NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: newbie advice. stage 2 golf mk4 1.8t
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:52 pm 
Learner

First of all, thanks to whoever it was I just spoke to on my phone and helped activate my account! ive been waiting weeks :scratch: :lol: .
I have a stage 2 mapped golf mk4 1.8t with k04 turbo all supporting breathing mods etc blah blah blah.
I also have larger injectors and airflow meter housing waiting to fit use which could take me 20 280bhp fly quite easily but I might not fit them if nitrous gives me all I need.
My question is, is it safe to use nitrous on this car which has most likely had its timing advanced quite a bit? It currently runs about 240bhp @ flywheel when the boost is at about 18psi.
from what I remember, my tuner (R-tech) pulled back the power at top end due to insufficient fuel supply which was caused by an old fuel filter and possible weak fuel pump. both them issues have been rectified.
the kit I have is what I believe to be a second hand 150i streetblaster with the older "highpower" branded solenoids and from what I have been told have 50 shot jets fitted. I will probably buy new jets rather than trust what I have been told.
I also plan not to run the kit until I get a progressive controller when I can afford one.
any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
thanks, Jamie.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: newbie advice. stage 2 golf mk4 1.8t
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

jamie16v wrote:
First of all, thanks to whoever it was I just spoke to on my phone and helped activate my account! ive been waiting weeks :scratch: :lol: .
Glad to see that worked out.

I have a stage 2 mapped golf mk4 1.8t with k04 turbo all supporting breathing mods etc blah blah blah.
I also have larger injectors and airflow meter housing waiting to fit use which could take me 20 280bhp fly quite easily but I might not fit them if nitrous gives me all I need.
My question is, is it safe to use nitrous on this car which has most likely had its timing advanced quite a bit? It currently runs about 240bhp @ flywheel when the boost is at about 18psi.
It's extremely unlikely that the timing would have been advanced, as it would normally be retarded as boost is increased, so it should be fine.

from what I remember, my tuner (R-tech) pulled back the power at top end due to insufficient fuel supply which was caused by an old fuel filter and possible weak fuel pump. both them issues have been rectified.
Glad to hear it, as that would NOT be good for nitrous.

the kit I have is what I believe to be a second hand 150i streetblaster with the older "highpower" branded solenoids and from what I have been told have 50 shot jets fitted. I will probably buy new jets rather than trust what I have been told.
Wise move

I also plan not to run the kit until I get a progressive controller when I can afford one.
We have a number of used progressive units and I'm sure one should fit your budget, so might I suggest you contact us by email for a quote.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 pm 
Learner

Thanks for the reply trev, my budget is really tight, I won't say how tight but I'm sure I currently couldn't afford one of your units at the moment, though I'm interested!
I first need to get other bits gathered like a bottle and feed line. For the time being I am going to use luxfer co2 bottles which I won a pair of 7kg aluminium with valves for £5 last night on eBay.
I think I'll sell my rc heli's haha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

jamie16v wrote:
Thanks for the reply trev, my budget is really tight, I won't say how tight but I'm sure I currently couldn't afford one of your units at the moment, though I'm interested!
I first need to get other bits gathered like a bottle and feed line. For the time being I am going to use luxfer co2 bottles which I won a pair of 7kg aluminium with valves for £5 last night on eBay.
I think I'll sell my rc heli's haha!

If they are CO2 'extinguishers' the valves won't be suitable but we can supply those for you. We also have most other components in used condition, so you might like to check out what we have against what you need, whenever you have a bit of money.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 am 
Learner

Welcome fellow VWDubber Jamie to the Forum.

Sounds like you're gonna have some fun soon then!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
If they are CO2 'extinguishers' the valves won't be suitable but we can supply those for you. We also have most other components in used condition, so you might like to check out what we have against what you need, whenever you have a bit of money.

they are ex hydroponics doo dahs, I`m not sure on the outlet size of the valves but they look ok from what I can see.
here`s a link to the ebay listing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200970531391? ... 1439.l2649

