NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pipe Problems.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 pm 
Learner

Hi
I've had two pipes come out of olives. I've added a DP to my single point kit over winter. Just got round to testing after getting other things done to car.
Was checking for leaks and as I tightened a nut on a seeping pipe and when I recharged the lines the pipe popped out. I don't think I could have tightened it up any more so don't think it was loose.
Then tried system on way to japfest on Sunday and things weren't working so turned power off to kit, but left bottle open, just forgot to turn it off. Decided to give it a quick check before I set off home, to see if I could get it working for way back. I noticed there was no pressure to gauge. Checked pipes and another pipe had come out. So lost a full 11lb bottle of nos :tard:
I had checked all pipes and nuts and know nothing was lose.
Anyone any ideas what the problem could be? Is it likely to be just the olives or could it be the pipes?
Starting to wish I had stayed single point as never had any real problem with that.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Pipe Problems.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:25 am 
Site Admin

thomo8568 wrote:
Hi
I've had two pipes come out of olives. I've added a DP to my single point kit over winter. Just got round to testing after getting other things done to car.
Was checking for leaks and as I tightened a nut on a seeping pipe and when I recharged the lines the pipe popped out. I don't think I could have tightened it up any more so don't think it was loose.
Then tried system on way to japfest on Sunday and things weren't working so turned power off to kit, but left bottle open, just forgot to turn it off. Decided to give it a quick check before I set off home, to see if I could get it working for way back. I noticed there was no pressure to gauge. Checked pipes and another pipe had come out. So lost a full 11lb bottle of nos :tard:
I had checked all pipes and nuts and know nothing was lose.
Anyone any ideas what the problem could be? Is it likely to be just the olives or could it be the pipes?
Starting to wish I had stayed single point as never had any real problem with that.

Sorry to hear you've had problems but we'll sort them out for you ASAP.

Did you buy ALL the parts from us direct (nuts, olives, pipes etc.)?

When exactly did you purchase the parts?

Where exactly have the pipes come unattached from?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 am 
Learner

Hi trev.

I got a full second hand Dp kit from you back around the start of November.
One pipe has come out of a Y block and the other from a T piece. Looks like the olives have only compressed down on one side.

Think I could have a spare olive and nut to try and reseal. What's best way to check that it is on secure?

Cheers
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

thomo8568 wrote:
Hi trev.

I got a full second hand Dp kit from you back around the start of November.
OK it 'might' have been about that time that we took delivery of a new batch of sleeve nuts that we later found had not been machined as well as they should have been and as a consequence ODD ONES did not compress the olives as they should have done. This is the first/only report we've had of them not securing the pipe adequately but if you were unfortunate enough to get some of the worst ones, that may explain the situation.
To confirm or otherwise if this is the cause of the problem, take a look at the end of the nuts that sit against the olive, to see if the internal taper is evenly machined and as deep as that on a pipe that has sealed OK.
If there's little to no taper or it's offset to one side, that will be the cause of the problem.
If that's the case I'm very sorry for that causing the problem and I'll send you some replacements out FOC immediately.

One pipe has come out of a Y block and the other from a T piece.
Where about in the system are these parts situated?

Looks like the olives have only compressed down on one side.
If you can send me a pic of the olive and the taper in the nut that would be helpful and we'll need your address to send you the replacements.

Think I could have a spare olive and nut to try and reseal. What's best way to check that it is on secure?
The best way to check the olives are adequately secure is to remove the pipe from the fitting and try to pull the nut off the pipe, if you see ANY movement of the olive, it isn't tight enough.

BTW we found the fault in the machining of SOME of the nuts a few weeks after we started selling them and we've weeded out the bad ones and had replacements machined, so ALL nuts available since then are perfect.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:53 pm 
Learner

The Y block is right at the bottle where I split to two lines. The other that came out is a T piece half way down on leg that feeds my gauge.

Just bin out and checked them over, had 3 pull off. Was hard to see the difference in the tapped edge. The one that had popped out, was the easiest to see the problem. There is just a hole, no tapered edge at all. Don't know how I never noticed when I fitted it, as hole looks a lot bigger than the pipe. Don't know how it had sealed at all.

Have replaced them with spares I had. They seam to be holding better. Will have to wait and see how things go once I get the bottle filled.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm 
Learner

Sorry about the photos but best I could get on the iPhone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

3 of them look fine and the 4th one looks like it's been drilled out. My guess is that the nuts we supplied were also from our used stock and one must have been used as a special and drilled out for that.

They certainly don't look like the ones I first mentioned.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 am 
Learner

Yes I couldn't see any diffrance with 3 of them. But they did pull off, maybe they were still a bit lose. But I had bin round to tighten them all up the other day. Not sure if I could have got it any tighter. But it is a bit of a pain to hold the Y block while tightening the nut.

Will see how it is once I've got my bottle filled. Probably going to be a few weeks though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Admin

thomo8568 wrote:
Yes I couldn't see any diffrance with 3 of them. But they did pull off, maybe they were still a bit lose. But I had bin round to tighten them all up the other day. Not sure if I could have got it any tighter. But it is a bit of a pain to hold the Y block while tightening the nut.

Will see how it is once I've got my bottle filled. Probably going to be a few weeks though.

Try compressing the olives in a component that's easy to hold first and then carry out the pull test and if OK fit them where they are needed.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)