NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sparkplug dilemma
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
I have always ran ngk Iradium plugs on my bike . Mainly because they are more reliable than standard. When my nitrous was fitted they put same plugs but one grade up . From a. 9 to a 10. The plugs failed after 10 mins of riding. Not - misfiring but a complete would not rev high fail on all plugs. Put another 4 new plugs in also the higher 10s and it wouldn't hardly run at all. So I put my old 9s back and it ran a dream. My bike doesn't like runnin with the higher grade plug. .
Now I just read that normal ngk copper core standards are supposed to be safer for nitrous than iradiums. So I'm going to change to standard plugs. Dilemma now is how safe are they at standard heat rating as my bike don't like any other.
I'm running 40 hp nitrous . High comp forged pistons. Mappable ignition. Dyna coils. Ect ect. Any advice. Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Sparkplug dilemma
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 pm 
Learner

Davebplastering wrote:
I have always ran ngk Iradium plugs on my bike . Mainly because they are more reliable than standard. When my nitrous was fitted they put same plugs but one grade up . From a. 9 to a 10. The plugs failed after 10 mins of riding. Not - misfiring but a complete would not rev high fail on all plugs. Put another 4 new plugs in also the higher 10s and it wouldn't hardly run at all. So I put my old 9s back and it ran a dream. My bike doesn't like runnin with the higher grade plug. .
Now I just read that normal ngk copper core standards are supposed to be safer for nitrous than iradiums. So I'm going to change to standard plugs. Dilemma now is how safe are they at standard heat rating as my bike don't like any other.
I'm running 40 hp nitrous . High comp forged pistons. Mappable ignition. Dyna coils. Ect ect. Any advice. Thanks in advance

Hi
You should never use iridiums on Nitrous !!!
The main problem of the iridium plugs is the little "volume" of metal. This cant take the additional heat and may weld.
Also you shouldnt use any "two electrode plugs" as the aditional volume of metal would hold to much heat and could cause preignition.

As you have a 97 it must be a carburated SRAD. When the 10s fail i suppose its running way to rich or you let it run to long with the choke.
Then the plugs cant "burn free" and suffer from soiling with soot.

We have the same bike as 96 SRAD and sometimes its hard to fire it up.
We use the choke just to fire up and then keep it with the throttle alive till 70° watertemp. This way no problems with the plugs.

What do you do with the bike and when do you use nitrous ?
Always or only at the track ? If you use the NOS only at the track try the CR 9s and check after two runs how they look.
NGK recomends one step cooler for each 75hp of nitrous
so your 9s are also ok at only 40shot but you have to keep an eye on them , and they wont last as long as the 10s.
If you realize burnt electrodes its time to change.

Its all the carbs :beatstick: making this problems. On the bandit with only one wrong start procedure the plugs suffer at once :tard:

On my Busa i changed from 9 iridiums to NGK ER10 (normal plugs) and didnt realise any difference at all. Was with the bike on the track blowing many bottles ,
and in September in Italy at the Hayabusameeting. I checked them and had just to adjust the gap 1/10mm .

Greets
Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:06 pm 
Hi thanks for getting back to me. Yer it does run a bit rich . Ain't got choke as I've got 40mm flatslides. It gets road and track use and I guess nitrous will be used most of the time . But saying that I am a good weather biker so on average I only do 1500 miles a year. Well I think I will just use standard ngk 9 and change them every500 miles. I've only had nitrous a month on it. I've done 3 hard runs. Checked my plugs and they seem ok. Slightly less sooty than normal for my bike . Without the nitrous it runs great slightly rich and runs at 134 bhp. With lots of head work and engine mods.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Standard plugs will be fine up to about 70 HP and if you can retard the timing a degree or two, it will reduce any risk of them overheating.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:58 pm 
Trev the retard is a great idea. I did ask when it was fitted . I got a retard function on my ecu and I can set it to what I want. It changes when it's grounded. I put the wire there ready but he didn't do it as he said I won't need it. But tbh I would rather have a couple degrees just as a precaution and because I can. How do I wire it up and set it up from my max extreme v1 race. If It's easy to do I will sort it. I haven't seen the retard function on the max yet. Is it something you can explain easily . If not Could i bring it to you to . Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Davebplastering wrote:
Trev the retard is a great idea. I did ask when it was fitted . I got a retard function on my ecu and I can set it to what I want. It changes when it's grounded.
Excellent.

I put the wire there ready but he didn't do it as he said I won't need it. But tbh I would rather have a couple degrees just as a precaution and because I can.
Very good and you don't 'need' it for 40 HP but even at that level you could pick up a few bhp by retarding the timing a degree or two AND be safer.

How do I wire it up and set it up from my max extreme v1 race. If It's easy to do I will sort it. I haven't seen the retard function on the max yet. Is it something you can explain easily . If not Could i bring it to you to . Thanks
The Max doesn't have a retard function as such but it does have the ability to activate a retard in the way you want.
See the diagram here for the simple wiring instructions;

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/MaxWiring1.9_8A.pdf

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:32 pm 
thanks trev for the link to the wiring diagram. I hate electrics and wiring, but it looked quite simple so I thought I would have a go. I discovered that output one is being used and wired up into a relay. output two was a dead wire. so I connected it up to my ecu and haypresto, done a test and I have switchable retard. I set my ecu at 2 degrees and the max extreme at 30%. so that's sorted, thankyou. I will now run standard plugs with no worry.
I couldn't find out what output one was wired up to though. it runs to a relay and then the relay has another 3 wires . ive no bottle heater, its not revs or shift light so I don't know. its in use because when I test, the relay clicks. anyway on the max its set to 75% so I better not mess around with it. thanks again for the help. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Admin

8)

Who fitted the Max?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 pm 
Lawson at powerhouse. He did the complete install. I had the 150 fitted because I wanted the direct port injection instead of air box . He also fitted the max for me at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 pm 
Forgot to say it was only done about a month ago.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure Lawson would be able to tell you what the output is used for in that case. :idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)