BagPuss wrote:

hi mate, hopefully yeah, its pretty rapid now but struggles further up the rev range, it has tremendous low down torque already. I think nitrous will make it immense.
I plan to lower the boost to improve traction off the mark, as this is where it gets a bit slow off the mark, its very hard to put power down in 1st and 2nd with all the boost, mainly in the wet. So the plan was then to be able to arm the nitrous once 1st and 2nd gear are out of the way.
I am a member of golfgtiforum.co.uk, you could probably check my project thread out there, it`s nothing too impressive as I`m not really a cheque book modder and most mods been done on a budget due to low income (self employed/ plumbing mature apprentice).
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=118677.0
cheers, Jamie.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

jamie16v wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
they are ex hydroponics doo dahs, I`m not sure on the outlet size of the valves but they look ok from what I can see.
here`s a link to the ebay listing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200970531391?
ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Unfortunately you've wasted your money, so it's lucky that you didn't pay much for them.
One is a steel bottle which must be ANCIENT and therefore against the law to fill and even if you could fill it, that would be unwise and even if it's not rusty inside now, it will be after some nitrous use and then that rust will contaminate the nitrous system.
The other one is a LIGHTWEIGHT alloy bottle, which also means it's either ANCIENT or TOTALLY UNSUITABLE for containing nitrous, as it won't be strong enough and even if it was considered so when it was made (which I doubt), it will NOT be considered as such now.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm 
Learner

oh dear...
tbh, I didn`t intend in using the steel one for the exact reason you mention it just came as part of the package. though I thought the aluminium one would have been suitable even if it weren`t legal.
it does have a pie mark though and looking at the markings it appears to be an ex-fire extinguisher, that's the one with the co2 sticker, when the seller stated lightweight, I think he meant lighter than the steel one and tbh, it`s not that much lighter!
oh well then back to the drawing board.
thanks for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 pm 

jamie16v wrote:
oh dear...
tbh, I didn`t intend in using the steel one for the exact reason you mention it just came as part of the package. though I thought the aluminium one would have been suitable even if it weren`t legal.
it does have a pie mark though and looking at the markings it appears to be an ex-fire extinguisher, that's the one with the co2 sticker, when the seller stated lightweight, I think he meant lighter than the steel one and tbh, it`s not that much lighter!
thanks for your advice!

Hi JAMIE :)

I live in Bournemouth and although not a pro filler, I fill bottles for a fair number of the local lads with cars like yours....

BUT... I wouldnt fill either of those bottles and nor would the majority of other fillers..... (as its a safety issue....YOUR SAFETY lol)

I am sure Trev might well have a second hand bottle that you could get a good deal on... then anyone will fill it....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:01 pm 
Learner

Thanks again for your advice Bret.
May I ask what it is about the aluminium cylinder you think makes it unsuitable. It is safety marked and stamped January 2013 if that means anything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

jamie16v wrote:
oh dear...
thanks for your advice!

To be sure on the ally bottle, list ALL the markings stamped in the neck and in particular look for and list, the Test Pressure (TP) and the Date.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:32 pm 
Learner

Sorry, didn't realise the pics would be so big. Can anyone re-size them please?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

I couldn't see the numbers/letters clearly enough even at that size, so I deleted the post as it was easier. Can you JUST post the actual numbers/letters that you can read please?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 pm 
Learner

Lol, the stamps are plain as day when viewed on my iphone.
The date is stamed 01 "symbol" 13
And the test pressure is 194 bar.
Thanks, jamie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:14 am 
Site Admin

Not sure that's the date, as it's usually in a conventional 12/01/2013 kind of format, so what makes you think it's a date, does it say DATE before it?

On the pressure side it looks like you'll be OK as that is the capability of a standard CO2/N2O type cylinder, so we just need to clear up the date issue.

BTW you will almost certainly have to mount that bottle upside down, if it proves to be suitable to fill.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:48 am 
Learner

BagPuss wrote:

Quote:
hi mate, hopefully yeah, its pretty rapid now but struggles further up the rev range, it has tremendous low down torque already. I think nitrous will make it immense.
I plan to lower the boost to improve traction off the mark, as this is where it gets a bit slow off the mark, its very hard to put power down in 1st and 2nd with all the boost, mainly in the wet. So the plan was then to be able to arm the nitrous once 1st and 2nd gear are out of the way.
I am a member of golfgtiforum.co.uk, you could probably check my project thread out there, it`s nothing too impressive as I`m not really a cheque book modder and most mods been done on a budget due to low income (self employed/ plumbing mature apprentice).
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=118677.0
cheers, Jamie.

