k and their stage 4 a little more just under 4k they were outragious with their prices and to be honest they were not that great with the tune they just seem to go bigger turbo and that produces more power route where the little ko4 is already capable of producing 340bhp rather safely with just a tune and its the torque that destroys these turbos not the bhp.
mine is running 320bhp and 380ilb torque and i am tuning my torque down to around 350 to allow me a margin for the nitrous system as its a little more bhp then torque i am after and a smoother power delivery
i have plenty spent on handling and i have gone down the route making sure the car has been more uprated then modded if that makes sense with high pressure fuel pumps boost tubes sri tip re-circ all replaced to compliment the power delivery,
i am at the point where when my tune is finished do i upgrade the turbo or add nitrous.
i always wanted a nitrous system and dont know if its the power or the cool factor but if it helps with my times at santa pod i would be very happy its just the naysayers who are very anti nitrous make you nervous.
how long you ran nitrous?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm 
Wizard

i see you have invested a lot of money in your car bob ;) if you look at my posts you will see my first introduction to nitrous was the beloved family e46 diesel, started life with simon http://www.e-maps.co.uk/ and decat ..now diesel is very forgiving and i was running as much nitrous that was possible.. no jet in the pulsoid, what a buzz :D
sadly she is nitrous less now i pinched stuff for the mx5 (can't be having two ways to lose my licence :beatstick: ) im reading the cobb stuff with interest 8)

Last edited by teddybare on Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:45 pm 

if you go the cobb route i know the top guy in the uk, hes name is justin and if you go on the forums he is regarded as a bit of a god lol
i can hook you up or send you the forum details but im sure i could get you a mates rate tune for £100 if you went that route and by that i mean he would work with you for 2-3 months sending you revisions and maps and he would also talk you through the mapping process and teach you to understand the revisions etc, that is priceless as its always nice to look at your logs and understand where the power levals hit and recede, just an option for you, i think cobb themselves will also put you in touch with tuners but i think they charge quite a lot more and even charge extra if it takes longer. first things first though will cobb work with the mx ?
the ecutek is expensive and the rr guys have you once you start with them and they charge like they were nasa techs lol
i was told though that the better your tune the more explosive the nos has an impact?
it would make sense i suppose, i actually live in doncaster near one of the moderators so i will be tracking him down to talk more about the options i have with nos, i have sunk around 6k in to the car and it does go very well and can push most m3s up the motorway lol and destroys the standard cars like ford RS and ST and vauxhall VXRS so i figure the nitrous will take the car to the next level ....with luck ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:23 pm 
Wizard

Thanks bob
And once again we always want more power, its just never enough... 8)