NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is this an unusual ratio?
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Learner

Hi all,

Been out fitting the new 11lb bottle bracket today and having a play around with the jet ratios as I feel the car is still running rich on the gas. I've been running a 100 nitrous and 35 fuel for a little while but it doesn't seem to rev cleanly when driving and the static test barely reaches 5k rpm starting at 2k. I tried swapping the fuel jet for a 20 and the static test seems a little better but still not great so I'm starting to think something else is amiss. Is a 1:5 ratio unusual as it seems a bit extreme to me?

Bottle is mounted at 45 degrees with the outlet pointing down, nearly full of gas and has a bottle heater.

Cheers

PB: 16@86.19mph off gas, 14.94@90.5mph on gas

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Is this an unusual ratio?
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm 
Learner

you have taken the dip tube off?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:54 pm 
Learner

Hopefully! .

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 pm 
Learner

Taken the dip tube off?

After playing a bit more I think my ignition isn't up to the job. Swapping the head and clutch tomorrow so will do a full service anyway.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Just to clear up the issue of your bottle mounting can you post a pic please?

There is something certainly wrong with that jet ratio, so either the system is NOT delivering LIQUID (for example; bottle incorrectly mounted and/or Pulsoid filter partially blocked) or as you've just suggested, the ignition isn't adequate.
Have you MEASURED the spark strength?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
Learner

Not got a pic of the current bottle but it is in exactly the same position as the old one. It worked well on my last F but always ran slightly rich so I'm guessing it is down to the car rather than the system

I've not got a spark plug tester but they probably are due changing anyway. I've put the 35 fuel jet back in now so I don't blow anything up :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 am 
Learner

the dip tube is a pipe that goes from the valve to the bottom of the bottle. if you have your bottle mounted that way without a dip tube you'll be getting gas not liquid.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Learner

neiljewell wrote:
the dip tube is a pipe that goes from the valve to the bottom of the bottle. if you have your bottle mounted that way without a dip tube you'll be getting gas not liquid.

Sorry, I thought you were asking if I'd removed it. I've not taken the bottle apart at all so as long as it came with one it's still there :) It's not a WON valve but as soon as the bottle is empty I have one to go on :yes:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Has this set up ever worked correctly?

The bottle position is correct for one of OUR bottles (and a correctly assembled bottle from anywhere else) but as it's not one of our valves, it may not be fitted with a dip tube.

You need to stand the bottle upright and then briefly open the valve a good way to see what exits the bottle. If it produces a BIG plume and turns in to a cloud of nitrous, the bottle has a dip tube fitted, anything less than that and it's either empty or no tube fitted. If that's the case turn the bottle upside down and repeat to prove if it's empty or missing a dip tube.

Replacing aged spark plugs can be a good idea BUT 'MEASURING' the spark strength is a MUST!!!!

http://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-ancill ... ester.html

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
Learner

Thanks Trev, shall give that a go.

The bottle is a recent addition so this is the setting up and testing phase. I have to admit I didn't know that the US valves might not have a dip tube, another reason to buy WON!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Bottles from major US companies will all have dip tubes but not knowing the origin of yours, means it is a possibility that yours doesn't have one.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm 
Learner

Testing will have to wait for another weekend unfortunately. Car is now sitting with no engine so I'll be off to work in one of the others :(

When removing the head I noticed that the ground strap from one of the spark plugs has vanished so that certainly won't be helping things! Stronger bottom end, new head, lightweight flywheel and uprated clutch going in next weekend so going to move the purchase of a controller up my list and up things to a 100bhp shot once this little issue is sorted.