NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: nitrous vs. outside air
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 pm 

I think this will qualify as one of the stupid questions allowed in this forum, but here goes...

Since nitrous is about 33% oxygen and outside air is roughly 21% oxygen with the rest being primarily nitrogen in both cases, then shouldn't blowing compressed air in to the intake result in about 2/3 the horsepower of a dry nitrous system? And if you were to blow it across the MAF sensor then it would cool the wires and the computer would compensate by adding more fuel and... Well you get the idea.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: nitrous vs. outside air
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:14 pm 
Wizard

You can blow all the compressed air in that you want, but it will still have the same oxygen content. If you could seal the whole intake so the compressed air could make pressure above atmospheric in the manifold you would be able to squeeze more charge by volume at 21% oxygen content into each cylinder. This would give a good boost in power. Thats why i use a supercharger :D

No questions on here are stupid by the way :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 am 
Site Admin

We inject nitrous in LIQUID form not gaseous form and that makes a substantial difference to your comparison.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 pm 

The part about "liquid form" makes sense as this would be very dense. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

It's approx. 3 x denser but that's only part of the benefit over air, as the dramatic heat exchange results in a number of others.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:43 pm 

I've since discovered that this topic has been raised in other forums, but this is the only place on the net where the replies are from those who know what they're talking about. I should explain that I'm only looking for a small gain that can be used to force sandbaggers in to a breakout (bracket racing) and the small nitrous/propane system offered here looks like just the thing although I'd like to mount it a little more securely than what is shown in the pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:37 am 
Site Admin

KPete wrote:
I've since discovered that this topic has been raised in other forums, but this is the only place on the net where the replies are from those who know what they're talking about.
SADLY this is the ONLY place on the net where you'll find GENUINE FACTS rather than BS.
Other forums seem more intent on spewing garbage just to generate interest, rather than insisting on ONLY FACTS being published.
If everyone had to PROVE they knew what they were talking about before posting any old JUNK, the net would be a much more effective media to learn from and there'd be A LOT LESS of it to read.

I should explain that I'm only looking for a small gain that can be used to force sandbaggers in to a breakout (bracket racing) and the small nitrous/propane system offered here looks like just the thing although I'd like to mount it a little more securely than what is shown in the pics.
That would do the job but our SB25 would be the easiest and best way to do the same thing and you'd get more runs from a fill and only need to top up a nitrous bottle.
http://www.noswizard.com/bike-nitrous-k ... s-kit.html

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 am 

I hadn't even looked at the bike stuff. That's interesting. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 pm 
Wizard

KPete wrote:
I've since discovered that this topic has been raised in other forums, but this is the only place on the net where the replies are from those who know what they're talking about. I should explain that I'm only looking for a small gain that can be used to force sandbaggers in to a breakout (bracket racing) and the small nitrous/propane system offered here looks like just the thing although I'd like to mount it a little more securely than what is shown in the
pics.

Ha Ha!!
""I'm only looking for a small gain that can be used to force sandbaggers in to a breakout""

NOS used to do a system called "Sneaky Pete" back in the day. Wizards did one as well which was a small system hidden inside the air filter of a V8. It was called the "Super Stud" I think.

Why dont you tell us what engine you have so we can help?

I guess if you are into bracket racing you dont have to worry about sticking to any rules about engine size or performance etc. I'm guessing that you will do your qualifying runs "off" gas to get a dial in time. And then try to run with gas to half track to try and get your competitor to run harder so you can back off and get him to breakout in front of you. Possibly with you breaking out behind him??

Thats an odd way to try and win I think?

If you are bracket racing why dont you just perfect your run times with or without gas to make sure you are consistent with your reaction times and your ET's?

My race car was broken a couple of months back so I decided to race my tow truck in a bracket race event. Its an old Isuzu Diesel auto. Only took me 3 qualifying runs to dial it in on the sportsman tree. I was running 18.8 seconds. And I won the round against a 10 second car. If folk want to try and gamble with sandbagging against a car with good consistent times they often end up losing anyway in my experience.

If you intend to use nitrous then you need to get some practice runs in to make sure you know where to back off in the run.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm 
Learner

after reading this thread i am confident that i know bugger all about bracket racing.

)()()()()()()()()()()()(()()))))))))))))(((()))))) <-did that one win.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:47 pm 

As stated one of the goals in bracket racing is to be consistent, the other is a good reaction to the lights. Occasional use of nitrous would make no sense except for in one situation. We have what are known as "sandbaggers". These are racers who's cars are considerably quicker than what the time written on the windshield would indicate. Their goal is to cut a good light, and then just pace you, and try to edge you out by maybe a fender length. This results in a win more often than you might think. If I were to have a bit of nitrous at my disposal I could pick up the pace just enough so that we would both be running under our dial ins (that time on the windshield), but only I would know it. I could then slow just before the finish and watch the other guy disqualify himself by breaking out (running under his number). What fun!