NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advantages of two bottles?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Learner

Ok, so I've managed to pick up a second 11lb bottle to go with my system and am now wondering if there are any advantages to forking out for some extra bits and having them both plumbed in together rather then swapping when one is empty?

I will be running a DP setup with a Minimax controller and 100bhp jets.

Cheers

PB: 16@86.19mph off gas, 14.94@90.5mph on gas

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Advantages of two bottles?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 pm 

gotenks1321 wrote:
Ok, so I've managed to pick up a second 11lb bottle to go with my system and am now wondering if there are any advantages to forking out for some extra bits and having them both plumbed in together rather then swapping when one is empty?

I will be running a DP setup with a Minimax controller and 100bhp jets.

Cheers

Hi :)

I run twin 14/15 lb bottles, but for a very particular reason... capacity and length of nitrous running....

You dont really need twin bottles but they DO last a LOT longer and look good as well :)

If you are going to use BOTH bottles at once, make sure you fit a "balance pipe" between the two...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm 
Learner

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

I have to admit that your setup does look very good! I was having a play over the weekend whilst fitting the new pressure gauge and think I'm going to go for the twin bottle setup, it just looks good and with a few of the other bits I have in the boot I'd like to think I can end up with a half decent looking setup for shows/meets etc :)

Could you elaborate on balance pipe please?

I currently have a T-piece on each bottle with the pressure valve for the heater and then the line to the solenoids. What would be the idea way to set this up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm 

gotenks1321 wrote:
Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

I have to admit that your setup does look very good! I was having a play over the weekend whilst fitting the new pressure gauge and think I'm going to go for the twin bottle setup, it just looks good and with a few of the other bits I have in the boot I'd like to think I can end up with a half decent looking setup for shows/meets etc :)

Could you elaborate on balance pipe please?

I currently have a T-piece on each bottle with the pressure valve for the heater and then the line to the solenoids. What would be the idea way to set this up?

See picture.....

Attachment:
Bottle Balance Pipe.jpg
Bottle Balance Pipe.jpg [ 118.68 KiB | Viewed 6354 times ]

Balance pipe is the 5 mm Wizards pipe in the middle with a Y shape... Gauge on left and pressure on right....both on 4 way blocks (Wizards)

The BALANCE pipe also feeds my dash mounted gauge...

Note the TWIN 30 amp relays for the twin bottle heaters..... one heater = one relay >>> TWO heaters = TWO relays...

Attachments:
Bottle Balance Pipe.jpg
Bottle Balance Pipe.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 6354 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:35 am 
Learner

Thanks Brett :)

Could you just have a quick look over the following list and see if I've missed anything to go from one bottle to two please?

• A Y piece to connect the two bottles together and then into the nitrous solenoid
  • A Y piece for the balance pipe which can then feed my dash gauge as yours does
  • A second bottle heater (plus relay)
  • A second bottle bracket
  • A 4 way block to replace the T piece on one of the bottles to include my pressure switch
  • A pair of X10s for the hell of it if there are any laying around at WON :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Learner

I think the balance pipe is only needed if your running two banks of solenoids

I run two bottles I used two separate lines from the bottles to the engine then a Y peice in the engine bay to the solenoid no separate balance pipe it's just more places for leaks to happen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:59 pm 

gotenks1321 wrote:
Thanks Brett :)

Could you just have a quick look over the following list and see if I've missed anything to go from one bottle to two please?

• A Y piece to connect the two bottles together and then into the nitrous solenoid
  • A Y piece for the balance pipe which can then feed my dash gauge as yours does
  • A second bottle heater (plus relay)
  • A second bottle bracket
  • A 4 way block to replace the T piece on one of the bottles to include my pressure switch
  • A pair of X10s for the hell of it if there are any laying around at WON :lol:

All looks fine but ring Ant at WON to check first, when you order them....

The balance pipe is for equalisation of pressure between the two bottle, nothing to do with engine end, by the way...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 pm 
Wizard

Dan!!
If you are only going to use one bottle at a time unlike greedy Brett who runs both :)

You can chuck all your connections for switches etc into the common feed line to the solenoids. So I guess a Tee for the gauge and another Tee for the switch. Then have a Y piece to split this line to the twin bottles. This will give you both bottles available for use. When either bottle is open the common pipe see's the pressure you need for control. If you ARE only using one bottle at a time you can swap the heater over as required. But make sure that you only activate the heater when you have a bottle OPEN??