NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What type of threads are used on the purge ports?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:13 pm 

As the title suggests, what thread is used on the purge port on an X-10 nitrous solenoid? The only real information I can find is from the website on the purge kit page. It indicates at the bottom that it is 1/8 BSPT, and provides links to the correct fitting for 1/8BSPT to 4AN, 3AN, et. al. But all the links are either dead or non-existent. So when I pulled the factory-installed plug out to see for myself what it is, it appears to be straight with a rubber seal in the bottom. This is in conflict with the info on the website because it calls for a tapered pipe. So which is it?

I realize that BSP is a standard in the UK, but these fitting issues are a real problem for US customers. There is nowhere to easily get any of this stuff, all of it has to be special-ordered. Any time I use a WON solenoid, I have to factor in an extra 1-3 weeks in the job just to get fittings. It is a real deterrent to many customers, I have had more than I can count that simply aren't interested in using your stuff just because of the hassle of trying to find the parts to make it work.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: What type of threads are used on the purge ports?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

flyinphill wrote:
As the title suggests, what thread is used on the purge port on an X-10 nitrous solenoid? The only real information I can find is from the website on the purge kit page. It indicates at the bottom that it is 1/8 BSPT, and provides links to the correct fitting for 1/8BSPT to 4AN, 3AN, et. al. But all the links are either dead or non-existent.
I'll have that looked in to and sorted

So when I pulled the factory-installed plug out to see for myself what it is, it appears to be straight with a rubber seal in the bottom. This is in conflict with the info on the website because it calls for a tapered pipe. So which is it?
It's not actually in conflict, it's like this;
1) The port thread is 1/8 BSP (parallel)
2) The port ACCEPTS BOTH BSP & BSPT threads but as BSPT only needs a liquid thread sealer, that's what we normally recomeend.

I realize that BSP is a standard in the UK, but these fitting issues are a real problem for US customers. There is nowhere to easily get any of this stuff, all of it has to be special-ordered. Any time I use a WON solenoid, I have to factor in an extra 1-3 weeks in the job just to get fittings. It is a real deterrent to many customers, I have had more than I can count that simply aren't interested in using your stuff just because of the hassle of trying to find the parts to make it work.
First of all let me assure you that we're doing everything we can to account for the US market, whilst still keeping our European and UK market in mind.
There is actually NO reason for you (or any other American), to have any problems getting the correct fittings quickly and easily, for the following reasons;
1) We're happy to supply the Pulsoids with ALL the fittings any customer requires, when the Pulsoids are ordered
2) Cecil Towner (HTP Performance) carries a range of our fittings
3) Other American customers have located BSP fittings without any problem from hardware shops I believe
4) We can get parts to you QUICKER than you'd get parts delivered from within the USA. This is not wishful thinking, as we frequently do that by getting parts to customers within 24 hours, while parts sent from within the USA have taken THREE DAYS to get to the same destination.

Hopefully you'll be able to spread the word that this is the actual case and that there is NO 'GOOD' reason NOT to choose WON.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!