Definitely sounds like its gonna be a bit of a monster :twisted:

Same here, I was never one for having an unlimited budget to spend, if and when it broke I replaced it with 'Performance' Parts as these were always cheaper than OEM stuff.

Though, now times have changed I just seem to buy parts with the intension of fitting them all, basically old for new.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Not sure that's the date, as it's usually in a conventional 12/01/2013 kind of format, so what makes you think it's a date, does it say DATE before it?

I believe its certainly a date stamp because there are a few of them dated every several years which would suggest to me that they are test periods. the symbol appears to be the initials of the different comanys which would have tested it over the years such as CF (chubb fire), FPS (fire protection systems) etc.
Noswizard wrote:
On the pressure side it looks like you'll be OK as that is the capability of a standard CO2/N2O type cylinder, so we just need to clear up the date issue.

BTW you will almost certainly have to mount that bottle upside down, if it proves to be suitable to fill.

[/quote]
the way the label is placed suggests to me that it has been put to indicate the position of the dip tube as it is directly in line with the valves outlet. even if it doesn`t have one, I can always fit one.

BagPuss wrote:
Definitely sounds like its gonna be a bit of a monster :twisted:

Same here, I was never one for having an unlimited budget to spend, if and when it broke I replaced it with 'Performance' Parts as these were always cheaper than OEM stuff.

Though, now times have changed I just seem to buy parts with the intension of fitting them all, basically old for new.

hi bagpuss,
I do hope it will be a monster, it is certainly quick enough as it stands for a front wheel drive but I think there is a lot more room for power top end.
budget has always been my problem, if it wasn`t I would be a cheque book modder like most of the others out there and buy off the shelf parts that are easily available if funds allow.
personally I prefer the challenge of researching what bits are going to make my project work safely without raping my bank account. That`s what makes me proud of what "I" have done.
most of the parts fitted to my car are either 2nd hand or ebay bits and I will say, it may not be the prettiest or awe factor of cars but it will keep up with a lot out there.
at the end of the day its a project, its about learning for me, not about having the fastest, best looking show car. even if I broke it, it wouldn't matter, I would learn something from it and that's the whole point of what I do.
:yes: DUB POWER!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:05 pm 
Learner

Unfortunately for me, Scirocco's weren't the most popular of VW's so parts weren't like those for a Mk.3 or 4 Golf etc with a wide range of Manufacturer choices to choose from.

However, I'm glad I have one as there aren't many around now :yes:

At present my ickle little 8v is pushing 150bhp, once completed with WoN I'm hoping to see a maximum of around 200BHP as for something that weighs 920kg's it's a bit pointless for anymore on a FWD.

150BHP is fun now, but like Trev say's....I want that big grin! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm 
Learner

just had a look in the link, It looks like a nice little project you got there mate with a lot going on!
iv`e always had a soft spot for the rocco.

anyone know how much a bottle adapter is?.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Learner

I thought I would share what I have done with the aluminium bottle. if pics do turn out to be too large I will try to resize them, if that fails then I will delete them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately that bottle will be MASSIVELY OUT OF DATE, as they stopped selling bottles with TAPER fit valves, some 20 YEARS ago, because it puts the bottle under stress to crack the neck.

All bottles since then have a parallel thread, so you're very likely to have problems getting that bottle filled.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:52 pm 
Learner

Oh dear, all that work for nothing then :?
It'll be a while before my motor see's nitrous by the way things are going.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:15 pm 
Learner

Hi trev, you say it is massively out of date, it is an old bottle for fact, but does the retested date mean nothing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:53 pm 
Learner

I`m going to pop to my local pressurised bottle dealer (services and tests co2,scuba bottle etc.) tomorrow to get to the bottom of this date issue. if it is out of date, which I doubt, I will cut my losses and purchase a new bottle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:50 pm 
Learner

i have just taken my bottle to a professional tester to be looked at.
It appears my bottle is not MASSIVELY OUT OF DATE after all, but more massively IN DATE :lol:
it has another 9 years and one month before it needs testing again. :cheers: